Author Topic: yea yea yea, im new to this, still.  (Read 6856 times)

Offline bri.marie.

yea yea yea, im new to this, still.
« on: July 28, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »
so, now that im on my way to buying a bike, i've got more questions this time around.

1. as a starter bike? ive been looking at the
Dk opsis
og balance 3
but was debating a khe "AM"

which brings me to my second
2. what kind of bike should i go for if i want to ride longer distances, but be be able to get somewhere and trick out?

i need some advice.. i've been wanting to do this for so long now, that im going to do it right, and not just throw myself into something i dont know about.. come on ppl..

Offline RobWire

• Backpacker
Re: yea yea yea, im new to this, still.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
get the opsis, buy new tires and your set.

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:27 PM »
When I first started out I went with the OG Balance, and I LOVED it. I cracked it after doing Decades 1 year later at the seat tube, but I was 235 lbs then.  :P

I'd go with the Opsis, it's just a better deal first starting out. Also, if you feel Flatland just isn't something you have the patience for you can walk away spending much less money.

Offline obstacle1

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:18:59 PM »
Hi,

The St Martin Darwin is not bad at all to begin!!
http://flatlandfuel.com/stmartin2011darwincompletebike.aspx

That depends how much money you've got and you have to be "sure"...

I'm a beginner too,Flatland is very very hard,but the feeling on your bike after is sooo goood!!!

Offline jamesteo

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:55:53 PM »
You have to see whether your new bike comes with a freecoaster hub or not. Wish you all the best in picking up this sport. Go for what you like.

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
I've started without a freecoaster and still don't have one because of their high cost, and I ride and progress anyways. The bike I bought wasn't even a flat bike, it was a mirraco mi6 street bike, untill I got a frame gifted to me about 3 months ago.

You don't really need a freecoaster untill you reach the level required to pull the tricks that require one( rope-a-roni, junkyards...)

Offline bri.marie.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »
agreed on the opsis.

1. as for the freecoaster hub?
standard cassette is gonna make my cranks wanna roll back along with the tire?
as for a free coaster my cranks will just allow my tire to roll forever?
i dont so much know the difference.. to tell you the truth. im trying as much as i can to learn about all of it before i go and spend money, i know i have the patience.. but i need the knowledge first..
2. and tires, what should i go for on that? like i said if im going to be also riding distances..

thanks again guys.. for real.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:07 PM »
agreed on the opsis.

1. as for the freecoaster hub?
standard cassette is gonna make my cranks wanna roll back along with the tire?
as for a free coaster my cranks will just allow my tire to roll forever?
i dont so much know the difference.. to tell you the truth. im trying as much as i can to learn about all of it before i go and spend money, i know i have the patience.. but i need the knowledge first..
2. and tires, what should i go for on that? like i said if im going to be also riding distances..

thanks again guys.. for real.

Freecoasters keep the cranks in one place when the backwheel is rolling backwards, cassettes/freewheels do not.   Freecoasters are not a requirement for flatland, but on some tricks come in really handy.

My suggestion to you, start with a DK Opsis....which is what I did when I started riding again.  Really good beginner bike, that can be upgraded as you progress in the sport.    It comes with a cheap freecoaster that a lot of people will tell you is no good, but mine(the one that came with the bike) lasted for two years.

It makes economical sense too.  Best deal out there on a complete beginner bike!

Tires will be one of the first things you replace, but honestly there's no rush.  They are decent tires that will get you rolling.  Don't worry so much about things like that at first...just ride the bike!  You can spend money all day long on "better" bike parts, but it won't do you any good unless you are riding that bike.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
And as for riding distances...you can do that on an Opsis.  The gear ratio isn't extremely low like some flatland bikes.  It will get you where you are going.  I rode to my spots all the time when I first got my Opsis.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Jodanimal

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:23:35 AM »
thanks for the info! I was thinking about getting an opsis as well, i think u guys just sold me!! :beer:

Offline bri.marie.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
thanks tod, i guess like i said, the more knowledge i have of these parts and what rolls they play will help me to understand the bike more which for some reason makes me feel a a tad bit comfortable before i get into this and dont know whats up ya know? but you gave me what i was looking for, someone who has had one and can relate. and the price is bearing. but on the whole riding distances, would it hurt at all to do that, like if i just felt like riding it would be decent to just cruise like?  and i second that one man. the opsis 2011 it is..    :beer: :beer:

Offline crabbypaddy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
as a fellow noob, i can say that my freecoaster is as good as a cassette; i havent maintained it, evers.

but i havent started to learn any backwards tricks yet.

or maybe its because in Australia the emblem has the emu and the kangaroo, and they can't go backwards they can only go forwards? >:O

edit: for me, the higher i put my seat, the easier it is to cruise, so my quads aren't as stressed when i lean my feet on the pedals/pegs
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 03:42:52 PM by crabbypaddy »

Offline paulbrown692000

• GF Inhabitant
    • Revelation BMX
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 03:40:45 PM »
get the DK, if you see that this is something you want to stay with then up grade.
All things in life are temporary. If going well...enjoy it, they will not last forever. If going wrong don’t worry, they can't last long either.

Offline bri.marie.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
ahaha, nice. the 2010 isnt available anymore, but the 2011 comes with a freecoaster, so i guess ill just have to go with it, :D

Offline Flatland-Cris

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=48775.0

not a bad price
pluss a bike thats been broke in is nicer than somthing new and stiff outta the box !
Keep it flat!