Author Topic: 17403: A video odyssey into York (featuring K Jones!)  (Read 5718 times)

Offline hate5six

• Hitchhiker
    • hate5six.com
17403: A video odyssey into York (featuring K Jones!)
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:45:26 AM »

"17403" is a short chronicle of my most recent trip to York, PA 17403 for Round 4 of the Pro/AM Flatland Circuit competition and the subsequent jams that occurred at the legendary Pit. What's so special about York? If you don’t ride flatland, then probably nothing.

In the mid/late 80's, a group of kids calling themselves "The Plywood Hoods" single-handedly transformed flatland BMX from a sport focused on hopping, stationary tricks complete with showmanship and fancy attire, to an art form rooted in rolling tricks and the direct manipulation of momentum. You'd be hard pressed to reference a current trick that is not a derivative of something Kevin Jones and The Plywood Hoods invented. Is this an overly romanticized view of the history of flatland? Would flatland still have managed to evolve into what it is today had it not been for Kevin and the Hoods?

Flatland represents redefinition. Taking something as conventional as a bike, something created with a single, rigid function in mind, and instead using it to create. The opening line to the soundtrack captures the potential and infinite possibilities manifested through flatland: "So where do we go from here? Just about anywhere."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 04:29:48 AM by hate5six »
Quote from: PinkY_DollY
Quote from: Flatride
because the guy will never change, he is phuked up by nature.

About what you speak? What Phuket?! Phuket is in Thailand, and my sweet bzeke in Russia!

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
Re: 17403: A video odyssey into York (featuring K Jones!)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »
Great edit! Love the washed out 8mm color feel.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
 :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline hate5six

• Hitchhiker
    • hate5six.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »
Great edit! Love the washed out 8mm color feel.

Thanks! Color correcting was a last minute decision but I'm glad I did it.

About what you speak? What Phuket?! Phuket is in Thailand, and my sweet bzeke in Russia!

Doses

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »
"You'd be hard pressed to reference a current trick that is not a derivative of something Kevin Jones and The Plywood Hoods invented. Is this an overly romanticized view of the history of flatland? Would flatland still have managed to evolve into what it is today had it not been for Kevin and the Hoods?"

Although I have the utmost respect for Kevin and Mark, I think the plywood hoods receive a little too much credit when it comes to flatland evolution. I think there are so many people who pushed the envelope and took flatland out of the hopping and boomerang stage such as Oleg Koning(Insanity Roll aka cross footed stickb) , Karl Rothe (Karl Kruzer), Gary Pollak (Pinky Squeks)- Remember Aarron Dull also did the Stick B and Puppet at the same time as Kevin.Craig Lepage,Rueben Castillo,Sean Leslie, Jay Jones,Dennis McCoy,Ross Smith and a large cast of unnamed riders were an intregal components in flatland evolution of the 80's. Maybe some of these guys don't ride anymore but history is history.Let's not turn flatland into religion.

Offline Shortylonghair

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
Sunny, dude........EPIC SON! EPIC! Awesome job

Oh yeah, I thought flatland was a religion. Only thing I practice.  :P

And The PIT is the Western Wall.

OK, nobody freak over the reference.....just a joke fellas.

Offline freestylinkale

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »
Such a sick vid......

Doses

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 07:04:46 PM »
Religion is repressive, you have a God or Gods that you submit to and can never be higher than. Flatland seems to be an activity where anyone can become the best or aspire to obtain a higher level.Look at the past 15 years and how quickly the "God' of flatland can change faces..

Budz

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »
Adam, dont hate. :wub:

Awesome vid Sunny! :mellow: :beer:

Offline hate5six

• Hitchhiker
    • hate5six.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:43:23 PM »
Adam, good points. I certainly didn't mean to denigrate/overlook the contributions of everyone outside the Hoods.

Doses

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:48 PM »
Budz there is not one ounce of hate in my statement. I was simply saying the Plywood hoods didnt create every trick in the book and that anyone who rides has the ability to be as good as they want with the desire,effort and motivation they put into it as being key factors to the success.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
Great video...who did the tunes?  F*ckin' awesome!  Always good to see Kevin Jones footage!

I'll agree with Doses...there were a ton of guys BITD all doing mad sh*t.  Oleg Koning, not many will remember that name, but he did the first scuffing trick!

Props to all the riders holding it down, old and NEW!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:43:41 PM »
Not that anyone should ever doubt Kevin Jones, but I sure thought he was gonna get taken out by that parking lot lamppost at the very end.

Offline charlh5

• Cliffhanger
    • http://flatlandlatino.tk
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:33 PM »
EN ESPAÑOL...

La progresion del flatland continua.... existen corredores  en todo el planeta desde principiantes hasta profesionales.......

PERO KEVIN JONES ES Y SERA POR SIEMPRE EL REY DE ESTE HERMOSO Y MARAVILLOSO DEPORTE..... VIVA EL REY POR SIEMPRE KEVIN JONES........