Author Topic: faulty fly front hub/astern coaster?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline h410G3n

• Funky Chicken
    • My band!
faulty fly front hub/astern coaster?
« on: August 01, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »
I ordered a brand new set of wheels including a fly front hub and an astern coaster included in the wheels from flatlandfuel which I recieved about 10 days ago, but the moment I got them on I had this strange ticking noise, like this:

FlyBikes Front Hub weird noise

At first I thought it was the spokes settling in but the sound persists, and the weird thing is if I apply pressure to the front peg (like going up into a hang 5) the sound stops. Also, if I just do a regular peg wheelie the sound stops as well, it's when I'm riding regularly that the front hub keeps making this noise. The astern hub only does it if I apply pressure to the back peg going into a fire hydrant/cyclone/halflash or if I do any sort of peg wheelie...

WTF has happened to my wheels? :/

LOU4130

Re: faulty fly front hub/astern coaster?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »
Not sure about the front hub. Thats a very odd loud noise.

But the coaster should always be taken apart and greased up real good, even when new. I did that with my Geisha lt, and its been fine. I also did it with the federal coster i got for my other bike, but i havent rode that one yet as i havent assembled the wheel yet. But regreasing the inside of the hubs usually fixes any noise problems for these types of hubs.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:56:02 AM by LOU4130 »

byke

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 02:13:41 AM »
The clicking sound is an unaligned bearing.
This can be due to the bearing, or a badly machined hub/axle.

Contact fly and see what they say.

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
The clicking sound is an unaligned bearing.
This can be due to the bearing, or a badly machined hub/axle.

Contact fly and see what they say.

Do this.

Offline h410G3n

• Funky Chicken
    • My band!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I sent an e-mail to both fly bikes and flatlandfuel in the hope that they can help me out on this. The thing is, the wheel is rolling as smooth as butter but the big "TING" sound it makes is driving me crazy and even though I haven't had any experience with female axles I know they shouldn't sound like that. Hopefully I'll get an update tomorrow, till then I'm gonna regrease the astern hub once again in the hopes that it'll function better.

Offline back2flat35

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
my fed v2 coaster did the same ping noise for about a day. still havent greased it and its perfect.
i have 3 of these hubs and they all did the same.