Author Topic: can someone tell me how to do a halflash?  (Read 4013 times)

Offline crabbypaddy

• Funky Chicken
can someone tell me how to do a halflash?
« on: July 09, 2011, 05:12:55 AM »
finally got around to putting up a video.. when i try and whip the frame around it hurts my knee.
do you guys push with your foot only, or do you use your knee as well?
the vids going to take about 20 minutes to upload

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
Re: can someone tell me how to do a halflash?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:51:32 AM »
you're not yet fully committing to staying on that front peg in this video. it looks to me like you're still just sort of "trying" it out. most everyone does that at first. shift your weight smoothly onto the front peg and keep it there.  you're going to stay balanced on the front peg on one wheel whilst the rear end comes all the way around. meditate on that before you ride :)
you might fall forwards, you might hit the ground, (I did a lot!) but you have to fully commit to learn the trick-it's one of the toughest things to learn, but once you get it, the world is yours. good luck!

edit: for pushing off, I still remember the skin on my right knee getting raw from contact. it gets better. you may get to the point where you transfer onto the front wheel and just control that back end without propping it up on your legs. does your joint hurt, or just the skin?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:54:54 AM by jm »

Offline Kevin G.

• Backpacker
  • You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike.
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
It's also important to lean to the right a little bit

Offline Andrew..

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »
Maybe try learning how to roll steamrollers so you can get an idea of what it feels like to coast on the front wheel whilst leaning over. The balance point is fairly similar so when you can get a steamroller the half whiplash should come quite easy. If you can't be bothered with that yet, just commit to leaning forwards and staying forwards and not touching your foot to the ground.
Isn't that bike a bit small for you?

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »

Hey man I really don't know if you noticed that if you want to do a HALFLASH you are starting with a wrong leg position!!  ;D

Your right leg should go on front and you left on the back.

Anyways, everyone one here is right. You are just kicking the frame very hard but still leaning backwards and that's why your back end doesnt lift. You have to lean forwards to the point where your head is at the same level as the front of your wheel (you'll adjust that depending on your height and weight) and the slightly "jump" or lean a little more forward so you are standing only on the front peg and your back wheel lifts. You have to "kick" the frame very very gently and just try to mantain your balance on front.

That is the only advice I can tell  you. But also say that I was still riding alone by the time I learned that trick so it took more than a month to have it dialed. For me the "worst" part was to commit myself to let the tire touch the floor again 'cause i always thought I would faceplant on the floor.

Keep on riding and make more videos!!

:beer: CHEERS  :beer:
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

Hey man I really don't know if you noticed that if you want to do a HALFLASH you are starting with a wrong leg position!!  ;D

Your right leg should go on front and you left on the back.

Umm, well he's got the right name for it.  What you described is an Ashtray Babyface.  But yeah, just a name...and you gave some good advice. :beer:

My only advice is just give a go.  I mean, fully commit.  What you're doing in the video is training yourself to step out of it every time, even if you do have a fighting chance at it.

Question.  Do you have Fork Wheelies dialed?  That trick could help you learn to roll, with out such a big commitment.  You could learn it with out holding the seat.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 03:41:41 PM »
 Ashtray baby face? What??  :P I suppose I haven't been riding long enough  :P Cool name though!!

Also now I see that on the post title it says halflash but then on the video title it says whiplash.

Well I just hope you get the trick!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
Ashtray baby face? What??  :P I suppose I haven't been riding long enough  :P Cool name though!!

Also now I see that on the post title it says halflash but then on the video title it says whiplash.

Well I just hope you get the trick!

Yeah, I think it was 1987...a trick invented by Jim Johnson. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
HAHA a year before I was born! Now I feel little in this world   :beer:

Offline crabbypaddy

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:32:55 AM »
thanks, its good to kn ow that there are others that went through the same thing. If i can remember this ill post a progression vid when i get halflashes

Offline Norbon2wheels

• 4 wheels > 2 wheels > 1 wheel (simple evolution)
    • Norbon2wheels' Youtube channel. Please check it out!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
Hey there! From what i have seen in your video, i can only agree with the other riders:
You are not leaning forward enough, and thats why the back end comes down so soon.
I know im not much of a talent in this sport, as i started learning this thing aswell (like 2 months ago), and still i started riding flat 6 years ago :S. After i got used to it, i figured out that its nearly the same as i got into a hang 5 (only need to counter-balance the frame if you want to travel without puting the back end down as soon as the frame turn around 180 degrees).
The steps to it i belive are:
1.: Start out with your left foot on the front left peg, and your right foot on the back left peg.
2.: Lean the bike to your right a bit.
3.: Now comes the big part: Push your bars forward. When you do that, the back wheel is about to leave the ground.
4.: As soon as you feel the back end coming up, you need to push the end of the bike with your right foot just a little bit to the right (if the bike is leaning to the right as described earlier, the frame should start spinning around easily).
5.: From this point, its up to you to counter the weight of your bike's back end with using your right foot, and a little more work on the bars with your arms to balance.
6.: If its enough for you, you can let the back end drop when it traveled around 180 degrees. From this point, you need to get comfortable with rolling in this position. After all this, its up to you how you continue, there are alot of ways.

This trick requires alot of dedication, and to eliminate the fear of you bailing out of it badly. While most tricks are a bit frightening at first, all that you fear of will disappear once you get that trick down for the first time!

I have some footage of what i belive you would be interested in. The difference is that when i do this, i don't let the back end down when it travels halfway, i try to counter the movement till the end changes direction, and comes back to the beginning pose. Here is the vid (the actual thing is from 3min 29sec, with some failed attempts cut together, and landing 4 at the end):

Norbon2wheels: small flatland session + new trick for me (16.06.2011.)

Hope i could help you with this, Good luck with the upcoming tricks! Keep on riding dude!

Offline wolverines

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
Quote from: bransyeah on July 09, 2011, 03:41:41 PM

Ashtray/babyface....rally's/checker's. Its all the same.
 =)