Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43384 times)

Offline Striperjake

Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2007, 10:04:58 PM »
44 years old. Damn, I'm 44. It sounds really old when you say it out load. Anyway. Started Flatland riding less than a month ago. My wife bought my bike for me for my 44th b-day because she didn't know what else to get me and was tired of  listening to me say "Someday i'm gonna get one of those flatland bikes and learn some cool tricks." Well, today is the day!!!!

It's nice to see other old farts out there beating their shins up instead of sitting on the couch yelling at the TV about how they could play better "Fill in Sport Here" than those A-holes.

Keep in up guys and remember it's Olds Cool not Old School.

Jake

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2007, 11:59:46 PM »
44 years old. Damn, I'm 44. It sounds really old when you say it out load. Anyway. Started Flatland riding less than a month ago. My wife bought my bike for me for my 44th b-day because she didn't know what else to get me and was tired of  listening to me say "Someday i'm gonna get one of those flatland bikes and learn some cool tricks." Well, today is the day!!!!

It's nice to see other old farts out there beating their shins up instead of sitting on the couch yelling at the TV about how they could play better "Fill in Sport Here" than those A-holes.

Keep in up guys and remember it's Olds Cool not Old School.

Jake

I don't know who rocks more you or your wife! haha

You know how cool that is she did that! You give her a high 5 from me man!

Offline Striperjake

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2007, 12:22:15 AM »
Boosted  one,

True dat. She is the kewlest. She has been high fived.

Thanx

Peace
Jake

Offline FLATDADDY

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2007, 12:42:49 AM »
I just turned 36 on the 20th. I started riding flat around 1983 when I saw fred blood doing power mowers and lawnmowers at Harbor BMX race track here in san Pedro CA. Soon after, I met Mike Buff and started riding flatland and gave his half pipe a try (not such a good idea at the time). I was fortunate enough to ride with guys like Pete Agustin (disgustan agustin) that is, Chris Day, El Cid, Frank Garrido (one of my all time favorite memories of any persons personality as a youth the guy was hilarious), Craig Grasso, and just about anyone who rode at the original redondo spot called The Spot (right next to capt kidds fish market). I actually rode there at the underground last weekend. Had a good little 2 hr solo session. I stopped riding for awhile around 1990 when I went to college. I brought my bike when I moved and watched it collect dust for about two years. Then I rode street and dirt for a short stint just to stay on a bmx bike, rode dh mountain bikes for a awhile attaining many injuries and good memories. Right around 1995 I started riding again (flat). In 1996 I started working for odyssey and was very active in the bmx/flatland world up until about 2002 when my family began to grow. We had a baby girl and I quit my childhood dream job to find work closer to home as well as less hours to spend with my new found joy. I went from riding 4-6hours a day to barely being able to get 4-6 hours in a month. Basically I had stopped riding again for about 9months straight and then the car accident happened. Four of the discs in my lower lumbar(back) were crushed and are now miss shappened. My upper thorax (neck) suffered basically the same thing but the discs are worse and when I move certain ways they push into the nerve along my spine which causes me to lose all feeling on the left side of my body. The accident and th e condition I was in after really put everything into perspective for me. I now find time to ride. I promissed myself if I could ride flat again I can do anything I used to. I for sure don't ride like I used to. I have lost just about anything spinning, I have changed my bike setup, everything has been affected. I will say that my nemisis trick has always been hang 5's. Since the accident I have added that trick to my bag. As well I lift weights everyday and do tons of stretching daily even if I don't ride. I now have three children they rule, my oldest girl just turned 5 and I bought her her first bike. It has training wheels and she is learning peg wheelies on them.

Offline Felon_Monk

• Hitchhiker
  • Okinawa Japan... Moving to Tokyo: May 2009
« Reply #124 on: November 06, 2007, 09:02:05 AM »
Sup all, Im 30 years old, about to hit 31 in 3 months.Im American but live in Okinawa Japan where i ride with the Locals. Originally from Long Beach California, I had many bmx bikes as a kid and teen years.. my favorite was a GT Performer and a Diamond Back i had in 93. Im a snowboarder/Skater by nature... But during the summer while living in alaska in 2002 i needed a hobby .. decided to buy a REDLINE C-Note and start some street riding.

I soon bought a motorcycle and focused on that in the summers... While in Japan i have been into cars.. (S14silvia for you car people). Well, i wanted a change.. took my bike back out and met up with a local flatlanding in my neighborhood. Went to the local biek shop "RideHot" a few weeks ago and he was talkin about how heavy my bike was and that if i bought the parts i wanted he would be ripping me off because i could buy a complete for a hundered or so more... 2 days later i bought a flatland bike and have been practicing every day since.. i love it.. and im getting some of the old moves back.. slowly but surely.
My Ride: Quamen G8
07 Otokogi - Zerosiki DEAD

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2007, 11:52:39 PM »
Sup all, Im 30 years old, about to hit 31 in 3 months.Im American but live in Okinawa Japan where i ride with the Locals. Originally from Long Beach California, I had many bmx bikes as a kid and teen years.. my favorite was a GT Performer and a Diamond Back i had in 93. Im a snowboarder/Skater by nature... But during the summer while living in alaska in 2002 i needed a hobby .. decided to buy a REDLINE C-Note and start some street riding.

I soon bought a motorcycle and focused on that in the summers... While in Japan i have been into cars.. (S14silvia for you car people). Well, i wanted a change.. took my bike back out and met up with a local flatlanding in my neighborhood. Went to the local biek shop "RideHot" a few weeks ago and he was talkin about how heavy my bike was and that if i bought the parts i wanted he would be ripping me off because i could buy a complete for a hundered or so more... 2 days later i bought a flatland bike and have been practicing every day since.. i love it.. and im getting some of the old moves back.. slowly but surely.

I used to be HUGE into cars... building turbo Mitsubishis...racing them. I still do it but not nearly like I used to.

Simply put cars aren't NEARLY as fun and satisfying to the soul like flatland is. I know you know what I mean.

SilviaS14.. nice!

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2007, 03:28:52 AM »
WOOOHOOOOoooo I am 40! ;D My name is SallyO'Mally, and am 40!

Holy Cow...just turned ole age on the 3rd...RadDad67 holy cow, I am older, than most of you..WAH! :angry:...LOL...Sk8er by soul...biker by heart. Krazy by nature. Big Ole ASC, but not a farty gal! ^_^
I think we all have more fun in this post than those *cough* other posts. :beginner:

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:33:37 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline TheDirector

« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2007, 06:16:15 AM »
Im 36 and use to race BMX at the local track here (Oakland NJ). I had a local shop sponsorship and my friends built a track for us to practice on everyday.

Lot of time passed and now Im 36 and overweight. Three years ago I sold my Thruster Tri-Pod from 1983. I regretted it and thought I should fix up my 1982 Supergoose. After it was fixed up I started riding it a little this year. I got my hands on an FBM Angel of Death frame I just did a build on. But I dont have a local track anymore as Im in Nutley NJ. Im not sure I want to do street. I mostly just want to try tricks and flatland looks pretty ideal to get back into BMX and try something different. Plus I saw that Luna frame and fell in love with it recently.

So here I am. Im so looking forward to the spring. Whats my first trick going to be?!?!?1

Offline Sinister Proboscis

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »
im 46 years old and still ride
enough said
lates

You are an inspiration!  I'm 42; my younger bro just turned 40 and is looking to get into flatland.  I don't feel old, but I SMELL old.   ^_^  Last time I tried flat was around 1987 on a Torker . . .
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:36:45 PM by Sinister Proboscis »

Offline LVSR

• Cliffhanger
  • I don't do 'tricks' I do 'illusions'
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
im 46 years old and still ride
enough said
lates

You are an inspiration!  I'm 42; my younger bro just turned 40 and is looking to get into flatland.  I don't feel old, but I SMELL old.   ^_^  Last time I tried flat was around 1987 on a Torker . . .

You definatly smell old,  kinda like rotting vegetables and ben-gay.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security" --Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #130 on: December 20, 2007, 12:48:38 AM »

So here I am. Im so looking forward to the spring. Whats my first trick going to be?!?!?1

Endo
trackstands
forkglide and  rideout
backwards steam rollers
peg wheelies

Try those..it'll keep ya busy... and there good basic tricks to work off of later.

Offline Sinister Proboscis

« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2007, 08:53:16 PM »
 LVSR Wrote:  You definatly smell old,  kinda like rotting vegetables and ben-yag.
[/quote]

Watch it, happy ass, or I'll go all Godfather Part 2 on yer ass!  :ph34r: :beer: ;D

Offline LVSR

• Cliffhanger
  • I don't do 'tricks' I do 'illusions'
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »
LVSR Wrote:  You definatly smell old,  kinda like rotting vegetables and ben-yag.

Watch it, happy ass, or I'll go all Godfather Part 2 on yer ass!  :ph34r: :beer: ;D
[/quote]

Bring it on, grandpa!
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security" --Benjamin Franklin

Offline leeroy002

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
iv now been 30 for 3 days

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »
Happy Belated birthday geezer ;D :beer: