Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43648 times)

Budz

Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2007, 04:25:31 AM »
while i was at the King of NY contest at Mullaly in NY, Casio was telling me that he wants to bring flatland back to the contest for next year, and also, get this, an OLD SKOOL class where us old dogs will get to go head to head. ;D

norcalmutt

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2007, 04:27:36 AM »
thats be cool
the 35 and over flatland class
lol
got to love that!!

Offline Darkwhip

• Funky Chicken
  • I learned 540s in 1989
« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2007, 04:29:05 AM »
OMG... I'll have to ride more LOL

norcalmutt

« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2007, 04:30:57 AM »
ha ha ha
i guess you do!
hee hee

Offline Rompy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2007, 04:39:25 AM »
Denny from Montreal, Quebec here. Im 39 now.

Got my hands on a BMX back in 1980 and rode until 1991. Never touched a bike again until 2003, thats when a bought a new bike and decided to ride again. What inspired me was when i saw that one of my old friends John Cote aka King of Flatland guy was still riding up until 2000 i think. And of course when a saw a video of Brian Chapman it was all over i had to ride!

In 2005 i got another new bike and did not even have the chance to ride it then bam i put my back out and my knee swelled up and that was because of something else not the bike!. All kinds of problems with sciatica and lower back (it was really really ruff). I lost like 30 pounds, went from a waist 39 to 34 !

But i managed to slowly get my self out of it with physio therapy, chiro, swimming, weight training and diet! At this point i was more focussed and was able to slowly ride again by end of 2005 and more in 2006. Now in 2007 im feeling better and trying to push flatland as much as possible.

Ironically i think the riding helps me alot! if i dont ride for a week i feel it. Anyhow if i can ride again with the problems i endure daily with sciatica and back problems anyone else can!!

View my profile on my site: http://zulu2.dyndns.org/~denny/bmx/cms/publish/index_riders/Denny_Stamos.shtml

Now go out and ride!!

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:47:03 AM by RompyFlat »

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2007, 05:39:30 AM »
hey , i m 30 now, will be 31 in december..............

but i would not be ashamed of posting in here , because  i wouldn't want to  go though riding , just starting out,  i m glad i got to see alot of the highlights thoughout the years that i have spent on my bike!

tim

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2007, 03:04:16 AM »

Got my hands on a BMX back in 1980 and rode until 1991. Never touched a bike again until 2003, thats when a bought a new bike and decided to ride again. What inspired me was when i saw that one of my old friends John Cote aka King of Flatland guy was still riding up until 2000 i think. And of course when a saw a video of Brian Chapman it was all over i had to ride!

In 2005 i got another new bike and did not even have the chance to ride it then bam i put my back out and my knee swelled up and that was because of something else not the bike!. All kinds of problems with sciatica and lower back (it was really really ruff). I lost like 30 pounds, went from a waist 39 to 34 !

But i managed to slowly get my self out of it with physio therapy, chiro, swimming, weight training and diet! At this point i was more focussed and was able to slowly ride again by end of 2005 and more in 2006. Now in 2007 im feeling better and trying to push flatland as much as possible.

Ironically i think the riding helps me alot! if i dont ride for a week i feel it. Anyhow if i can ride again with the problems i endure daily with sciatica and back problems anyone else can!!

View my profile on my site: http://zulu2.dyndns.org/~denny/bmx/cms/publish/index_riders/Denny_Stamos.shtml

Now go out and ride!!

Man you're lucky to be riding! That's a whole load of stuff with the back and that's tough to get back no pun intended!

Ride on!

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2007, 03:57:14 AM »
MOS...well son of gun! Who says flatland is dead in Ontario?!

Rob Savard(Hello Rob if you are out there, maybe "a bring back Rob to Flatland Jam", last time I spoke to him, there was a 2nd baby on the way and it was no more flatland),suggested to do an Ole school jam along with a young bucks jam 2years ago and if Action Sports Coalition would be interested. I might consider putting something like this as part of The ASC Jam at UTM in early 2008. Everyone is getting old. Holy Cow in 11days I will be 40...AH! Mind you I spend the whole year saying I'm 40 so I can get use to it, I don't really care, only means no more proving crap to anyone, its also nice to be around people who are not uptight about life and who are comfortable in their skin, after all earned every crow line around those eyes.

Anyway, lets make the whole 2008 year, an ole riders dedication year! RadDad are you 40 yet?

I am not a Flatlander, I love the art/sport as said before and I only wish I took it up after Skateboarding instead DH Riding , this has caused much body damage to my overall riding life. I still ride my Bikes though. RadDad I'm thrilled to see your wife taking on Flatland, I wish it was hopeful for me but if I want to keep riding any bike at all, not sure right now. Right now, I support through events, behind the scenes for action sports so be it that is my only way in the present.

I'm so happy to be doing an ART Show representing ASC event posters, and let me tell ya, the black and white poster with Brandon Fenton looks amazing on 18x24' photo paper, and so do the Flatland DVD nite posters....framed very nice. Many people will get to see these from all walks of life, Nov 17th. That's enough to inspire the likes of me to equally support BMX...N
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 05:16:26 PM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline Rompy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2007, 06:57:46 PM »

Now go out and ride!!

Man you're lucky to be riding! That's a whole load of stuff with the back and that's tough to get back no pun intended!

Ride on!

thanks BoostedOne, ya i am happy i can do most everything i could before, right now i cant stay sitting for very long and standing in same position. I have to be moving as much as possible.

When i feel good i go ride, right now its just finding the spare time thats hard.

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »
I will turn the BIG 40 on December 3. My wife is planing a Jam for my Bday- still don't have a name for it yet. She has been looking around for a good riding spot to rent for the day. I am looking forward to turning 40 and still having the ablity not only to ride but to make progression with my riding.
  I was hardly a very talented rider when I was in my Teens. I would try and try hard but never made alot of progress. In my late 30's I made more progression in 1 year that I ever did as a teen riding. I still have a bit more left in me

In "2008" Progression with be Great!!!!

I can't wait to see what every one is doing then. I am hoping to get a senior citizen discount for comp entery fee..hahaha I want to start up a 40 and Up Class.

Keep on Riding!!!

my proflie on BMX Freestyler
www.bmxfreestyler.com/markdandridge.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 09:42:02 PM by raddad67 »

Offline Rompy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2007, 10:51:33 PM »
Timo rocks!! :beer:

I love your style, mixing old and new! And the definate bonus of doing it all on an Ozone or StreetBeat!

please keep making your videos, i love watching them!

Offline Darkwhip

• Funky Chicken
  • I learned 540s in 1989
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
OMG Best video EEVVVVVAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That made me feel all good about ridin.
That looked fun.

Offline LVSR

• Cliffhanger
  • I don't do 'tricks' I do 'illusions'
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2007, 03:06:32 PM »
i'm a 33 year old who STILL can't seem to let go of my DeGroot grips(youth).  it was a schoolday in oct. of 86 when my friend brought a bmx action mag to school. i saw a Schwinn ad with Jason Parks doing a lawnmower in front of a big Godzilla statue, and i said to jim, "dude, i'm gonna learn to do tricks on a bike like that." got my first trick bike on Christmas Eve- a schwinn predator freeform-z. i was 13 at the time. over the past 20 years, i got into all forms of freestyle-flat, street, ramps, park, dirt. now as my body has grown more ache-prone, i basically only ride flat. of course, over those 20 years, i had gotten into some other things, and liquor was probably the worst. it attracted me away from my bike. dang devil juice. not completely away, but enough to say i was more of an alcoholic than a bike rider. i finally pulled my head out of my ass and became a quitter! yup, i quit DRINKING! and boy howdy, let me say riding with a clear head-there is nothing better! i also had a letter printed in the dec. 06 issue of RideBMX titled "20 years deep". even on this day, and i can see for a while more, all i do is eat, sleep, work, and everything flatland. its almost like a drug. some drugs hurt, some make you feel euphoria, some leave you confused- just like riding flat. my days of drinking and partying are done, so now i can put all my focus into squeezing 20 more years out of this earthen baggage my soul resides in on my riding. i guess the only way i will stop riding any time soon is if i go blind or become a quad or lose my legs. i don't compete, i have never attended a big jam and hell, i dont even listen to music most of the time i ride. i'm still learning new manuvers and linking older tricks with my "new" ones. i hope you all get levels of satisfaction from riding that is so hard to put into words you just say "you gotta know what i mean!"

Don't say that the only way that you will quit riting would be because you go blind; that's unfair to say as for I am doing it now.

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security" --Benjamin Franklin

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
Timo rocks!! :beer:

I love your style, mixing old and new! And the definate bonus of doing it all on an Ozone or StreetBeat!

please keep making your videos, i love watching them!

I agree! 

And Timo gets credit for having what I think has got the be rarest and coolest freestyle bike ever, - Ozone.  How did you ever find that? 

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »
...and a great SK8 board collection. Gator + the Powell/Bones stuff... a nice mint 2Fresh!
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE