Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43629 times)

moncho

Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2007, 04:52:33 AM »
35 years old, ride with my kids pretty often:

norcalmutt

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »
CAN WE ALL SAY

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BIKE WORTH $$$700.00

PICTURE OF RIDING WITH KID.....PRICELESS

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2007, 09:55:52 PM »
I was at Woodward in late July in '87, '88 and '89.  I definitely remember Bronco and I think Joe Ritch was the other ramp instructor in '89."

In '87 I had only heard rumors of "forward rolling tricks."  I thought it involved sort of "un-squeaking" the tire.  I walked into the barn and I saw a guy learning whiplashes and my fragile mind exploded.  Later that day I got to see scuffing for the first time.  I feel so lucky to have been at camp right as the flatland dam was breaking.

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2007, 11:43:45 PM »
I was at Woodward in late July in '87, '88 and '89.  I definitely remember Bronco and I think Joe Ritch was the other ramp instructor in '89."

In '87 I had only heard rumors of "forward rolling tricks."  I thought it involved sort of "un-squeaking" the tire.  I walked into the barn and I saw a guy learning whiplashes and my fragile mind exploded.  Later that day I got to see scuffing for the first time.  I feel so lucky to have been at camp right as the flatland dam was breaking.

The first front rolling trick I ever saw was McCoy in 1988 doing hang-5's at his Haro show. Was like...wow!!

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2007, 01:01:56 AM »

the hottest stickers where the Kuwhara's and Hutch's too probably.

I remember all that stuff. Greg was a trip, he had started "bonehead" and I got some of his shirts, and stickers and stuff. I have a bonehead sticker on my woodward trunk still.

wasn't the guy that invented the toboggan there that year too. I forget his name, some bmx pro. But, he carried around that picture for all the campers to see.

I still have a huge batman pin that I got off Greg in a huge trade that summer.

Flatland in the barn, man that was a trip.

Offline JIMBO420

• Backpacker
  • HARDCORE
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2007, 05:19:20 AM »
Man, I rode street for about 6 hours last night, and I am sore as a mofo

Offline khelagger

• Backpacker
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2007, 05:34:06 AM »
You know what i miss? Zines i remember buying stylin' from dave fox at a afa comp. I could never get my hands on a aggro rag issue though.

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »
Rosie- I will have to dig my Aggro Rags up for you to check out next time.  Brett

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2007, 06:20:49 PM »
Brett, you should scan some of them. We'd all love to see them. Nothing better than a photocopied Zine... Man, kids today have it so good...

Anyone remember EZ Zine? I think Gregg Overstreet did this one?

I cracked up when I read this page... considering who wrote it.

Offline spertia

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
I still have a bunch of old photocopied zines that were distributed at Southern U.S. contests (mostly NBL) in the late '80s.  Anyone remember "The Unexplained" or "The Walrus?"  Funny stuff.

Offline khelagger

• Backpacker
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »
I used to get a zine called team welfare it just started showing up at my house, i think they got my address from trend like ride did. Anyone here ever ordered from trend back in the day? I still wish i ordered that anarchic adjusment shirt til this day.

Offline gpratt

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2007, 06:49:43 PM »
Hey everyone - I'm 30 (so barely fit in this thread, ha) and just recently started getting back into riding with my old pal, JDF here on the board. It's been beyond fun, it's been incredible. I bought a Haro F2 which I know isn't the greatest bike for flat, but for my needs it's fine. I've managed to relearn everything I could do before (we stopped about 15 years ago, after about four years of seriously heavy riding). Crackpackers (well, they're giving me a bit of a hard time, but I'm getting there), Boomerangs, double firehydrants, firehalls, front/backyards, all manner of scuffing funky chicken-esque combos, backwards whiplashes and hang fives.. funny, the same tricks that always got me still get me (why can't I do a whiplash yet? getting close, though!). It's been SO great getting back into it. The only trouble is finding time now! Wish we had all that time like we did back when we were 15. But I look forward to progressing and learning new tricks. I can't believe I've been neglecting this part of me for all these years! Now I just think about riding all the damn time...

Here's a clip of me:
Small | Large

:beer:Cheers,
Greg

Offline chosking

« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2007, 01:45:15 AM »
36 in September, grew up on bikes, rode BMX up til probably 87. The last trick I was trying to master back then was the tailwhip, not sure when the detangler and stem with a cable hole came in but we had none of that gear, we'd take the rear brake cable and hook it to the front brake and leave it dangle, the bars could then just about spin one rotation.
After playing with mountain bikes and even buying lycra and a road bike, I just recently bought a new BMX and Matt Wilhelm's Ground Rules DVD...after 20 years I've got that damn tailwhip nailed! A few other basics are just about there. Still much to learn, and still much fun to be had. THE best money I've spent in years.
I just got my younger brother to revisit his youth and buy himself a new skateboard, we had so much fun out cruising together yesterday, love it!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 01:46:58 AM by chosking »

norcalmutt

« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »
STILL RIDING AND RIDING AND RIDING
LIKE TODAY I RODE.
lol

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2007, 04:57:29 PM »
You know what i miss? Zines i remember buying stylin' from dave fox at a afa comp. I could never get my hands on a aggro rag issue though.

I never got a copy of Aggro Rag either - I did buy the shirt when I was 13 and was immediatly forbidden by my folks to wear it.  : ) I don't think I ever went to one of those NBL comps without coming home with at least three zines, four shirts (2B) and a million stickers. 

Happy Zine - Jimmy Deaton did this one. - Virginia What happened to that guy?
Ezine - my man Gregg Overstreet, wayy before moving to Athens, before Lifetime BMX, before riding for Diamond Back, before quitting riding - we miss you Gregg!
Slammin' - MY zine! Savannah, GA. scene!  (1989-1992)  That zine actually got me a scholarship.
Wire - Keiran Chapman/New England
The Cookbook! - Hal/2B, full size.  Meant to be a real magazine but never made it that far.  I still have mine, do you?

I never got a copy of Atomic Circle of Chaos but I heard it was good. 

Funny how things are SOO different now.  These days you show up at a contest and you've already seen the tricks, the people, the bikes, everything....up to about a week beforehand on the Internet.  Back then we'd only get fuzzy photocopied UFO style photos of insane new tricks that came out months before but were just coming to public awareness.