Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43392 times)

Offline Mazur

• Cliffhanger
  • Central New York Freaks!
    • Void Dweller Industries
Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 12:29:44 AM »
34. Since 1989. Competed some in '90-'92. Never 'quit', just found more time to fit it in these days.

-m-

Offline johnu773

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 08:44:01 AM »
 i'll be 38 soon. riding since 1985.  back then we rode EVERYTHING(dirt,racing,flat,ramps)  i got back into flat 2 years ago and found out i had a broken leg and torn acl for over six years. i've since had it repaired and i am back to riding flat only.

riders/people i'd like to thank for helping me out and sticking by me in times of trouble...
MY WIFE AND KIDS
chris bulvan(r.i.p.)
paul hahn(letsgo)
mike stotsky(ketch bikes)always a true friend with or without riding
hiro tschida(introduced me to so much flatland)
matt wilhelm and all the oaktown pimps(thanks for trying to open my eyes to my wasteful ways...trouble corner)
al sprandle,adam stojentin,junior and all the real soul riders downtown
mark murphy and paul osika(for not judging me by who i associated with)
nocturnal bmx(thanks for the killer deals)
anna at grand cycles(millions of deals over the years)
pat at fuel(thanks for supplying our sport and feeding our addiction)
anyone i've dealt with on global-flat. thanks for hearing me out
RIDE ON!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:54:05 AM by johnu773 »

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
I'm 35 and guess I've been around more or less since 1987. Never really quit, but I didn't ride much the last yr of college (mainly because of a girl) and couldn't do much riding throughout 1997-2000 because of knee problems.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 03:47:44 PM »
I'm 35 too.  I got back into it because of the people, pure and simple.  And I had some unfinished goals in my riding that I keep adding to everyday.  I don't think of myself as being an oldhead though.

Thlayli

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 05:08:39 PM »
34. Since 1989.

Wow, you've been 34 for a long time, man.  ;D

Offline x james x

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 10:44:53 PM »
32  ;D

norcalmutt

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 11:02:44 PM »
man healing after 40 years old for flatland sucks
i got this banged up knee and i wanted to ride yesterday
but i cant and im riding today no matter what
i feel good as i just popped 3 allegry pills and im light
headed and im a feather
yeah hooooooooooooooooo
ok drugs are not good!

alavert and allegraD
i looove ya

Offline Matt Hulgan

• Backpacker
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 06:18:46 PM »
I'll be 34 in a few weeks and I've been riding since '85.  Untill 2 years ago riding was a priority.  Now it's more of a hobby than an obsession.

I really miss jumping but 2 knee surguries in the '90 made me recognize that I'd have more longevity riding just flat.  It's been 9 years since my last surgury so the plan seems to be working.

norcalmutt

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 08:09:54 PM »
knee surgery and knee injuries suck
thats for sure
im back on the bike tho now
yahoooooooooooo

Offline fredaubailly

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 09:18:12 PM »
I'm 35. I've been "riding" a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away of course) for a few years. I mean "riding"... At the time it was more reading Bicross Magazine (french mag from that time) and dreaming about the tricks I could do than trying to get tricks dialed. I quited in 92.
Life was good then. I had a good job. Little money in the bank. I was good lookin... ;D
And then in 1999 flatland stroke again. I bought a bike (a Dragonfly Uzi) and started messing aroung. I was in Paris, France at the time. Then I met the guys who were going to be good friends 'o mine : Manu Massabova, Christophe Dassie and Armin Batoumeni. At least, being riding with them everyday motivated and me made me learn tricks like cliffhangers or hitchikers... That's been the time I travelled for flatland : USA (California), Spain, Portugal, Germany, England, Holland... I even entered the Worlds in Beja in 2003 ! (I ended almost last cause I cannot manage with stress but still...).
2003, a big turn in my life. My girlfreind dumped me. I went through the hardest times of my life. Almost passed away from stupid act. Quit my job. Sold my bike and stuff for dirt cheap... Spent a few time in a hospital. 2003 is the year I would never went through ! F*uc you 2003 !!!
2005 turned to be a way better year for me. I started a new pro activity that I loved : designing and making furnitures. I'm my own boss and I do something I love... And I met THE girl. The one I made a baby with. I was away from flatland ! I was saved !!!
And then... Oh no !!!! Somebody told me I could get a Federal Fraction from FF for a few bucks... I couldn't resist and build a bike again !!!! Dam !!
So here I am, riding almost every evening, having fun again on my "child bike"...  ;D
Life is nice right now. Hope it will last !!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:20:15 PM by fredaubailly »

norcalmutt

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 03:57:02 AM »
YEAH CASPER
you did go thru some hard times there
but you had some good times here in California
when you coming back
lol
lates

muldar43

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »
YEAH MIKE - i got psyched when i watched yer video - I'm 36 and have been busting consistently for 20+ years - it's funny ive been really mixing old with the new lately - boomerangs, decades i love that old sh*t, it rules.

Maybe I should come back when I turn 40 to the contest scene & show these kids what's up (HA HA).

Offline nika

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 06:32:13 PM »
I'm 36, started riding in 82 when I saw someone do a 360 in the background on 'Minder' on the telly. I had to learn..

Had a break for a few years when some twat stole my Aero Reflex. Man I loved that bike.

Good old ebay got my interest up again when I found a NOS Aero Reflex  ;D

Started doing crap oldschool shows on it back in 2003, and soon got me a decent bike.

Never stopped loving it, always preferred flat to any other style. Can't believe how much I'm still into it!

I swear, if I can still ride at 70 I will. Try and stop me.
sausages and plants and goldfish

Offline khelagger

• Backpacker
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2007, 07:06:18 PM »
I'm 33 i started riding in 87 my mom took me to a dyno "in search of fish tour" show and was hooked. I even went to woodward in 1988 when they had just 2 quarter pipes and a kick turn ramp lol. The best time for me was when i was at the 89 afa  bristol  comp when kevin first did the hitchiker and halfpacker.

norcalmutt

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2007, 07:17:34 AM »
ha ha
we had alot of the Haro tours in this area and
also the GT tours as Gabe Weed , Drew and Sicky
and myself would go to them...those were the days.