Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43395 times)

Offline AlexC

Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 11:25:24 PM »
Yep, that would be me too...80s rider, got out when I got into cars.  I was lucky and rode during flatland's boom and lived in a freestyle mecca (northern VA).  Spent many a weekend up at Rockville BMX and many AFA contests, and I've met and/or ridden with most of the greats of that time period (K Jones, Mark Eaton, Hoffman, McCoy, Voelker, Moliterno, etc). 

Buying a new freestyle bike has been nagging me for years...but I never took the step of buying a new bike. I recently moved to a new town and met some like minded thirty year olds, which pushed me over the edge. 

I'll be 34 in August....ride flat on a street bike with front and rear brakes.   Old school! 
I've been riding again since February or so, primarily flatland, but have had the past few months off due to a BMX-related collarbone break (strayed into riding park and paid the price!).  Prior to my injury, I was riding 8-10 hours a week. 

I was dismayed at the amount of skill I've lost with my 15+ year break, but I'm thrilled to be riding again, and am having a great time.  I can ride into and out of steamrollers, funky chickens, short hang-5s, cyclones, etc and have just started getting whiplashes back as well.   My eventual goal is hitchhikers, as it's a trick I always wanted to learn back in the day, but never did.   We'll see! 

Offline SHIZM

• Backpacker
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 12:35:01 AM »
30 years old.
I was into cars aswell, but that was not my reason to stop riding. I just got lazy and i quit way before that!
I stopped riding in 91 or 92. Got back into it around 99 or a little and now im back again.
Got back into it recently and loving it...

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 12:50:07 AM »
hey, I'll post my intro soon, but wonder where is Mutt?

Thlayli

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 01:29:05 AM »
Mutt's on the first page, you missed him.

I'm going to be hitting 34 in a couple months or so, but, technically, nothing got me "back" into flat. I was a street/dirt/racer during high school, and a "dedicated" street rider during the 90's, got out of it 'cause I hurt myself very badly, and then got into flat a couple three years back because it was a little more low-impact compared to other types of BMX. I'm horrible at it, but it makes me happy.

Offline Ks Flat 43

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 04:18:41 AM »
I'm 37 and I've been riding again for about 6 months after taking 18 years off.I guess I finally got tired of hearing myself tell stories about what I used to do on my bike.I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only "old fart" who's still hooked on riding!!

Also-I was contacted recently about a 30+ jam goin' on in K.C. sometime in July but the message got erased.If this is still happening please let me know.Thanks.

Offline bhaverchuck

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 04:30:50 AM »
age 35. riding since 82'.  I have witnessed pretty much anything and everything in flatland.Yes, the level flatland has been taken to is astonishing! :beer:

Oh, I never took a break from riding!

Offline djalias

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 04:36:08 AM »
Allright so a youngin I ride with told me about this thread so I'll post my story too.

I'm 35...live in Tucson.  I rode BMX when I was a kid and started riding flatland in about 1986.  I rode mainly Redline RL 20IIs and I was never awesome but I could pull a few tricks here and there.  RL Osborn was my hero :P  I quit around 1990 or 91 for the same reason I've seen a few of you site...stupid ass cars.  Just playin, nothing wrong with the car scene but I wish I had continued riding.  A good friend of mine (Ryan Sanchez) continued riding on and off and I decided to get back into it about a year and a half ago for fun and exercise.  I got myself  DK Signal and on my third session, I injured my ribs fairly seriously so that kinda scared me off of it for awhile.  I went to the Long Beach Jam in December of 06 and that got me stoked again so I've been riding pretty seriously since then (2-3 times a week).

I've gotten most of my old tricks back and am working on learning some new stuff.  My body hurts alot more than it did when I was a kid but I still love the feeling of pulling that trick for the first time and the comradery of our little Tucson crew.  I'll never enter a comp but I'm definitely back in it for the forseeable future.  I've upgraded everything on my bike now and changed to the new Justin Miller frame last month.  

I really like the way the sport has gone.  Flatland doesn't get the attention it used to get but I think its brought the riders closer and is way cooler that way.  Everyone I've met since I've been back has been totally cool no matter where their skill level is and that's great to see.  Bikes are also built sooooo much better now.  The bike I have now is way tighter than any bike I had back in the day.

Thanks to Ryan, BB, Harb, and Jason for keeping me motivated!

See you at the next Cali jam!

Spence from Tucson

Offline Mike Dood

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 12:45:17 PM »
 It's awesome to see the first and second gens of flatland still wanting to ride.... so cool!!  :beer: :beer:

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 03:49:34 PM »
I'm 35 started doing tricks in 84. Got serious in 86 and competed until 91. NBL, AFA and smaller local contests. Went to Woodward in 88 and 89, then taught flatland there for the summer of 91. I focused on work and building my career after that and redoing houses for the past 10 years. Now that my kids are getting big, and we are done moving I've got some time for riding again.

Grew up riding in Raleigh NC. Many of the guys I grew up riding with are still involved in the sport. It was amazing to watch the sport start from nothing and grow into a huge sport, followed by a long lull while it went "underground" to today, where I think (and hope) it will get big again.

I see a day where the top 20 pro riders don't have to start a bike company to make a living riding flat.

The best part of being an older rider is the ability to make your own spot to ride. I built my house with a basement with 9 foot ceilings and a large garage and driveway.

And now my wife and I are considering putting in a tennis court...

I just built my new bike this weekend.

Offline JIMBO420

• Backpacker
  • HARDCORE
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »
I'LL be 37 on aug.24.
I ride flatland cause chicks dig it.

norcalmutt

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 10:20:37 PM »
IF YOU MISSED IT
IM 46 ALMOST 47 YEARS OLD AND I STILL RIDE FLATLAND
OK

by the way john john
im an grandpa of flatland so everyone knows
LOL
hee hee

NOW GO RIDE YOUNGUMS

Offline pwh4130

• Backpacker
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »
I'm hitting 4-0 next month.  I see flatland as something I like to do.  I spent decades looking at flatland a a "thing" following all the riders, videos, contests, progression.  I'm a bit burned out on it all actually.  Now I dont' really even consider flatland outside of my own riding.  I'm happy guys are out there pushing and promoting but I have come to realize that I don't owe anymore than just keeping on the bike and progressing in my own way.

norcalmutt

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 12:04:08 AM »
yeah you guys in pa are oldies and yeah
i remember seeing you guys when you were young
and you still looked old tho i was a mere 27 years old
at the time in 1988.

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 12:05:22 AM »
Well hitting the big 4 0 this year. In the long haul of riding the plank(SK8) has been the most damaging on my body. I had major tendonitis from managing a Post Office, that at one time my arm was locked and I had to be in emergency, the inflammation was unbearable. I had some serious close to death injures riding DH. Last year was hit by a car while riding and at the Challenge park while doing a drop, had a fall,  the full suspension landed on my chest. Yeah..I used to think about riding, especially during the events I/ASC put on. The first event We put on was RLAG(Ride Like A Girl), hell in my eyes, some of the girls rode awful, since I learned to ride with guys under their vision. One had to be fully aggressive at all costs. The 80's was nasty to girl riders.
Now I don't do any aggressive riding, my body is changed. I only wish I took up flatland when in my teens or 20's, while I was heavy into martial arts and skateboarding, it would have been a good transition than DH. I still ride the KONA, hardly ride the DK,completely retired from SK8. Once in a while I go to the ASC SK8 camps, and help in skills. My pet Toy now is my Low Rider(Orange Crate) it's a good thing, I don't look my age, since I don't smoke or drink, if any drinking its a few times a year, Guinness for iron and Bombay Sapphire. I try to keep things in moderation.... They only thing I don't like is Riders don't realize how much is available for them. WE didn't have much, let alone parks. Sometimes riders cry too much about nothing...regardless, I now really enjoy and love supporting Riders especially the young when I am still able. They are awesome and should be encouraged as much as possible. Much has  happened in the past year, but I do know, I really love Flatland and all that it is.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 05:07:10 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

norcalmutt

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 12:09:52 AM »
i thought lock jaw was really bad
but lock arm is the worst it seems.

i would not even think about that
i had my wrist lock up on me
scary thing but it got better
after 20 minutes.