Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43390 times)

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2009, 05:12:01 AM »
cage fighting?  I'm down 4 it :wacko:
Yeah!!!! Now you're talking,,,Do we get to pick who? Separate Net thugs from the men.Still train daily to keep in shape......Oh man,that would be fun!

Offline RadCo

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2009, 06:22:17 AM »
I'm 40, started doing flatland I guess around 83-84 after realizing I wasn't much of a racer. I stopped riding for the most part around 1988 pretty much because I didn't have anyone to ride with . I've always loved watching the X-games and things like that, and always missed riding. A couple of weeks ago while surfing Youtube and just googling various things I came across a picture of my last bike (not the same one, but one that had been restored). I'm always looking for some kind of project to do, so I called my son and asked him if he still had that bike I gave him. He did. So I went over and picked up my 1987 General Osborn Pro, which I'm in the process of restoring. I became addicted in about 5 minutes into working on it, and decided I wanted to ride again. I've since bought 2 other bikes to work on/ride, and hope to build a new school flatland bike over the cold New England winter.

I haven't actually had a chance to ride because all my time has been spent working on the bikes, and working my job, but I can't wait to get back out there, throw on the Ipod and just have a good time. I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes and my doctor told me the best thing for me is exercise, and riding my BMX bike beats staring at the wall while on a treadmill any day.

I get alot of strange looks and chuckles when I tell people what I'm working on and that I plan on riding again, but I don't care. I'm pumped to get going again and that's all that matters.

Offline Jason

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2009, 06:55:14 AM »
Good little story Rad......best of luck with the riding.

Make sure to eat lots of high energy food (to keep up the energy to ride), it will probably help with the diabetes too (my dad was diabetic, I am lucky so far).  The more I eat the better I feel, like when I was 20-something again.  Lots of trail mix, granola bars, fruits/juices & honey all the time keep me going.
NOR-CAL FLATLAND.  !!WE Bicycles supporter!!

Day Smith Beanies

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2009, 07:31:08 AM »
Keep at it Rad!  Never to old to ride...sure as heck beats being a couch potato.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline crcklnks

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2009, 07:55:07 AM »
cage fighting?  I'm down 4 it :wacko:
Yeah!!!! Now you're talking,,,Do we get to pick who? Separate Net thugs from the men.Still train daily to keep in shape......Oh man,that would be fun!
yeah- it's no fun pummeling somebody that didn't earn it! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ :angry:

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2009, 03:36:27 PM »
I can't believe how many people have similar stories of getting back into riding as I do.
There are so many people who used to ride in the late 80's that took 20 years off getting back into it. Maybe it's a mid life crisis thing with most of us refusing to let their mind get old.

Either way it's a great way to exercise while having fun doing so.

The only bummer with me is riding alone, I used to love riding with other guys encouraging each other, it helps with the progression.

Mark