Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43650 times)

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2009, 11:22:15 PM »
I'm in my late 30's and I just got back into riding 3 weeks ago after taking almost 20 years off, rode from about '83 to '89.
Progression is going about as good as it can get I guess, I have Flail Boomerangs, Hang 5's, Steamrollers & Wiplashes pretty much dialed in. I'm having a blast!!!

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »
Yous guys is old.

31 here.  I ride street.  Getting into flatland this winter as I have access to heated warehouses during the winter, but I can't put ramps in them.

you say that like its a bad thing. ;-) Hey, most of us old guys have gotten to see some cool stuff you never will see because its gone...

Like Jimi Hendrix?

Keep on Truckin' posters?

Or fullsize vans with cool paintings and a mattress in the back?

Hey now-
Hendrix will ALWAYS be cool, and fullsize vans with cool paintings and a mattress in the back? You think those lame? Come on...everyone that had one was boning chicks in the back of those at their local drive in. Plus, if riders were driving them, it would save them a few bucks for finding a room at York Jam! ;-)

As far as the keep on truckin' Tee, I can't ever remember seeing anyone wear one. I know I never wore one, and I don't exactly get the saying...
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

random-dude

« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »
You're interpreting me wrong.

The comment was "most of us old guys have gotten to see some cool stuff you never will see because its gone..."

I mentioned a few things that are gone.

Offline Stubbleduck43

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »
37 here.  In dog years I'm dead.

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2009, 04:33:12 AM »
You're interpreting me wrong.

The comment was "most of us old guys have gotten to see some cool stuff you never will see because its gone..."

I mentioned a few things that are gone.

I was just merely trying to be funny. :-) I laughed at the van the most bc I knew a few people that actually had the van... ;-)
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

random-dude

« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2009, 04:35:19 AM »

I was just merely trying to be funny. :-) I laughed at the van the most bc I knew a few people that actually had the van... ;-)

My Dad's friend had one with a sink and running water.

the beard

« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2009, 05:02:46 AM »

My Dad's friend had one with a sink and running water.

That last line makes me feel strangely ...old; I've had 2 like that; '71 and '73 VW's.  mattress in back and all.  :P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:05:26 AM by jm »

Offline crcklnks

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2009, 06:48:09 AM »
38- These shins have seen more abuse than a skinny blonde kid in Federal prision. Today you can go on u-tube and just pick& choose! It's pretty cool, but there's something to be said for being part of the pioneering days. I still probably know more lawnmower variations than anyone! Touring around w/ the lucas bros. circus(NAFA)- wishing we had just 1 sk8park, making due w/ what we had or made. My son is 14, he has 6 parks to choose from, and does big 360's, etc... The 2nd gen. is upon us. Hpoefully ALL of bmx continues to grow& prosper.
 It still makes me laugh when I see things like figure sk8ing w/ so much prestige, publicity& $. People just walk by when there's gnarly flat sessions going on( I guess they can't fathom what's really going on). :mellow:

Offline morgan

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Old fool on an old tool
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »
Just turned 40, and still learning!  After more years than I can remember riding BMX, Flat bit me hard last year... Balance is okay, tricks will follow - I hope!  Gonna compete for the first time in December...

I know how you feel about shins... mine look like chees graters!
More off than on, but still loving it! Flatland until you can't!

Offline ruedogg8

• Cliffhanger
  • Do it while you can!
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2009, 01:47:21 AM »
I'm 39, and I got back into Riding a year ago, after getting in touch with some old friends that I rode with BITD. I started riding freestyle in 84 on a HUTCH Pro Raider, then got a GT Pro Performer with a gyro and axle pegs.
I rode steady until 95, when I moved to Seattle, and slowly began to ride less and less each year unil 99 when my son was born.

Now I ride when it's not raining real hard, and I don't have a bunch of stuff 2 do. I plan on riding until my body can't handle it anymore.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2009, 02:55:42 AM »
So, recently at the Texas Flatland Roundup, we had a 30+ non-expert/non-pro class...and it seemed to be pretty popular.

What do some of you old guys think?  I thought it was a good idea...perfect for someone like me(36) who is just getting back into flatland. 

Would you guys like to see more of this kind of class at contests?
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2009, 05:35:25 AM »
What a name for a post...it should read "divorced, too many children from wives/ladies, balding, too many injuries, this hurts that hurts, not tonite sugar, mental issues/super emotional, cannot change anymore, manchild, no tight pants here, stiff as a post/board/deadman", hey I'm just quoting Madonna as to why she dates very very young men/man... ;D :wacko:

This post makes me want to explore the "Cougar" in me...LOL! :wub:

I think actions sports has hit over the 30 mark and hey...still riding mode...speaks volumes and documents how things have changed, its not so much the youth based sport as it used to be...N

Great idea, to have a 30+ class on its own at a comp, but then you have the likes of "Buffman" who can hold up good competing with 18+ :mellow:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:04:41 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline crcklnks

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2009, 07:05:01 AM »
riding, or cage fighting? either way I'm down 4 it :wacko:

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
What a name for a post...it should read "divorced, too many children from wives/ladies, balding, too many injuries, this hurts that hurts, not tonite sugar, mental issues/super emotional, cannot change anymore, manchild, no tight pants here, stiff as a post/board/deadman", hey I'm just quoting Madonna as to why she dates very very young men/man... ;D :wacko:

This post makes me want to explore the "Cougar" in me...LOL! :wub:

I think actions sports has hit over the 30 mark and hey...still riding mode...speaks volumes and documents how things have changed, its not so much the youth based sport as it used to be...N

Great idea, to have a 30+ class on its own at a comp, but then you have the likes of "Buffman" who can hold up good competing with 18+ :mellow:

That's why it's 30+ NON-EXPERT/NON-PRO.  Huffman doesn't count...he would be sandbagging the class.  I think this class is aimed at 30+ riders who dropped out for a bit, and wouldn't mind entering a comp, but have no place in a beginners class and would get killed riding at the expert level.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #209 on: October 21, 2009, 04:46:24 AM »
I'm down with calling this post:

[/quote]dropped out for a bit[/quote]
Tod, it certainly is "a bit".

Beginner/Expert whatever the skill..great that you all are riding. People in the industry or what not need to see/know that this just proves riding is blood thick...we don't stop even with all the changes in our personal lives be it up or down. Once a rider always a rider, the only thing that will do us in, is death...even after death a park manifests in a riders name.

Keep On, Keepin'On... -_- :beer:

N

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 05:00:17 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE