Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43386 times)

Offline Gustavo

Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2009, 09:38:06 PM »
I'm 35. I began in 1995 in Tampa, FL. I saw this guy Mike riding at the USF campus parking lot and got hooked up. That same year moved to Puerto Rico for 3 years to work as a social worker and met some flatland riders (Pedro, Piky, Randy, Moncho) and kept riding for a few years until I moved to Miami. I tried for a few months but work and women kept me busy so I gave my Standard Shorty away to a church and 10 years later I'm back into it. I went to the Voodoo Jam last year to watch and saw Moncho and the rest is history. Now I'm really into it, riding almost every day. Flatland changed a lot from 1998. I noticed that at the Voodoo jam. Didn't know who 98% of the pros were. My biggest regret in life is ever quitting riding and the time I met this drunken stripper at a club and like a good samaritan I dropped her off and didn't make a move or anything...Ha! This year I'm taking my bike to the Voodoo Jam so hope to meet new people.

Offline midwestside

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »
Just turned 40 a few months ago. Started dirt jumping/BMX racing in the 70s and became way more interest in the BMX Action trick riding how tos by Haro and R.L.

Bought the Haro how to book and me and my buddy tried to learn every trick in there, including vert and "trick ramp" kickturns.

Live to see the advent of pegs,potts mods and rotors/gyros. I rode flat and vert until 87 when I had too many busts/scary experiences and gave up vert for good. Thats when the forward rolling stuff started busting out. I rode until about 90-1 or whenever hitchhikers had just been unleashed. At that point was done with school and had to work full time, be responsible and all the guys I rode with went off to college. Pulled the bike out every once and awhile and busted a funky chicken or steamroller here and there between 92-2004, but I pretty much thought flat was dead. Then I found pedal bmx forumn, met some guys in my area and started riding again.

Definitely took some time to limber after that break and gettin tricks back didnt come easy.
But I still try and have fun doin it.

Offline polar

« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2009, 04:35:09 AM »
Hey all,

am turning 30 in 2 months, does that count??

Used to ride alot of street here in oz from age of 14 to 19, never amazing but had a lot of fun and rode daily. Had a bad accident on a ramp and aquired "THE FEAR" which prevented me doing anything after that as i freaked constatnly.

Never rode flat but wanted to get back into bmx without the thought of snapping my bones so easily again and figured flat would help this.
Now loving it, but no were near enough time to ride as balancing work and 2 babies under 2 takes what little daylight i see away haha

Currently on a dragonfly Uzi but am in process of building my "dream bike". Progressing so slowly its almost non existent BUT im loving all of it

Offline bmiddaugh

• Backpacker
    • BMXNJ.com
« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2009, 04:47:19 AM »
yo, midschool!
Dude, easy on the 20 year thing! LOL!!
Those were good times for sure. We're riding saturday up here in Brick then BBQing afterwards, feel free!
Peace from BMXNJ

Offline bmiddaugh

• Backpacker
    • BMXNJ.com
« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2009, 04:48:30 AM »
Kchez, Carol Gleason gave me some shots of that first show in Howell, NJ from those forever long ago days, a couple years ago.
Let me see if I can get them on here.
Peace from BMXNJ

Offline bmiddaugh

• Backpacker
    • BMXNJ.com
« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2009, 04:55:31 AM »
Found em!
I'll get em up on my site and toss a link up tomorrow.
Peace from BMXNJ

Offline bmiddaugh

• Backpacker
    • BMXNJ.com
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2009, 04:45:40 AM »
The HARO team 28 years ago in Howell, NJ at Bicycle World.

http://www.ver3.brokenspokes.net/index.php?option=com_rsgallery2&Itemid=107&catid=71
Peace from BMXNJ

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #187 on: July 02, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
Damn-that's awesome! Myself and a group of about 10 or so riders (Skyview Park-then known as the "Tot Lot" locals) rode from Toms River all the way to Howell for the show. On the way back all we could talk about was building ramps and suddently racing wasn't as important to us. I think we spent most of the day jumping up the side of the big jump after the hairpin. Ahh-the good old days!

Was hoping to make it down to Brick, but I'm pinstriping at a Harley dealership on Saturday in South Jersey.

Offline AJ 1

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #188 on: July 18, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
I'm 37 and started in '84. Flatland back then was rock walks and framestands. And Eddie Fiola, RL Osborne and Martin Aparijo were your heroes. I quit in '88, and made a return in '94, to find new heroes: Kevin Jones, Dennis McCoy and Chase G. After not following the scene from 2000 to 2007, I was surprise to find out that riding and bikes have really changed. GT almost dissapeared-- along with the heavy bikes. Street riders use race bike(no matter what anyone says they're racing).
Now I'm back and am not going to quit. My 7yrs old son is riding with me and having fun.

Have fun
AJ

Offline bmxtrix123

« Reply #189 on: October 17, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
I'm 39yrs old and still riding (yikes....I qualify for this thread but I don't feel that old).  I do mostly old school stuff to music.  Have a look:

www.youtube.com/bmxtrix123

I still ride my trusty GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model..... I also have a backup copy just in case.  Great thread...enjoyed reading the postings of others.

Gene

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #190 on: October 17, 2009, 05:58:09 PM »
I just saw this.
I'm going on 38 in December. I got into this back when I saw the Mountain Dew commercial, waaaayyy back in, what, 1984? I've jumped back and forth into the sport. Never felt I was great but hey, I had fun. Isn't that what its supposed to be about?
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

random-dude

« Reply #191 on: October 17, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
Yous guys is old.

31 here.  I ride street.  Getting into flatland this winter as I have access to heated warehouses during the winter, but I can't put ramps in them.

Offline Red43j

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #192 on: October 17, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
Yous guys is old.

31 here.  I ride street.  Getting into flatland this winter as I have access to heated warehouses during the winter, but I can't put ramps in them.

you say that like its a bad thing. ;-) Hey, most of us old guys have gotten to see some cool stuff you never will see because its gone...
Looking to sell Standard parts? I'm looking for Chrome stuff. Decals. Standard Pegs. Coaster Shells. White Dia Compe Tech 77's? You got 'em? Howzabout a 1992 Haro Ground Master F&F? I may just want them...
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers

random-dude

« Reply #193 on: October 17, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
Yous guys is old.

you say that like its a bad thing. ;-) Hey, most of us old guys have gotten to see some cool stuff you never will see because its gone...

Like Jimi Hendrix?

Keep on Truckin' posters?

Or fullsize vans with cool paintings and a mattress in the back?

Offline That Joe Miller

• Cliffhanger
    • Unknown Sports
« Reply #194 on: October 17, 2009, 06:28:35 PM »
Yous guys is old.

you say that like its a bad thing. ;-) Hey, most of us old guys have gotten to see some cool stuff you never will see because its g

Like Jimi Hendrix?

Keep on Truckin' posters?

Or fullsize vans with cool paintings and a mattress in the back?
SSHHH...Your mom wasn't supposed to tell you about the matress. JK LMAO
That Joe miller