Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43646 times)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #165 on: June 27, 2009, 08:18:01 AM »
.."If freestyle was outlawed only outlaws would ride"?  Me, in 1987...

Cool you got the photobucket working.

I would change that quote to "Only Outlaws Ride Freestyle". cuz there is just no room for IF.

The best one is from Women of Freestyle or what was WOFBMX:

"Real Women Ride 20 inches"

N

You're on a role lately...and always have me crackin' up. 
"A puppet no more!"

Budz

« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
anyone remember those old 2B Homecooked shirts that said something like, "for men with 20 inchers"?
dont remember the quote exactly so correct if i got that wrong.
dunno why i just thought of that.  :P

« Reply #167 on: June 27, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
i'll be 31 in a couple of months...rode dirt bikes for a while starting around 1990 and stopped in the mid 90's.  got back into bmx in 2000, and decided i wanted to ride flatland.  i've been riding ever since and I don't plan on slowing down anytime soon.       

Offline O.S.G.

• Backpacker
  • Superman Hang
« Reply #168 on: June 27, 2009, 10:43:27 AM »
Dam...I may too late to chime. I'll be 40 @ the end of Oct.,..I live in the Bay Area and i have been involve in OUR sport since i can remember my grandfather showing me family pictures of my relatives (DAD and Uncles, GrandPa' too) earning the daily bread that way (Riding and Performing)circa 1950's. I still ride most everyday i also enjoy the media aspect of IT.

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #169 on: June 27, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
Let's see-I'll be 44 this year, started racing when I was 13. Was there for the dawn of "freestyle" and racing was soon an afterthought. Saw the first ever freestyle tour at Bike World in Howell in '81 w/ Bob Haro & Bob Morales-still have the poster autographed by both! If I had been riding all this time, I might be halfway decent, but I've had other things take me away from riding for extended periods (playing in touring bands, racing cars, having a child, surviving cancer, running a full time business,)  but the cycle is coming back around and I'm feeling like riding again. Never been a "natural" but it's still always fun, even if I can't do a ton of stuff.

Currently running a business doing signs/lettering/pinstriping and racing small cars. If the weather in NJ will cooperate, maybe I can get some riding in!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #170 on: June 27, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »
Let's see-I'll be 44 this year, started racing when I was 13. Was there for the dawn of "freestyle" and racing was soon an afterthought. Saw the first ever freestyle tour at Bike World in Howell in '81 w/ Bob Haro & Bob Morales-still have the poster autographed by both! If I had been riding all this time, I might be halfway decent, but I've had other things take me away from riding for extended periods (playing in touring bands, racing cars, having a child, surviving cancer, running a full time business,)  but the cycle is coming back around and I'm feeling like riding again. Never been a "natural" but it's still always fun, even if I can't do a ton of stuff.

Currently running a business doing signs/lettering/pinstriping and racing small cars. If the weather in NJ will cooperate, maybe I can get some riding in!

Dude, what?  Wow.  You have been around since day one.  Man, that is cool.  Well, we are glad to have you on board, and have you still playing on kid's bikes.  That's rad. 

Just out of curiosity, are you riding a newer designed bike? 

My friend Gary started riding when he was 38,39...went on to do very well at racing, and still rides the trails a bit at the age of 54. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline That Joe Miller

• Cliffhanger
    • Unknown Sports
« Reply #171 on: June 27, 2009, 06:06:41 PM »
Well I'm 39 years old and I started riding 20 inch bikes in '73. Tricks would soon follow. I raced Bmx for a few years but when I was 13 I got into "freestyle". I rode for the next several years with all kinds of riders from all over indiana and the midwest. I slowed down alot in 2000 due to a divorce and visitation problems with my daughter. I went to nursing school in '06 and in '08 I entered the straight outta Indy jam, 'cause I new it would make me ride. I got back in touch with alot of the Indy guys and have been riding/competing again ever since. hope to see some or all of you guys soon. L8r, Joe
That Joe miller

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2009, 06:32:44 PM »
I've got a Quamen G3, if you consider that newer and a bowls (just posted it in the bike pics thread-gotta get a recent pic of the G3) Also in the garage: a '86 Haro sport, an '84 Trickstar, a half built alum 2-Hip Pork, a Rigid F&F and Cook Bros & Vector bars. Not a Tuff wheel to be found anywhere, though.

Offline khelagger

• Backpacker
« Reply #173 on: June 27, 2009, 06:53:08 PM »

Kenny!!!! is that you? It's me rosie what's good? I haven't seen you since we went to athens.

Offline Tweekend

• Backpacker
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »
32yrs old, just split with my wife, and back into the single life again :)  The best thing about it..??   I can go ride for hours on end, and NO one is there to make me feel guilty about it..!!  Yay!!  lol   
Rollin' as hard and as often as I can.  Just nailed brakeless decades off the back tyre the other day, and flying to the other side of Australia on Wednesday night for Round 4 of the National Amateur Flatland series.  Freedom, baby..!! 
Us 30+ fellas ain't getting any younger, so while I'm still single with loads of time on my plate, I want to ride as much as I can and achieve my Flatland goals before the next relationship and possibly kids tie me down.  My ultimate trick to learn..??   Pedalling Death Trucks..!!

It's funny how young girls think we look appealing from afar, busting tricks, then they get closer and realise 'Oh, he's old'.   lol

Offline bmiddaugh

• Backpacker
    • BMXNJ.com
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
Done it all.
Never really fully ceased flatlanding but faded heavily from about 98 to 05. Then got divorced and
well, let's see how long the legs and knees last, lol.
Peace from BMXNJ

Offline midschool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:47 PM »
Hey Brett,

I remember seeing you working the General shows in 88' with Mark Roldan / Brandon Morgan / Jeff Mayer and in 89' with Jay Jones / Sean Leslie / Brad McCarthy.

Wow.  Twenty years ago...rad.
You may be disappointed if you fail but doomed if you never try.  Some people advance through life.  Others remain stagnant and only dream of what they can achieve.  There is a difference between wanting and having, saying and doing.  Don't let those who fear progression keep you down or steal your vision.  Act out on your dreams.  Everything is real and ANYTHING is possible.

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #177 on: June 29, 2009, 10:57:09 PM »

Kenny!!!! is that you? It's me rosie what's good? I haven't seen you since we went to athens.

What's up my brother! Been out of riding for a pretty long stretch, but been trying to find some time to get out on the bike again. How's thing's been? Bummed I missed the last Athens trip. Ya still see Augie?

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #178 on: June 30, 2009, 12:10:20 AM »
Time keeps on tickin, tickin, tickin, into the fuuutuuureee.....

Offline Bobby

• Backpacker
    • Diversion TV
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2009, 12:33:09 AM »
I'm 32. There's a lot of 30+riders out there!
I don't feel old though. I never quit riding.
Got into it in 1987,but been riding hardcore since 1991 though.

Most of us are the 80s generation, with some exceptions.