Author Topic: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread  (Read 43630 times)

Offline Mazur

• Cliffhanger
  • Central New York Freaks!
    • Void Dweller Industries
Re: Over 30 years old - "Old farts" thread
« Reply #150 on: January 04, 2008, 02:48:12 AM »
**** me so many old flatland riders in 16 i feel like a baby :D

HAHA  i kn ur all jelus of my youth

Ha, the only thing i envy from youth is 'TIME'.  Right now though, independence, wife and kids, respect ,sense of acomplishment and riding after all these yrs and what not far outways that.

My teen yrs where hella fun, but i'd rather not do it again.thx

-m-

Offline Paradoxium

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2008, 02:47:37 AM »
35 y.o. here. Been riding since 88, but stopped for about 7 years [silly me] due to other commitments. Married with 4 kids, did a few trades
[fitting, machining, welding and floor sanding/polishing], run a business, attend most comps n jams in Australia
[Australia is about the same size as mainland USA], and ride every weekend. I still think my riding sux, but I always think of my motto
"the amount of time you spend on your riding = the exact level of your progression", then I realise again that weekend riders will always struggle.
I am convinced flatland is the hardest sport there is, and thats why I have respect for ALL flatlanders, both am and pro.
Flatland forever.

Edit. I forgot to mention my 10 y.o. son is trying a bit of flat with me, but his current bike is a 17 kg Diamond back, and its incredibly heavy in proportion to the weight of a 10 y.o, so I am setting him up with a light flatland bike, hopefully around 11 kgs. I will post pics when i get it [just waiting for my frame].
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:43:18 AM by Paradoxium »

jim shorts

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2008, 03:05:26 AM »
well said

Budz

« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2008, 03:12:42 AM »
CMC- No I'm not Woody Itson.

I'm just Woody....

Peace
well, can u just pretend to be Woody Itson!? that would be awesome!
hey Mr Itson, can u tell me the story of your gold Trick Star again?
please please please!!! ;D :P

jus playin bro.

Offline the duke

• Hitchhiker
  • Word
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
34 RIGHT Now and BMX still plays a huge part in my life. I was a car mechanic until I turned 30. Decided I was sick of that sh*t and started my own traveling BMX Stunt Team!

<thefreestyleconnection.com>

I ride everyday and I'm sure I'm better than ever at this sh*t!

I love it!

Good to see all you guys still with it man! It really is a brotherhood.

Keep it up guys. Its the fountain of youth :)

Offline the duke

• Hitchhiker
  • Word
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2008, 04:53:06 PM »
Check this guy out dudes!

Small | Large

Some sort of time warp? I had heard about this guy doing shows in Augusta but one day we rolled through to get something to eat and this guy was shredding!

Keep in mind that I filmed this in 2007 :)

LOL

Offline The BYKE Project

• Company
  • Backpacker
  • THE BYKE PROJECT - Giving back through BMX.
    • Dunamis Media
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2008, 05:38:43 PM »
I'm 34 years of age, and don't feel a day over 25 in my mind. But dude, my body feels well over 34. Beaten and battered! But I'm not giving up yet. As long as I can pedal that bike I'm gonna ride. Word up to Rad Dad! I hope I'm still rockin it at 40.

Lee, you ain't 34.  YOu told me that mentally, you feel like a 12 year old.

Offline PMJ Indy

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2008, 05:01:23 AM »
35 here.  I guess I never got too far away from my bike since I started back in '86.  Back then everyone in my circle of friends rode everything.  I favored vert.  I guess I still do to a certain extent but I'm in a position where I can't afford to get hurt.  I recently changed bikes from my 94 Standard Lengthy to an Eastern Dragon.  They have pretty much the same geometry but my new setup is at least 5lbs lighter.  For me,  its a good all-purpose bike.  Its got a 20" tt so for all you pure flatlanders it may seem big,  but I just love it.  Right now I am doing about 75% flatland and 25% park or dirt.  Flatland progression is extremely satisfying but nothing,  to me,  compares with the feeling of a big fat clean aerial.  In another post I started recently,  I stated that I had rolled a hang5 for the first time since 1990.  I am mixing together getting my old stuff back with the learning of new stuff. 

Offline griff831

« Reply #158 on: April 29, 2008, 06:01:50 AM »
Check this guy out dudes!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9VugRoVm3mE

Some sort of time warp? I had heard about this guy doing shows in Augusta but one day we rolled through to get something to eat and this guy was shredding!

Keep in mind that I filmed this in 2007 :)

LOL

WOW!  I saw this dude practicing out there on that corner every other weekend or so b/c I lived right down that street about 400m.  I had no idea he was 37 and riding for 15 years.  Oh how I wish I was bitten by the flatland bug back then. 

I'm not near 30 yet, I'm 24, and I grew up tearing up my neighborhood with my buds on our BMXs.  I still have the '95 GT Speed Series that I saved up my hard earned allowance for, and rode it last weekend actually for the first time in 10 years.  Never actually got into racing, I just thought it was the bike to have back then...now I'm ready to make the transition to flatland, b/c I always loved watching freestylers do tricks back in the day.  "RAD" got me into it all, for sure!  God speed, you older folks...hopefully I'm in your shoes someday and can show my kid something rad on his bike. 

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2008, 06:12:44 AM »
That was a super cool vid!!! Can you imagine when this thread is 30 years old...LOL!!

Keep on Riding!!

timk4130!

« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2008, 06:19:12 AM »
well...im not to sure if i posted in this before or not....but ive been riding for along time...and the reason i really started riding because as a kid i liked to binge eat so much that when i would go to the mall and walk into a store..it would chime not once but twice....  and it has taken almost twenty years to get rid of the fat...but i still like high carb foods...and yes i do own a george forman grill...but barely use it because i can never pay my light bill....

Thlayli

« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »
Yeah, um, I can't remember if I posted in this thread or not. Look at all the repressed ephebophiles, kids!

/34.5

Offline clint23

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2008, 10:01:19 PM »
I am 33 started in 88 took a break  in 97 to get married and have kids and started riding again in 2003

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #163 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:27 AM »
Well, look here...I found the old man thread.  Am I too late to join the club?  

I'm 36.

My name is Tod, and I have been riding freestyle(we all remember freestyle here) since 1985.  Rode everything up to around 91, and then dropped flat riding to pursue street and ramps mostly.  I took a few years off(five years) from riding to do a little time in the "Big House"...I just couldn't get along with authority.  Once I got out, I had to change my priorities a bit, so I got back into riding.  I've been riding flatland again for about 6 months because I decided that I was tired of wrecking myself riding street and ramps.  Ironically, after I started riding flat again, I destroyed my knee AGAIN.  No more ramp riding for me.  Three knee surgeries and one to go(a full knee replacement), and I refuse to give up the kid's bike.  I dare anyone try to take my bike away from me.  

Does anyone remember the General add..."If freestyle was outlawed only outlaws would ride"?  Me, in 1987...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:01:22 AM by tod.borndead »
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #164 on: June 27, 2009, 04:43:25 AM »
.."If freestyle was outlawed only outlaws would ride"?  Me, in 1987...

Cool you got the photobucket working.

I would change that quote to "Only Outlaws Ride Freestyle". cuz there is just no room for IF.

The best one is from Women of Freestyle or what was WOFBMX:

"Real Women Ride 20 inches"

N
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 07:41:11 AM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE