Author Topic: How far do you travel for your spot?  (Read 8136 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
How far do you travel for your spot?
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:18:59 AM »
I've been spot hunting in Richmond now that I've had a car for a few months. It's nice having a sweet little hatchback that I can just toss my bike into. The problem is finding somewhere to ride. I've driven around the city keeping my eyes peeled for anything remotely flat. No huge slants. No waves. No huge cracks.

Do you know what I've found in my weeks of searching?

NOTHING.

My only option now is to start looking on the other side of the city, or outside of it. Kind of a sh*tty option when you think about it. I could go back to my old spot and spend money hand over fist on tires and bike parts, but I really don't want to go that route. It was the only flat spot in existence though that I wouldn't get kicked out of. Other than that, there's nothing.

So how far do you go? How far to hike to get to where you ride every day?

PS: f*ck you guys in the battles for having so many insanely perfectly flat spots with nobody bothering you. Seriously.  :angry:

Offline Limited

• Cliffhanger
Re: How far do you travel for your spot?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:33:49 AM »
I travel 15minutes to a park(non skate park). you ever try store parkinglots and the back of stores TJ. I know everytime id watch you ride itd floor me that you rode at that gravel pit haha

Offline Stereolab

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:06:04 AM »
I used to be spoiled and live a block away from a perfect spot.  Now that I live in a different town, I generally drive 20-30 minutes to one of a few good spots I know, although I'd do well to do more exploring closer.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:17:55 AM »
Two blocks to the OG!  Well, now that I live with my old lady, I have a full basket ball court, a half-basket ball court three blocks away, the public library a half a block away.  OG now takes 5 minutes to get to by car, and I complain.  I should just count my "blessings", and shut the hell up.

TJ, I don't suppose you're in any position to build your own spot, are you?  Guys like Terry Adams are the really fortunate ones. 

"A puppet no more!"

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:29:47 AM »
That's the weird thing, none of the stores around here have parking lots in the rear that are flat. They're all slanted. I don't understand why considering the lower part of the city is what always floods and EVERYTHING in the city is angled towards it. Makes no sense.

Sigh. Gotta go further I suppose.

Offline flaTTech

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:36:12 AM »
 I drive about 1.7 miles to my spot.  Although it certainly isn't perfect, the whole lot is slanted in one direction, and it doesn't even make rolling long tricks easier because the slant is on the narrow section of the lot that is to small to roll far.. The lot is long and kinda narrow..  I also used to ride in a slanted driveway, so I got used to going uphill and downhill when spinning or doing tricks in a circle..

I also have some Tennis courts about 2.0 miles away that I ride at, completely flat.  But I always get this fine grit on my tires from them that makes kicking the tires really slick.  Plus I never know if tennis players will be there..

I still like my slightly slanted spot, and I don't get bothered there..  Good luck finding a better spot !

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 05:05:14 AM »
I'm lucky, I have 2 unlit day spots about a half a mile away that I can ride to, and more spots between 15 and 30 minutes by car. Nights are tough tho, nothing closeby.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 05:15:49 AM »
 5-10 minute bike rides put me in the legendary south park tennis courts, top tier courts over looking a walmart.. And not even 2 minutes away is a bball court lit, all night.. wavy, but half of one end is really nice..And it seems to be wider then a normal bball court, so it all works out.

TJ, your in hill country haha. I have no idea what to tell you.. surely if there were tennis courts, youve examined them. Only thing i can think of for you, would be to ride on your college campus.. As i believe you were/ Are security... Might be your only option....

Offline Limited

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »
actually the area by each walmart by the side doors always looks awsome for flat.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 05:33:04 AM »
^ Or the back of them by the loading docks, seems to always be huge... say 10 x 12 squares of concrete. Maybe check there...

Offline misterpola

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:04:33 AM »
I ride 26 blocks to a park where we have 2 spots, or 20 blocks to another park where we have 4 spots.

Offline midschool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:51:40 AM »
I'm embarrassed to say this but it takes seven crank revolutions (less than a minute).  My spot is kitty corner to my house.  It is empty 99% of the time.   ;D

You may be disappointed if you fail but doomed if you never try.  Some people advance through life.  Others remain stagnant and only dream of what they can achieve.  There is a difference between wanting and having, saying and doing.  Don't let those who fear progression keep you down or steal your vision.  Act out on your dreams.  Everything is real and ANYTHING is possible.

Offline Jan@Weiden

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 10:57:05 AM »
20km with the car...

Offline Kevin Brill @ Kassel

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »
I'm embarrassed to say this but it takes seven crank revolutions (less than a minute).  My spot is kitty corner to my house.  It is empty 99% of the time.   ;D

._. That is a lovely spot

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 12:22:52 PM »
i have various spot option but the ones that i use now are:
during summer a parking lot at 500 metres from my house 40 sec. whit car
in the winter a skatepark whit a perfectly flat surface and a big parking lot at 10 mins by car
if it's raining i ride in the garage under my house 5 seconds by foot ;D.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.