Author Topic: My reply to Scott O'Brien from the flatmatters editorial piece  (Read 17156 times)

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
Re: My reply to Scott O'Brien from the flatmatters editorial piece
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
I've only watched this film, bits and pieces. NAH.

Flatland Boogie, Flatland Jazz, Flatland HipHop, Flatland Flamenco, Flatland Artsy Fartsy....I am waiting for Flatland Polka.

It is starting to make sense, why RED BULL being a huge sponsor.  ;D

Please Dear GOD, help Flatland or BMX in general get a Spike Jonze or Taylor Steele to do a film/DVD.

I'm with whomever said...Please let Flatland BE. 

SESSION . BATTLE  . JAM  ...its all a rotation just the perspective changes.
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
i always thought that good contests were jams where contests just happened to be taking place

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
Thanks guys for all of the input. I read it all and take it into consideration.

Brian practice area at Voodoo has always been a challenge and unfortunately we don't have that option with this facility. But I do make time for practice warm up and give the riders as much time as possible for them to be ready.
Before the finals we close the place down and the final riders have the area to themselves for at least an hour.
Time is an issue and we have to stay on schedule always at Voodoo.

I think this is why Voodoo is successful. TJ you judged Voodoo and seemed to love it.

I always thought that good contests were jams where contests just happened to be taking place
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Scott, it was great meeting you this past weekend and riding with you...and THANK YOU for having another Voodoo Jam, as I never got a chance to attend but have only heard good things about the comp.  I WILL attend for sure!  People have different opinions and different riding styles, and it's good to see both of you can discuss these matters with respect.  Keep it flat, keep it freestyle.

Regardless of judging format and all the other controversy that surrounds contests...I'm just grateful to be able to attend contests and jams.  You have a great attitude about riding and appreciate you being welcoming to an old fool like myself with ancient tricks!

Keep riding!

Tod
"A puppet no more!"

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
Been to many comps/events, big, small, put on some too, whatever...VOODOO JAM is one of the best. With respect to location, New Orleans people are wonderful.

BYKE, just about everyone, you all have a whole year to figure out how to rob a bank, pawn some goods, turn tricks, make a deal with the devil, or just plain save or set aside some money...U.K posse and their aliases should attend this event.  :mellow:

Speaking of FISE...400 turn out? Not bad for flatland. It does not hurt to stop underestimating your audience, most of them are family/friends. By the way many events are attended by a "mystery shopper/sponsor" type. If a neutral person talks/interacts with the audience members you'll find out many things.

...N
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:25:25 PM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:57 PM »
Would be interesting to see a senior demo of old school flatlanders to show more variety of the sport of freestyle. You know if you show an average person a Miami Hopper they would still think its cool. Imagine at the contest you have Kevin Jones, Chase, R.L, Dennis McCoy and other older riders to do a demo show for fun to show a history of flatland show.

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
I remember they had that Haro old school demo at that contest a few years ago and people love it.

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
hey guys as someone who did alot of jams in Trinidad and Tobago to help grow the now present flatland/street scene i myself have always been pondering the perfect flatland judging system.

many people would have alot to say about  establishing a world comp governing body with representatives of each country hosting or willing to host a world class and world circuit recognized flat event.....

then one day while watching cable t.v i came upon something that i think is being developed and successfully used to judge skateboard comps......

Quote: Rob Dyrdek also pioneered the iSX, Instant Scoring Experience, which he hopes will revolutionize the way skate competitions are held.

i think the idea of your tricks within combos and unique links can be instantly judged with this system since you no longer will have to wait till a whole run/link is done to judge the parts which were inpressive....then a video slomo review can be don on big screen to explain to the audience why someone was scored so high..this at the same time will educate the audience to the suble technicalities of flatland......

just my take.
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »

I think this is why Voodoo is successful. TJ you judged Voodoo and seemed to love it.

I did, but I also think the battle system is unfair and flawed. Doesn't take away from Voodoo being a great event.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 08:19:45 PM »
Could it have been that Manu (owner of st.martin?) gave Alex a score that was shall we say over rated in part since Alex is on the team ........ Alain changed it so that Alex gets 4th ...... And to add insult to injury puts Alex next to Matthias, knowing that Alex will get creamed? then it all went Argy Bargy?

could it be that people who have a vested business interest in promoting certain riders at a contest should be in no way organized with the judging aspect of the events themselves?

Byke,
I am not a friend of Manu Massabova, I just tell you what he said about that : he placed Alex Jumelin at the 5th place in his qualification ranking when the 2 others judges placed him at a better place (later the qualification rankings were discussed to get a final ranking because of the rain not stopping). So actually, the team manager didn't place "well" this rider of his team.
I report that fact because speculations are not good in any ways and I had to share that for the sake of flatland (just kidding here  :P)

byke

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
Revig,
Cheers for the update.

I was only speculating based on what I read, and I hope that no one took my comments as absolute truth - as I wasnt there and only made a wild guess.

Cheers again :)

Offline Fat Tony

• Backpacker
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
Contests should look more like this...

[youtube]9EoHdRVepGE[/youtube]

Offline Theory

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2011, 04:07:14 AM »
I really like some of the ideas coming from this thread regarding the formats. I think best of two is a great idea instead of averaging the scores. I feel that if I'm paying up to $75 to enter a contest as an amateur and driving whatever distance it may be, that a few things should be provided: adequate riding space, contest run time, and adequate judging.

I think judging should be a top priority in contests for a couple reasons. First I would expect that my entrance fee is paying for a worthwhile event and not solely used for the pro purse, obviously different contests have different entrance fees but the more I'm paying the more I would want that event to be run smoothly and have a great time (which we usually do!). Secondly, if the judging fails at an event, and that event is part of a circuit, then those circuit results may not be an accurate representation of what has happened and who places where. And finally for the sake of just having less drama! In the end we all just want to have a fun experience for that weekend.

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2011, 04:46:09 AM »
I really like some of the ideas coming from this thread regarding the formats. I think best of two is a great idea instead of averaging the scores. I feel that if I'm paying up to $75 to enter a contest as an amateur and driving whatever distance it may be, that a few things should be provided: adequate riding space, contest run time, and adequate judging.

I think judging should be a top priority in contests for a couple reasons. First I would expect that my entrance fee is paying for a worthwhile event and not solely used for the pro purse, obviously different contests have different entrance fees but the more I'm paying the more I would want that event to be run smoothly and have a great time (which we usually do!). Secondly, if the judging fails at an event, and that event is part of a circuit, then those circuit results may not be an accurate representation of what has happened and who places where. And finally for the sake of just having less drama! In the end we all just want to have a fun experience for that weekend.

+1

I still think the battle format is pretty cool for pros though.

Offline Limited

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2011, 04:56:16 AM »
I know time is money, but I'd like more time for am's.