Author Topic: My reply to Scott O'Brien from the flatmatters editorial piece  (Read 17152 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: My reply to Scott O'Brien from the flatmatters editorial piece
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
Could it have been that Manu (owner of st.martin?) gave Alex a score that was shall we say over rated in part since Alex is on the team ........ Alain changed it so that Alex gets 4th ...... And to add insult to injury puts Alex next to Matthias, knowing that Alex will get creamed? then it all went Argy Bargy?

could it be that people who have a vested business interest in promoting certain riders at a contest should be in no way organized with the judging aspect of the events themselves?

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Who buys parts based on a sponsored rider's contest results nowadays? I mean, maybe a few folks do, but is it enough to attempt rigging a comp and getting punched in the face for? Probably not... hope that wasn't the reason, because it's a damn stupid one.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
Who buys parts based on a sponsored rider's contest results nowadays? I mean, maybe a few folks do, but is it enough to attempt rigging a comp and getting punched in the face for? Probably not... hope that wasn't the reason, because it's a damn stupid one.

well I dont think they sponsor them to be hermits either. note Paul Osicka isnt a prime example. lol

shush..man sponsors might be reading this and find out the truth. Senior Redbull "this guys on to something here"
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:34 PM »

ABT made terrible products with awful design and they sold like hotcakes. I'm sure that had nothing to do with Alex Matthias and raph. Nothing at all.

Offline myke

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
Just call it 'Flatland/UFC' and it's all good...

There is always so much drama surrounding flat contests...

Screw contests, just session!

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 12:34:20 AM »
Brandon

Thanks for you response and clarification of your views. Sometimes the internet does not do justice when we have to get a point across.  Battle formats have a place if done correctly and thats just my opinion of course. But there is always a need for different formats and ways of contest riding.

We will not be having the all out battle format for 2012 Voodoo. We are looking to go back to the way we did the first one with a few tweaks for improvements. Ironically these discussion had nothing to with that. I felt a strong need for change before all of this even came about.

Something like this.
10 Riders in finals. *This number really depends on participation and how many show up.
2 - 1:30 to 2:00 min runs take the best run of course. *Taking a survey to get the time.
The idea here is to get into the top three.

The top three Session for champion. You know your on the podium less stress more likely to try and bust some hard stuff and go all out.
I would like to use the term Session rather than Battle because that is what I want to create. A great Session for the top three riders to showcase their talents in front of a great audience of people. This intern pushes the riders and Flatland.

All of these thoughts are preliminary of course but I felt compelled to share them with you.

Thanks
Scott
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline Rennace

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »
Hey Scott, if you do a session format will there be a set amount of time each rider gets to take the floor?  Im all down for a less stressfull format for riders but I think we need time limits to keep it fair.

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 02:29:08 AM »
Hey Scott, if you do a session format will there be a set amount of time each rider gets to take the floor?  Im all down for a less stressfull format for riders but I think we need time limits to keep it fair.
No worries, I will get it down as best as I can. Yes this is a consideration and all riders should have equal opportunity as we did in Voodoo 04
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 02:38:18 AM »
Brandon

Thanks for you response and clarification of your views. Sometimes the internet does not do justice when we have to get a point across. 

Thanks
Scott

It's all good man. The health of flatland depends upon people having different views and ideas, just like the tricks we try to come up with. Your new proposal sounds like an innovative sort of hybrid approach. I can actually imagine it working out much better than standard battles since it drops the repetitiveness but it keeps the intensity and energy up for the podium spots. I also like the idea of dropping the term 'battle' to replace it with 'session' since that is more representative of what we typically do when we ride together. I wish you the best with it.

-B
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline Burd

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 02:38:35 AM »
Scott, can I make a suggestion?  For the next VooDoo Jam, instead of having a contest where you pass out prize money to a winner, instead use the money to buy plane tickets for all of the riders that you would like to see show up and then just throw an actual jam (complete with music and an MC of course) rather than a contest.

Is that a ridiculous suggestion?  I personally would rather see something like that than a comp, especially if it means getting to see riders that don't show up to comps... maybe the money wouldn't really work though since plane tix can get awfully expensive.  Just a thought I guess.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 02:40:48 AM »

ABT made terrible products with awful design and they sold like hotcakes. I'm sure that had nothing to do with Alex Matthias and raph. Nothing at all.

Ugh.... you're right. Sad sh*t.

Offline Mr.Jowee

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 04:16:36 AM »
Scott, can I make a suggestion?  For the next VooDoo Jam, instead of having a contest where you pass out prize money to a winner, instead use the money to buy plane tickets for all of the riders that you would like to see show up and then just throw an actual jam (complete with music and an MC of course) rather than a contest.

This will lead to hurt feelings. "I thought we were friends; why didn't I get a plane ticket?"

The location of the contest makes it so one only needs a hotel room. You don't have to drive anywhere in town. After all, New Orleans is a tourist city. The contest is always in the off season. The are no large festivals that draw huge numbers of people, which means the hotel rates are very reasonable. And lets not forget that this is a huge contest, so finding someone to slip a hotel with shouldn't be an issue.

There are very few excuses for not going. The last Voodoo Jam had more pro's visiting from other countries than from the US. Maybe it was just Americas fulfilling the stereotype that they are lazy, or maybe several dozen people had family emergencies that weekend.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:34 AM »
Scott O,  I think youre on to something having a best of two run format, then top three longer session final.  The final Session may be difficult to manage as far as rider time limits but I think you are up to it.  I hope to see something similar in the other classes as well.  The regular battle formats for Pros drag on forever.  But the Ams get one qualification run then a small final with only one run, that should be changed a bit too.  These are the guys paying to get to comps out of their own pocket and most get only 90 seconds of true comp time. 

A good seperate practice area is a big part of what makes a comp enjoyable in my opinion.  So guys can ride and interact while riding all event long.  Not pick up their bike cold and have to just try safe/dialed stuff.  This is an often overlooked part of a competition.  Without a proper seperate practice area the "luck of the draw" for when you ride makes a HUGE difference for some guys.  Anyway, I will be attending the next Vodoo Jam regardless.  Can't wait.

Brian

Offline thestraw

• Backpacker
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 08:07:39 AM »
i always thought that good contests were jams where contests just happened to be taking place

byke

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 08:32:05 AM »
This whole battle format is broken, and needs to be removed and replaced with other tried and tested methods that both involve the spectators more and gets the riders more pumped to ride.
I remember listening to a couple of brothers called rod and rex about how certain styles were out, and it was all about the human snake slither. I cant say if they were right or wrong, since bart had a piece of bloke totty at the time. Saying that, when will we see the return of one piece coke suits, preferably for the ladies?

Either way you can all complain as much as you like, but the fact remains the same ....
The bicycle boogie element, produced a girl doing pedaling deathtrucks a good decade before riders like Martti Kuoppa could even come close at the BMX Masters in Germany. (see at 5:22)

Battle is out and The Boogie is in.

Rad (bike boogie) Small | Large

Kool & The Gang - Fresh Small | Large

Pointer Sisters - Automatic Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:18:52 AM by byke »