Author Topic: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread  (Read 211998 times)

Offline durmiller

Re: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2011, 12:54:20 AM »
Am I really the only person to flip the stem? Surprising. New question. If I am going to replace the coaster/hub, should I upgrade spokes while I am at it?

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »
spokes are spokes unless you get triple butted ones or something and sure they shave weight but meh -only thing I guess you'd need to check is if the new hub has a different sized flange -then maybe you'd need different length spokes.  Hah and lacing a hub is kinda fun *kinda*
I noticed somewhere that you are in NC -we should meet up at some point though I am in Boone.  -Slide a message on over to bhuffman and maybe we could all meet up half way and get a little jam together.

Offline wolfpuppet

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »
Another question: Do I need a proper cone wrench to dismantle the freecoaster? Or would a standard open wrench do?

Thanks in advance! :beer:

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2011, 06:04:34 PM »
Another question: Do I need a proper cone wrench to dismantle the freecoaster? Or would a standard open wrench do?

A cone wrench helps but you may not really need one.  If you just use two open wrenches on the jam nuts on either side of the hub, one cone or the other will loosen up for you -then you'll be able to take the axle and parts out from one side.  Cone wrenches are nice for easily getting the tension just right when putting it back together although admittedly I managed for years without them -just gotta fiddle a lot with the tension by tightening the pegs which takes some patience =p

Offline wolfpuppet

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #259 on: June 03, 2011, 04:59:02 AM »

A cone wrench helps but you may not really need one.  If you just use two open wrenches on the jam nuts on either side of the hub, one cone or the other will loosen up for you -then you'll be able to take the axle and parts out from one side.  Cone wrenches are nice for easily getting the tension just right when putting it back together although admittedly I managed for years without them -just gotta fiddle a lot with the tension by tightening the pegs which takes some patience =p

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it. I checked tracking, and my Opsis should arrive early next week. Whoo!

mewefan

« Reply #260 on: June 28, 2011, 05:34:43 PM »
My 2010 Opsis:
Here is a picture of my Opsis.  It has been ridden hard and upgraded along the way: 

Intrikat 8.5 bars.
Odyssey Monolevers.
Odyssey Intac Seatpost.
Federal V2 Freecoaster.
28T Stolen Eternity Chainring.
Hoffman Tensioners.

*The rest is pretty much stock.  This is a great bike to get started on....Didn't have a ton of money initially to get a bike, but had the funds to get this one.  I've slowly had the money to upgrade along the way.  I will probably get a new frame eventually (Fly Tierra v3?)....The 19" TT of the Opsis is OK, but at 5'11" I do feel a little cramped.  Thanks DK for making an affordable way to get back into flatland. 

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #261 on: June 28, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
sweet! and upgrading is fun and simply part of life when it comes to flatland ;)

Offline muelbeedle

« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »
Hey, I'm having a problem with the freecoaster on my new 2011 opsis. It's been like this since the day I got the bike about 3 weeks ago (I've been riding every day hoping that it would break in and start working right or something). Most of the time, the hub takes like 2 or 3 revolutions of the pedals to engage. If I lean the bike toward the sprocket, the problem is better, and if I lean the bike the other way, it's worse. This is my first freecoaster and I don't know how they're really supposed to ride. Does it usually take some time riding a new freecoaster to get it to work right? Do you think there's something wrong with my freecoaster? Is this a common problem? It's getting really frustrating, it makes it super hard to ride out of tricks.
Thanks!

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #263 on: November 02, 2011, 03:53:53 AM »
stupid dk opsis freecoaster spring!                                                                                                                     
does where's waldo ride a fixie?

Offline IRIE

« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:21 PM »
Hello,

I just got a 2011 DK Opsis... the geometry is very nice but it feels pretty damn heavy.  Ive been riding a 2011 WTP Reason and its such a light bike, really fun to ride.  My question is: What is so heavy on this thing?  I thought it was a complete cromo frame?  I was gonna get some cromo flatland bars and narrow them - but besides that - any advice to put this puppy on a diet??  Thanks :  )

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #265 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
Hello,

I just got a 2011 DK Opsis... the geometry is very nice but it feels pretty damn heavy.  ....any advice to put this puppy on a diet??  Thanks :  )

Heya IRIE, it's a decent bike for the price but everything on it is not quite *pro* and so added up the total weight is much more than todays pro flatland rides.
On page [15] of this thread if you scroll down you'll come across a list of all the parts weights (for the 2010 which should be almost identical) -I weighed the parts with the mindset of people wanting to swap things out to save weight -go for the heaviest, cheapest to replace stuff right off.  Some of the first I swapped was the heavy gummy tires for some primo comets and the solid steel sprocket for something aluminum ;)  It's not a bad bike at all for the price but certainly not gonna be as pro and light as the higher dollar stuff out there.  One note -you'll want to replace the free coaster first chance you get as well, so if you still have your old back wheel I'd get that on there right away. (the hub works for a while but is a bit of a headache and it seems everyone reports it breaking for good after about six months)
Good luck!

Offline IRIE

« Reply #266 on: July 25, 2012, 03:10:16 PM »
Oh ok I saw where every piece was weighed but I thought it might be different cuz mine is a 2011, good good good I'll look at that!  That breakdown is awesome!  The thing is, im not very good so buying a pro bike seems stupid to me, but im wondering if a lighter bike would help me with some of the tricks.  Im only 5'5 and have a hard time getting the bike off the ground.   The geometry of the Opsis has helped a little bit, but im still having a tough time manuvering the bike. 

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #267 on: July 25, 2012, 04:14:28 PM »
The thing is, im not very good so buying a pro bike seems stupid to me, but im wondering if a lighter bike would help me with some of the tricks.  Im only 5'5 and have a hard time getting the bike off the ground.   The geometry of the Opsis has helped a little bit, but im still having a tough time manuvering the bike. 

Man, I SO hear ya on that -That was my exact dilemma to begin with as well. (5'5 too and 115 soaking wet LOL) and my old ride was a Dyno Pro Compe that weighed 35lbs!  All sorts of little things will help over time though -the geometry is indeed very good step in the right direction.  One of the great things about the Opsis is that since it is new(unlike the old '89 Dyno) -most of the parts can be switched easily with many pro parts out there now so it's a good buildable, evolvable bike.  As with all Flatland in general -even if you started with a light weight pro bike it takes hella work and repetitions to dial tricks in -so don't get discouraged -you'll adjust to the bike somewhat for sure too.  Definitely helps to swap a few parts on that beast though as you go along and can afford it. My opsis has completely been traded out over the last two years except the front wheel, pegs, gyro and brake levers. I know some pro parts are fairly expensive but you can do things like haunt the For Sale list here on the forum and watch for clearance sales such as the current frame deal at Flatlandfuel. (I picked up some Zion forks on clearance last year which were literally half the weight of the opsis forks and zero offset to boot which helped with my geometry by leaps and bounds ;)
Point: you'll always be tinkering with your bike (part of the fun and adventure of flatland to me) I'm sure I'll find some even newer stuff I want to switch too out as time goes on and things wear out.

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
Oh -tip on replacing Opsis sprocket... don't be afraid to go down in tooth size -alot of flatlanders have smaller gear ratio (I'm running 20:11 now and it feels way more natural for setting up in small spaces though I don't actually *ride* my bike anywhere) It really depends Completely on your preferences -do a search on "gear ratio" here on the forum and learn what you can before you purchase a new sprocket. Also if you plan on getting a new cog for your Opsis Taska hub or if you are going to switch the hub out totally -be sure to read up on how the new ratios may feel depending on what you can get. -last tip on that is... get a half link! hahaha I bought two since they are so cheap and keep a spare handy but OMG a half link will solve so many gearing issues ;) and at least one chain tensioner ain't a bad idea either lol
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 04:33:52 PM by scapegoat »

Offline IRIE

« Reply #269 on: July 28, 2012, 04:52:30 AM »
Well, i dont want to end up switching everything out - id rather buy a bike and just ride lol - im just not a tinkerer :  ).  If it was just a few heavy parts yeah - but the frame is heavy too.. lol im too weak (lazy) to ride a heavy bike! Lol... I had a mid school dyno/gt too - weighted as much as a kmart bike... Useless.  My WTP Reason is 25lbs still not the lightest bike - and its a dream to ride.  Thanks for your info and advice - its a big help :  )

BTW the opsis says it has a freecoaster hub - but i thought they were supposed to click loud - mine is silent. And it doesnttake off right away either is this a different style freecoaster?