Author Topic: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread  (Read 213031 times)

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
Re: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
5lb 10.8oz
All the specs are on page 1 of this thread ;)

Ima do me some part switching as soon as I get mine ^^ can't wait
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:23:26 PM by scapegoat »

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2010, 04:22:01 PM »
I'm looking at getting a 23t sprocket but would like to go down to 9t on the back -do I need a whole new hub or can I just get a 9t driver for the stock hob on the Opsis?  I'm just not sure how to go about searching for the part. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:36:20 PM by scapegoat »

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2010, 05:03:29 PM »
I'm looking at getting a 23t sprocket but would like to go down to 9t on the back -do I need a whole new hub or can I just get a 9t driver for the stock hob on the Opsis?  I'm just not sure how to go about searching for the part. Thanks!

New hub...stock one sucks anyways,mine broke after 6-7 months and I replaced it with a KHE Geisha Light freecoaster.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
5lb 10.8oz
All the specs are on page 1 of this thread ;)

Ima do me some part switching as soon as I get mine ^^ can't wait

The 5lb 10.8 oz. is the weight of the older "Signal," which is similar to the "Opsis" but not entirely the same.  It appears to me that the newer "Opsis" frames have a little less girth to them and may weigh less.  We've yet to have anyone take an Opsis apart and weight one, but I'm guessing it would be lighter than the Signal.

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »

At one time I believe that you could change out the driver from the Taska hub with one they made for another more expensive Taska freecoaster, but I believe you had to jump through some pretty high hoops to get one.  I'm not sure if they are available anymore anyways.

I've had mine for about 4 years now I think.  I keep mine maintained and I haven't had a problem.

Offline EvilMr5

« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2010, 05:34:46 AM »
hey yall quick one here i am 6 foot and 225LB's 32' inseam what is the best size frame or bike for my size and weight  ?

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
Does the DK stem have any built in gyro tabs or any of that?  I'm going to replace the stem when I get an Opsis and wondered if I need to order and gyro stuff along with it.
Thanks!

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #217 on: September 18, 2010, 03:38:17 AM »
Does the DK stem have any built in gyro tabs or any of that?  I'm going to replace the stem when I get an Opsis and wondered if I need to order and gyro stuff along with it.
Thanks!

The Opsis comes with removeable gyro tabs,a gyro plate that connects to the stem but is a seperate part..you're fine.

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #218 on: September 18, 2010, 03:57:43 AM »
thanks man!
Oh I ordered mine last night and it will get here in a couple days -I've got the scale ready to go and I'll weight it all part by part to update the list

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #219 on: September 18, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »
thanks man!
Oh I ordered mine last night and it will get here in a couple days -I've got the scale ready to go and I'll weight it all part by part to update the list

In order to weigh it part by part you're going to have to do some disassembling as the bike comes 70% built up,all there is for you to do is place the front and back wheel on,the pegs,and put the bars on and hook the brakes up.

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2010, 03:32:17 AM »
In order to weigh it part by part you're going to have to do some disassembling as the bike comes 70% built up

Oh that's no problem at all -I'll be taking the whole thing apart to switch out the frame any ways.  I've heard tell I need to "grease the hell out of" the freecoaster as well -wondering if I should go with full washers or take one out to begin with hmm haven't ever rode a freecoaster yet!
Hahah I was wondering if it would be Kosher after I was finished to post a pic but I guess technically it won't be an Opsis afterward =p

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
Just got the new DansComp catalog in the mail,man the new Opsis is lookin' sweet in black w/red rims.

Seems they made a slight change too in the cranks department.Instead of coming with 165mm cranks the new 2011 Opsis comes with 160mm cranks and it looks like they changed the seat.

It's weird though that they have all the new 2011 stuff in their catalog yet they don't have it on their website yet.

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2010, 09:27:24 PM »
red rims?? painted or anodized?

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
Red Alienation PBR's.

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #224 on: September 23, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
Just got my 2010 Opsis last night -Frikkin fantastic for the price.  It's pretty cool how they put some thought into it -cutting corners here and there to make it cheap but retaining alot of the real flatland flavor.  I highly recommend it for anyone starting out.  Very upgradable parts and a few are of decent quality at that.  The sprocket is solid stamped steel btw -I thought for sure it would be solid 5mm aluminum hahah -and there are some plastic washers on the bottom bracket, the bar ends are virtually useless -some stuff like that but man, it's really well thought out.
I did a complete break down since I am switching frames and a bunch of parts.  Weighed some parts in sets and individually -tried to be smart about it, like if you are planning to replace stuff or go with front or rear brakes only or... yada yada
If any one needs a photo of anything specific, please let me know.
anyways, here goes...

frame (no gyro tabs) 2407g
forks 1295g
bars 788g
front wheel 947g
rear wheel 1425g
(complete -rims, spokes, hub, axle/nuts)
innertubes (both) 266g (x1 133g)
tires (both) 1254g (x1 628g)
cranks 1114g (arms 824g, spindle 290g)
bottom bracket w/ washers 164g
sprocket (steel with adapter) 184g
pedals (both- with reflectors 360g, w/o 346g)
chain 235g
stem 305g
headset 72g
cap 31g
headset spacers 8g
grips (both) 109g
bar ends (both) 3g
seat with assy. 469g
seat post 150g
seat post clamp 28g
pegs (four) 462g (x1 116g)
brakes (one set, no pads) 130g
brake pads (one set) 57g
rear cables w/ hanger 156g
front cable 56g
lever (one) 73g
gyro, plate and tabs 100g
chain guard and all reflectors 203g
13111g =28.5 lbs

Thanks to all the supportive riders here for their experience and encouragement to help me make this decision and get back into riding again!