Author Topic: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread  (Read 212042 times)

Offline thedilanger

Re: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »
What's wrong with the chain...too long now lol.

Just get a chain breaker tool and take a few links out.When my Taska freecoaster that came stock on my 2010 DK Opsis crapped out on me I upgraded to a KHE Geisha Light freecoaster laced to a KHE Big V rim.This took me from a 28t sprocket and a 12t driver to a 28t sprocket and a 9t driver so from a 2:1 gear ratio to a 3.11:1 gear ratio.All I had to do was remove 2-3 links from my stock chain and it fits perfect...depending on how short or long you need the chain you may need a half link but I think you'll be able to get away with out one like I did.

I ordered the Yaban Half link chain from FlatlandFuel. I didnt know that the pins were mushroomed at the ends until my chain broke my chain breaker (theres a joke in there somewhere). And this was at around 1:00 in the morning since I had just come home from work and I didn't feel like waiting until the next day to go buy another chain breaker. So i ended up using a grinder, vice, chain breaker pin, and an old axle nut, but I shortened it and finally got it on my bike. Anyways, heres the pictures

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:30:29 PM by thedilanger »

Offline FlatlandNoob

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2010, 05:45:41 AM »
Anyone know which chain tensioners i should use for the opsis? Or how i can figure out which ones are compatible with the bike.

Offline thedilanger

« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2010, 05:30:04 PM »
Anyone know which chain tensioners i should use for the opsis? Or how i can figure out which ones are compatible with the bike.

I just use an old brake shoe spacer. I wedge it in between the dropout and the axle. works great, doesn't weigh much and best of all, its free. You don't HAVE to use a brake shoe spacer, just use whatever fits

pucker22

« Reply #198 on: August 26, 2010, 03:14:53 AM »

I just use an old brake shoe spacer. I wedge it in between the dropout and the axle. works great, doesn't weigh much and best of all, its free. You don't HAVE to use a brake shoe spacer, just use whatever fits

This!
Chain tensioners are a total waste of time, I spent forever trying to get them to work, they broke most of time time, just put a wrench in the middle, pull it back, and tighten, works perfect everytime.

Offline top_rider

• Backpacker
« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2010, 03:21:31 AM »
my new babe:

Offline bc

« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2010, 07:37:15 AM »
Just found this on youtube - a sneak preview of the 2011 model

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISFPwvnVOI[/youtube]

Offline Callum

« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:29 PM »
Hey guys, i'm knew here.
I'm trying to get into Flatland, and have been for atleast a year now, never really made the move though, so this is the time.
I'm looking to go for this bike http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?pageaction=VIEWPROD&PRODID=1590

As I live in Ireland, i'm not sure if they deliver here (Anybody know?) and if they do, wouldn't it be quite heavy on the shipping fee? If they don't deliver here, does anybody know any place that does?

Offline spyndrome

• Forkglider
« Reply #202 on: September 01, 2010, 10:07:11 PM »
Hey guys, i'm knew here.
I'm trying to get into Flatland, and have been for atleast a year now, never really made the move though, so this is the time.
I'm looking to go for this bike http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?pageaction=VIEWPROD&PRODID=1590

As I live in Ireland, i'm not sure if they deliver here (Anybody know?) and if they do, wouldn't it be quite heavy on the shipping fee? If they don't deliver here, does anybody know any place that does?

Welcome skylark.  Flatland Fuel has a shipping page with some basic rates but you might want to PM Patrick and see what is possible for shipping. I ride the same bike, so far no complaints other than the brake pads and grips. Good luck :D

Flatlandfuel shipping page: http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=1
PM Patrick: PSchoolen

Offline Callum

« Reply #203 on: September 01, 2010, 10:45:41 PM »
Hey guys, i'm knew here.

Welcome skylark.  Flatland Fuel has a shipping page with some basic rates but you might want to PM Patrick and see what is possible for shipping. I ride the same bike, so far no complaints other than the brake pads and grips. Good luck :D

Flatlandfuel shipping page: http://www.flatlandfuel.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=1
PM Patrick: PSchoolen

Thank you very much for your help and the nice welcoming.  -_-
It seems a good bike for beginners and in price range for most. Hopefully all goes well with it if I do finally get it.

Offline top_rider

• Backpacker
« Reply #204 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:25 AM »
anyone help me :(?? i bought a DK opsis 2010 and the brake was working fine. now i change my fork in to a tanaka LT and the brake works, but the pad seems like cannot stop the rim at all.still the same pad and the same rim. the spring was perfect and the brake lever feels right but why doesnt it work :( help me plzzz

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2010, 08:28:12 PM »
dang that's weird about your brakes man -maybe the cable is having trouble in the new fork?

On that video back there -hahahaha is that huffman in the background??

One question... Anyone have a specs breakdown for the 2011 like the breakdown for the 2010 at the beginning of this thread?  I'd love to know the new weights of parts for the 2011.  I had thought about getting a 2010 and replacing the seat and post for lighter parts but maybe this new 2011 is worth waiting for -also are those new tires or the same as the 2010?

Offline scapegoat

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2010, 02:48:05 AM »
What parts on the Opsis would you immediately switch out for lighter ones?  I may be putting this on a different frame but also would like to get light in a smart way i.e. budget minded.  Would it be worth going crazy with a hollow titanium crank spindle?  Would the opsis cranks even work on a ti spindle? lol
I've already got planned to get a lighter seat and maybe even a sprocket but just wondered opinions before I make the move

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »
What parts on the Opsis would you immediately switch out for lighter ones?  I may be putting this on a different frame but also would like to get light in a smart way i.e. budget minded.  Would it be worth going crazy with a hollow titanium crank spindle?  Would the opsis cranks even work on a ti spindle? lol
I've already got planned to get a lighter seat and maybe even a sprocket but just wondered opinions before I make the move

It used to be that there were several parts on the DK entry-level flat bikes that could be replaced for pretty big weight savings.  At one time, they came with metal platform pedals and switching out to plastic would help a lot.  They also used to have the big, heavy padded seats and steel seat posts. 

The thing is, over the years, DK has upgraded the bike with better/lighter parts.  Back when I bought my signal, they were almost 32 pounds out of the box.  Now they are advertised about 3 lbs. lighter.

Personally, the only thing I'd want to change out of the box on the new Opsis's are the bars.  Something with a lower or curved cross bar made from chromoly.  Most of the other parts seem to be well thought out and should last a decent amount of time unless you are REALLY hard on parts, even though they are "budget" quality.  This on top of the fact that the bike doesn't look cheap either.  Especially the newer models that have come in some really classy color combos and slick graphics.  I really like the 2011's as well.

If you are absolutely determined to save some weight, even though the bike isn't really "heavy" in comparison to most BMX-style bikes, the most "bang for buck" might be switching the tires out for some Frequency G's (if you like that tire).  Given that the bike is marketed to those on a budget, you probably aren't going to get a lot more in weight savings unless you start spending a lot more for pricey ultra-light parts more geared to seasoned riders who can afford to break things more often  ^_^.  Personally, I don't think that the difference is really going to be worth the cost.  There's nothing really wrong with the bike, or it's weight out of the box, so if it ain't broke.....

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
Also, it looks like the 2011's might come with some kind of Pivotal seat.  There's some additional weight savings.

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
does any1 know the wieght of a dk opsis frame? thanks