Author Topic: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread  (Read 212039 times)

Offline TeamBUC4332

Re: DK Signal/Opsis Information Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 05, 2010, 11:41:54 PM »
updated pic with the brakes off and some different grips.
i threw the bike around yesterday. Havent ridden in like 7 yrs. did hang fives and some rolling tricks. bike is SO much lighter than other bikes i've ridden.

i grew up riding with brakes. I took these off and will diligently try my best to re-learn and learn tricks w/o them. gonna be hard.. lol

UPDATE

Well I can say the seat sucks .. Went riding. tried some cliff hangers and the seat moved. went home, tightened the guts and SNAP. the cheap bolt snapped right off.. Wonderful. time for a 1st upgrade on this bike. whats next..?  stay tuned.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:19:28 AM by TeamBUC4332 »

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
I bent the seat post the first day, and snapped part of the plastic pedals in a week.  Those will be your next two upgrades.  But overall...I'm still riding the bike a year and half later.  The cheap freecoaster as been surprisingly pleasant.  I've tried different high end bars, and always go back to the Opsis bars...they just feel right to me.   
"A puppet no more!"

Offline TeamBUC4332

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »
funny you said that. after wasting the seat guts, i just went and bought a new post with the clamp style design for the railed seat. pedals are good so far. the freecoaster has a ton of slip in it and for now i'm dealing with it. dont care for the cog/sprocket ratio. the front end of this bike is super super light. i catch myself pulling up to hard constantly.
suprisingly after nearly 10 yrs of not riding flat i can still get into hitchikers and some of the stuff that i left off at a decade ago.

its fun so far. riding brakeless is a challenge that im forcing myself to take on.

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2010, 05:21:37 PM »
Hey thanks 4 all the DKOpsis info.Ive been reading alot about this bike.Its just too good of a price 4 a flatbike.Ive always liked the Quamen but to custom built a bike now its just too much$$.Right now i just need a complete bike to get me around and to simply enjoy n ride flat.Maybe even some light street jumping.There's always upgrades to be made on any bike so its all good.Does anyone know when the 2011 Opsis is coming out? Thanks Again!!
One Last Ride.

pucker22

« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2010, 06:09:25 PM »
Thanks for the heads up bro, my KHe is sh*t and Im not wasting more time or money on it so I thinking about buying this or i think i might just buy a street bike since they dont suck balls and loose some weight....

Offline tehdisciple

• Forkglider
« Reply #140 on: April 25, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
I got this bike 4 months ago, its a good bike. Although i'm a tall guy.. after 2 hours or so my back starts cramping up, i may want to get higher bars soon. I still haven't found where the best height is for the seat. I had it lower but then i raised it to practice half hikers, but now that i'm comfortable i may try lowering it again. I agree that the front is very light. When i first tried learning peg wheelies i was bringing it way too high.

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
« Reply #141 on: April 26, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
I agree that the front is very light. When i first tried learning peg wheelies i was bringing it way too high.

Yep,front end is light,back end is a bit heavy.

I am 6'0" tall and quickly switched out the tiny bars for some bars with 8"+ rise to them...considering some of Marcel's Barfly's in 8.5" - 9" but I think it might help me more with front wheel tricks like hang 5's etc. if I try to balance the weight of the bike out;lighten up the rear end some.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline mcub

« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2010, 07:45:38 AM »
new to the forum. just recently got captivated on riding flatland. did research. read A lot. learned myself on bmx cuz i'm relatively new to it. anyway. Really thinking about gettin' the Opsis 2010.

ive asked around everywhere but responses aren't as fast as i'd like and i wanna ride, Now hah.

BUT

as my first bmx bike for yeaarsss, i don't wanna be Limited to flatland if that makes any sense. i reaally wanna get into it. but i do wanna be able to cruise around my city and jump off little things and grind here and there. nothin extreme. but i Do wanna feel comfortable that i won't break my bike because its a pretty big investment for me money wise.

So.

how Far can i push an opsis doing street.. or not far, whatever the case

Offline hardrocker950

• Forkglider
« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »
new to the forum. just recently got captivated on riding flatland. did research. read A lot. learned myself on bmx cuz i'm relatively new to it. anyway. Really thinking about gettin' the Opsis 2010.

ive asked around everywhere but responses aren't as fast as i'd like and i wanna ride, Now hah.

BUT

as my first bmx bike for yeaarsss, i don't wanna be Limited to flatland if that makes any sense. i reaally wanna get into it. but i do wanna be able to cruise around my city and jump off little things and grind here and there. nothin extreme. but i Do wanna feel comfortable that i won't break my bike because its a pretty big investment for me money wise.

So.

I wouldn't ride any street/park with the Opsis, or any flatland specific bike for that matter. they are built much differently. The geometry of a flatland frame/parts would probably not feel very natural jumping and grinding. The frames are built more for balance than to take heavy impact from jumping as opposed to a street or dirt frame. If you want to ride both you would probably want 2 bikes, or learn some flat on a street bike (which can be done.)

Offline HighLander

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2010, 11:18:31 PM »
I think that the Opsis(frame)can handle some street abuse.Its weight makes me believe this.Its not like the modern flatland frames(khe,stmartin,simple)that are 3,4lbs.light tubing that u can see wont withstand heavy street abuse.The wheels n freecoaster hubs on the Opsis(36)dont convince me for street abuse.All other parts r just standard.I had the HaroM6(18.75tt) and this bike i can Yes tell u was strong for both street n flat but a heavy.Another frame i had years ago was the Morales twin top tube and it was flatland specific by factory but it was heavy and thick and yes i believe it could take Heavy street abuse.But it was 18tt very short.The Opsis is 19tt so i believe its light street ridable. 
One Last Ride.

Offline mcub

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »
thank you for the input. as of now, for street. i'm just interested in doing 360's off the ground. and a goal is to wall ride tail whip and little things like that. As of now, i'm not too interested in doing stairs or big jumps or anything. basically i just wanna be able to cruise around and have fun on it without being scared of breakin it.

my fault for the noobness. i don't know the capabilities of flatland. but i know physics enough to know smaller lighter frames might not withstand poundings.

basically. i guess, whats the Most i can do on an opsis in terms of street within comfort.

i Really appreciate the help. Nooo body i know rides flatland. dont even know if anyone i know Knows about flatland. but i can't fight the urge to do it. but i do wanna be able ride around too. i'm also leanin on just pickin up a beater from craigslist to get my street fix if yall Really think the opsis can't. but i'd prefer not to spend the cash. i keep watchin videos, street n park is Impressive but i feel like i'd have more fun playin with flatland

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #146 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:27 AM »

BUT

So.

I wouldn't ride any street/park with the Opsis, or any flatland specific bike for that matter. they are built much differently. The geometry of a flatland frame/parts would probably not feel very natural jumping and grinding. The frames are built more for balance than to take heavy impact from jumping as opposed to a street or dirt frame. If you want to ride both you would probably want 2 bikes, or learn some flat on a street bike (which can be done.)

I've ridden some street on my Opsis...and I come from a street background for the last 20 years.  It held up fine.  Nothing to burly...but I did do some stair gaps, about 8 or 9 stairs. 

Riding a Strowler now, and it can handle some street abuse too.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2010, 02:20:32 AM »
thank you for the input. as of now, for street. i'm just interested in doing 360's off the ground. and a goal is to wall ride tail whip and little things like that. As of now, i'm not too interested in doing stairs or big jumps or anything. basically i just wanna be able to cruise around and have fun on it without being scared of breakin it.

my fault for the noobness. i don't know the capabilities of flatland. but i know physics enough to know smaller lighter frames might not withstand poundings.

basically. i guess, whats the Most i can do on an opsis in terms of street within comfort.

i Really appreciate the help. Nooo body i know rides flatland. dont even know if anyone i know Knows about flatland. but i can't fight the urge to do it. but i do wanna be able ride around too. i'm also leanin on just pickin up a beater from craigslist to get my street fix if yall Really think the opsis can't. but i'd prefer not to spend the cash. i keep watchin videos, street n park is Impressive but i feel like i'd have more fun playin with flatland

I've ridden street on my Opsis...held up pretty good.  Nothing to burly, but yeah...if you like the way it feels, ride street on it too!
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Olds Cool

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2010, 02:41:06 AM »
I like the Opsis.

If your in the market for one....hurry and go to Danscomp....add one to your cart.....at the checkout there is a box that says "apply code"..........in the box type.....41d5....BAM 20% off the Opsis!!! 288.94 shipped to your door....how can you beat that deal. Not too sure how long the code will lasts but it worked right now.

Offline mcub

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Thank you all! appreciate it. could i do like big bunny hops at least on it without being scared?