Author Topic: Newb alert! Did a search but still need help.....  (Read 3591 times)

Offline oldschoolfool

• Funky Chicken
Re: Newb alert! Did a search but still need help.....
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 07:32:43 AM »
Yes Jake,

That was definitely a concern of mine before I got into this project.....I told Rick as long as we can keep the frame 6lbs or less we are good......an '86 Redline RL20II frame weighs 6 pounds so that weight is fine with me......I know that is heavy by 'today's standards' but think about this- how many of these three or four pound frames can last another 15 years? You can still jump all over a '95 frame now without any issues, that's why I'm okay with the weight. Don't get me wrong, I love the new frames, but having to buy a new frame every year or so just seems oddl to me......and thank you, I did have a look at the 250L but I think I am going to stick with the STA just to be safe.

And in your opinion.....or anyone else's opinion here, I am looking at brakes.....I know the sworn setup is Suelo front Fly rear, which I don't mind paying the money for......just want to know if they are that much better than a set of Odyssey Evo 2's on front and rear? Pros and cons of each, aside from weight?

Thanks!

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 07:56:52 AM »
I hear ya, but I do think that yesterdays 6lb, "lasts for a long time" frame today weighs only 4 lbs and lasts just a long. I don't get the impression that people are snapping those 4-4.5lb frames right and left. Now the 3 lb frames sure. But I really do think that you would be ok on a 4-4.5 lb frame. Just my opinion though and I can understand wanting to be safe.

I wasn't all that weight conscience until I noticed my wrists taking a beating at 37 and hurting like hell. Then it started to matter. Every little pound matters for us old guys. Wont talk you out of it though. It's just a lot of money to dump into a frame and getting something that brakes too fast is just as bad as getting something that you end up not liking because of the weight. No one knows what you want better than you though.

On brakes, honestly I nave not tried some of the others so I cant really say that they are so much better. Personally I ride the Evo II's front and rear without any complaints. Can't say I would be willing to look into it since I am just fine where I am at. Anything is better than a PitBull right?

One thing I can tell you though is if you never plan to run brakeless, get permanent brake mounts. Removable brake mounts are the most retarded idea ever. I end up tightening down one side of the mounts every once in a while because it works its way loose. I think its cheaper to have Rick make them permanent anyway.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline oldschoolfool

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »
Thank you Jake,

I will double check with Rick on the weight estimate for my frame....and yes, I am all for lightweight....maybe I'm a little overcautious.....lol......and I feel the same way about the threaded front brake posts....I was in shock when I saw that.....lol....I definitely need both brakes at all time as I still do hopping tricks, and ride my bike around town.

I am planning on running Odyssey forks and they will definitely have the brake mounts welded on.....was debating on getting the dirt fork cause it was stronger despite being slightly heavier....here we go again...haha...

In any case I'm sure you will love my new build when it's done.

Thanks!!

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 02:22:05 AM »
Oh I'm talking about any removable brake mounts. Mine on the frame come loose every once in a while. Just on the one side of course.

I'm the same way. Not so much about the hopping tricks (most of the hopping stuff was passe by the time I started getting serious, but I did do some of it), but I like having both brakes. You give up too many fun tricks without brakes.

I didn't go the odyssey fork rout, but not because I had anything against them. I know everybody swears by them and I kinda wish I had got flatware forks. I'd go flatware without reservation. I thought I would kill my Colony forks in a month and they are holding up great. From what I understand the flatwares are even stronger.

I'm sure man. I'm strongly leaning the other direction, but who knows, I may have Rick make it's twin!
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement