Author Topic: Fork is moving  (Read 3830 times)

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
Fork is moving
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
I have a problem with my bike but I'm scared to take it apart because I never took a bike apart. Yeah.. I know.

So, whenever I'm on my bike, holding the brakes, with my feet on the ground the forks move. When I push forward on the bars I just feel the fork moving. Does anyone know how to fix it?

Ow, and also, yesterday the 'ring' on one of the bearing cups fell off. It's hanging in between the crank arm and bearing cup right now. How should I put it back on?

I must sound very stupid.  ;D

Thanks in advance.

Phatman

Re: Fork is moving
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »
The fork problem is easy to fix my friend. Simply loosen your stem bolts & tighten the compression bolt (bolt on top of your stem) down untill the forks have no play, then tighten your stem bolts back up & your done.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
The fork problem is easy to fix my friend. Simply loosen your stem bolts & tighten the compression bolt (bolt on top of your stem) down untill the forks have no play, then tighten your stem bolts back up & your done.
Hopefully you didn't ride the bike like this to long, then if this dosen't work then your headset is shot.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:04:01 PM by rawchild »
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:01:57 PM »

I have a swissmiss so there is no compression bolt. Is the concept the same?

Phatman

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
The compression bolt is part of your fork. What you need to do is undo the two bolts on the back of the swiss miss then tighten down the bolt that threads directly into your fork.

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
The compression bolt is part of your fork. What you need to do is undo the two bolts on the back of the swiss miss then tighten down the bolt that threads directly into your fork.

Lol, I'm so stupid. There actually is a compression bolt. Anyways it's fixed. Thanks a lot.

Another stupid question.  ;D I took off the compression bolt and the other two bolts but the bars/stem didn't get off the fork. Why is this?

Offline top_rider

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 11:31:33 PM »
After u loosen the stem bolts and take off the compression bolt, Just try to twist to take the bars-stem off the forks dude

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 11:49:23 PM »
After u loosen the stem bolts and take off the compression bolt, Just try to twist to take the bars-stem off the forks dude

I tried that, nearly f*cked up the headset. But it didn't come off.

Offline top_rider

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
the headset is UNDER your Stem and spacers, how can u f**k em up?

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 01:43:24 AM »
Dunno..

Offline top_rider

• Backpacker
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 02:09:33 AM »
I totally dont understand. just get those stem/bars off, the headset DOES NOT get in your way !

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 02:12:19 AM »
I tried, it doesn't come off. It's really strange

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »
if you really want them off, take out both bolts and screw them in from the opposite side, put a butter knife blade in the gap and tighten just a tiny bit to spread the gap a little. they should pull right off with little effort if your compression bolt is removed.

Offline datisstom

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
if you really want them off, take out both bolts and screw them in from the opposite side, put a butter knife blade in the gap and tighten just a tiny bit to spread the gap a little. they should pull right off with little effort if your compression bolt is removed.

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Now the BB problem..

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 08:56:17 AM »
Lol, I'm so stupid.

We'll have none of that bro. We all have to start learning maintenance somewhere. None of knew how to do this stuff out of the gate.

As for your BB, I am guessing that the bearing shield is off the bearing. Do what you can to press it back into place. It should kind of "pop in" when you get it seated right. If it keeps popping off, you might want to replace the bearing.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement