Author Topic: newbie hang 5 frustration  (Read 3399 times)

Offline mcflattigan

newbie hang 5 frustration
« on: April 29, 2011, 09:46:36 AM »
I am new to flatland so plz don't be to harsh lol. I have been working on hang 5's everyday for 6+ hours a day for the last week and it is beginning to frustrate me to an extreme. I can ride into, or at least get my seat up and hold for about 5-10 feet but can't ride out and still doesn't quite 'feel' like i have control. So I guess my question is: how long does it take to learn? This trick has been my only focus for the past little while and I am feeling like i'm getting nowhere  :huh: I can steam roller, peg wheelie, ect. just simple basic tricks but this one seems to be the hardest and most frustrating yet!... Sorry for the long post, but i'm hoping to get some encouragement to keep going. Also what 'stages' if i may did you go through to learn it? Am I just being a panzy about this trick and over reacting? Any advice would be helpful thanks!

Offline manu

• Hitchhiker
Re: newbie hang 5 frustration
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »
yes this can be a pain to learn. Especially because it's the first advanced move you learn.
What you're experiencing is exactly the reason why many start but few persevere.
Trying the same thing over and over again numbs you and will drain the courage right out of you.
That's why I always talk people into switching things up a bit.
Try it with the seat higher and lower. Add some spacers under your stem and then take them all away.
Start from the back peg and then start from the pedal.
Bend your knee to the extreme so that you get tucked in deep over your handlebar and then stretch it .
Swing your balancing leg all the way back and forth again.
By forcing yourself in all kinds of different positions your body builds up a memory.
These memories may not always be the correct ones to perform a proper hangfive but in time you'll be able to weed out what works and what doesn't.
Try not to anxiously stick to something when you think you've found something, keep trying different things.
Don't be bummed if for example you throw yourself over your handlebar when you put your seat higher, that's the whole point; keep at it for a couple of hours and get comfortable with it.
When you put your seat superlow you'll be amazed of what you've learned.

Regarding hangfive in particular;
Try to get your shoulders over the axle of your front wheel and work that balancing leg.

Also check TJ's "come hither" thread which was conceived especially for the likes of you.
http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=23305.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:53:11 AM by manu »

Offline mcflattigan

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:20 PM »
hell yeah thx manu, lol working on this trick has doubled the time i usually put into my sessions. Helps to know it takes people months to get the trick down, specially when I have people telling me "yeah i learned in a week or two". I'll definately keep practicing, or at least I haven't givin up yet  ;D. Thanks for pointing that post to me also, can't believe I didn't look at it first!  :rolleyes: Also just an offtopic thought: why does flatland get so much negative feedback? I have kids telling me "park is way cooler flatland is gay". almost word for word what I hear half the time  :huh:

Offline UFO

• Hitchhiker
    • UFOBMX
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
The seat come into play when first learning Hang5 try it a little higher seat height once you get hang5 dialed you can hang5 with the seat high, low, no seat do whatever.

Offline j37h307

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:41 AM »
take a break from the trick for a couple days maybe even a week or so. I've been practicing double footed steams for about a month now, the first week I progressed a lot. but then the second week I made no progression, maybe even got worse at the trick. I said screw it and practiced some different tricks, for a couple days. I tried the double footed steams again after those couple days off and had them down no problem. I think the muscles you use most for that specific trick just get worn out after a while. They need some recovery time sometimes.

Offline black aspirin

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 04:04:21 AM »
Just relax, and keep at it in the long run.  Maybe take a short break from it.  Work on other stuff in the meantime...I know from experience, it's easy to get so obsessed with a trick that you work yourself into a rut with it. 

Taking a break for a day or two is not going to hurt, and sometimes will surprise you with how much it helps.  These days, I'm trying to add more stuff to be working on so it's not any one major thing and I have fun and progress in multiple ways (hopefully).

The trick with all rolling stuff, to break it down to the most basic form...is to stay centered over the top of the pegs in the balance point.  When you're doing it right, the bike feels weightless and you're relaxed.  It takes time, so don't beat yourself up over it.  And seriously, 6 hours a day working on it?  Respect, dude.  That alone ensures that you will get there; just have patience and look how far you've come.

Offline mcflattigan

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:17:05 AM »
you guys are awsome! I took a day off and start working on it a little bit today (lol also  a stiff drink involved) but already seeing progress.. just barely starting to feel control but can't ride out of it. Practicing this trick HAS become a major obsession! I'm too stuborn to give up before I can ride it all the way down the road  :P at least a block just like every trick i guess.. i suppose its how i vent lol. to anyone who is new to this trick also, just keep in mind i'm right there with you and don't be intimidated to fall hard a few hundred times lol.. i have probly body slammed at least a hundred myself. just like any trick get up and try again! your guys advice is awsome! I have been/and will follow every bit. seems like the more I practice the more I want it to happen.  :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline jamesteo

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 05:01:30 AM »
Since you already mastered Steam roller, how about Mc Circle or Fire hydrants. You can look for other interesting tricks for time being.

Offline 1pyroace1

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 05:43:24 AM »
don't be ashamed i already coming close to a megaspin-timemachine and i still havn't learn my hang 5 yet well not perfect any ways so yea...
"you may not change the world but you can change a part of it"

Offline manniedamaniac

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 01:51:27 PM »
ya i find if i get frustrated with a trick i take a break with it for awhile. I still havent learned hang fives yet but this summer i will try them...