Author Topic: Voodoo Jam 2007: Final Pro Battle  (Read 15602 times)

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Voodoo Jam 2007: Final Pro Battle
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 01:49:08 AM »
damn freecaster to hell!!! Errors loading and all this crap and I still havent managed to see the video, and I really really want to because it sounds awesome:(

Offline jffe

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 02:02:35 AM »
----And I thought agoride had the worst video players ever.  :rolleyes:

jffe

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 03:32:06 AM »
watched it finally, Matthias deserved every bit of that win. Good f*cking job, awesome battle too. I think the best part was where Terry just barely held onto that hiker-huck landing.

Max S

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 04:54:38 AM »
It is too bad that Hiro kind of fell apart in qualifying because in practice he was UNREAL. I was most impressed with his riding, super fast and super technical. Willhelm was impressive as well. No matter how many times I see him ride he always manages to impress me. He had some new stuff as well and judging by his qualifying runs he looked set to take the crown (he qualified first by the way). Anyways I hope someone will post some practice footage of Hiro because it was insane.  Also York Uno has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. That guys riding is so insanely fast that he just looks like a blur. Nice stuff.

Offline Nlott

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 05:56:24 AM »
outstanding riding.
Nolan Lott
Binghamton University

Offline Sweatpants

• Backpacker
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 06:13:16 AM »
I haven't watched this vid, but I did see it live.  Mattais demonstrated a stirling attitude in the final battle.  Being barely 18, he showed remarkable maturity and integrity on the floor, and made it to the Final Battle the hard way.  He's definitely one to watch.  I don't envy the task the judges had to complete that day. The riding level was so high, it was a difficult job I imagine. Raph's shorts ruled.

Offline kabirun

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »
I haven't watched this vid, but I did see it live.  Mattais demonstrated a stirling attitude in the final battle.  Being barely 18, he showed remarkable maturity and integrity on the floor, and made it to the Final Battle the hard way.  He's definitely one to watch.  I don't envy the task the judges had to complete that day. The riding level was so high, it was a difficult job I imagine. Raph's shorts ruled.

well, I do like Terry Adams and know about the difficulty of the stuff he does, but I found hard to explain the fact that he was in the final battles. Other riders routines are much more condensed and risk way more (per every variation and link they do). say in 20 seconds mathiass did... how many tricks and variants do you like--6-8 ???, while Terry one or two????  judging should not only focus on whether a rider falls or not but also about the repertoirs/time ratio of every rider.

that's my 2cents analysis if you like...

K

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 07:11:47 AM »
matt w was awsome
hiro in practice was unreal. that one link (everyone there knows what im talking about) was off the hook.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 07:12:06 AM »
It is too bad that Hiro kind of fell apart in qualifying because in practice he was UNREAL. I was most impressed with his riding, super fast and super technical. Willhelm was impressive as well. No matter how many times I see him ride he always manages to impress me. He had some new stuff as well and judging by his qualifying runs he looked set to take the crown (he qualified first by the way). Anyways I hope someone will post some practice footage of Hiro because it was insane.  Also York Uno has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. That guys riding is so insanely fast that he just looks like a blur. Nice stuff.

word

Hiro hit the hardest links of the day period...just not at the right time.

Mathais is a great direction for flatland.

I loved the choose your own battle format thingy...VERY INTERESTING and I think the crowd loved it.

added a little playfull drama to it.

Steingrabber should have gotten past Raphael I think. Raph's got some bad ass links...but Steigrabber pulled it together...I know it wasnt as one sided as it occured. Rapheal didnt just win he got every flag didnt he?

No worried enough about to think it ruined the day or anything..NOTHING COULD HAVE.

This was a big thing for flatland in the US...and hopefully its resecuring what should be a HUGE pillar on the global scale. Asia, Europe and North America

all these continents need to participate in a global flatland market.

an Aussie or maybe southern Asia comp on the points system seams like it'd be rad.

Lets sell some flatland frames now.
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 07:38:25 AM »
i thaught the same thing about Steingrabber.dude killed it and ralphel rode good to but he only did his back wheel stuff and fell a good bit.i really wanted to see some of his front wheel stuff but didnt see any the whole contest.just his new backwheel stuff.Steingrabber killed it backwheel and front.im not even sure if he fell more then onice.he did some nice tricks that looked like u would need breaks to do them.but the flags went for ralphel so thats who gets it.

i really like this format alot.it was fun to watch and seems fair too.the battles were all good and fun to watch. the dopest thing about this contest was the vibe.there was a five second rule where a person could restart his combo if he fell in the first five seconds.i saw more then one rider let the person they were battling restart thier combo even after falling after 5 seconds.
this is something that would NOT happen in a bboy contest, EVER. so it was great to see ppl just really amped for each other and thier tricks. even mattias in the final battle telling terry to go again after falling in his first attempt.fuking awsome.im pretty sure terry did the same for him too.

i want a hiro solo video after what i saw in his prctice though.

TJ Perry

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 11:24:19 AM »
From everything that I'm hearing it seems like good vibes have finally been reinstalled in flatland contests.

I don't care who won (I mean.. I do.. props Matthias  -_- ) but just to hear that riders spent the weekend dropping the whole "YO YOU WANNA BATTLE ME!?" attitude... is awesome.

Offline Todd Loves Curry

• Team
  • Backpacker
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!!!
    • Flatland Australia
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 12:00:52 PM »
an Aussie or maybe southern Asia comp on the points system seams like it'd be rad.

Hopefully the Australian BMX Games will be half as good as this in years to come. We just need some more bloody riders!!!

Offline ancientskool

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
To each his own.....

Mattias did great.  No question.  But...again...it's all spinning front wheel, all the time.  Yes it's hard to put your feet and hands in all the different positions and variations.  But, his run lacked much balance where Terry didn't spend his whole run just doing fast front wheel variations and pulled some big, very hard tricks.  Hyper fast?  No.  Super difficult AND balanced?  Yes.  I don't think that speed and quantity should necessary rule over balance and shear difficulty.

I would love to have seen Mike S's run because it sounds as if he too had a well balanced run between front and back wheel.

At some point...to me, it gets like watching a unicyclist with front wheel only riders.  Just bring out the un-bikes and be done with it.  :P

The important thing though it that it does seem as though a great time was had by all and egos where left at the door. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:18:08 PM by ancientskool »

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
Man, That kid (no disrespect intended) was insane. What an amazing amount of talent for just 18 years old.

Looked like a great contest, and super venue as well.

Gotta go find my red running shorts. See ya!

Offline Marcel_Munich

• Backpacker
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »
every ten years there is a new flatland star coming into the sky, i think....
"a flatland rider is a rider who rides on a flatland" :-D Chad rulez"

http://www.myspace.com/dermasl !