Author Topic: Justin Miller Interview by Terry Adams  (Read 22275 times)

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
Re: Justin Miller Interview by Terry Adams
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:17:40 AM »
He really was just smoother than everyone else.

Offline blind

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 04:27:31 AM »
Awsome rider, nice guy.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 04:53:52 AM »
I thank the stars I actually got to see him ride in person at the very first jomopro flat comp in 09.

Dudes INSANELY dialed. And to make it a reality to be THAt dialed at some of if not the hardest tricks on the planet, it will never be fun haha. Which im sure is not why he quit, obviously he wants luxury in his life and not flatland hermit style.

I hear " He will never come back. " "He hasnt touched his bike since jomopro 09"

And i just cant see him not touching it maybe for an instance to have some fun.. Who knows, maybe there will be a wrath of justin miller webedits in the future, lets pray atleast.

Budz

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 05:25:28 AM »
Do your thing Justin...youre bike will be there when youre ready to bust again.
Miss seein you ride tho, i wont lie.

RIDE ON!

Offline fit.

• Hitchhiker
    • http://petr.vaverka.net
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
he killed it with his last sentence.

Offline Wouter van der Linde

• GF Inhabitant
    • Dutchflatland
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 11:52:50 AM »
justin took riding waaaay to serious - granted he was a great contest rider but that ultimately causes anyone to get burnt out. Its one thing to be dedicated but its another thing to physically get sick when you don't perform well on the bike, thats just plain insane, wheres the fun in that

Thats a typical top sporter mentality...
I've played waterpolo for 11 years and we were playing in the top of our country.
Our team was just way to serious about it, thats why I quit..
Sport has to be fun in my opinion.

Offline Metaphore

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »
justin took riding waaaay to serious - granted he was a great contest rider but that ultimately causes anyone to get burnt out. Its one thing to be dedicated but its another thing to physically get sick when you don't perform well on the bike, thats just plain insane, wheres the fun in that

Thats a typical top sporter mentality...
I've played waterpolo for 11 years and we were playing in the top of our country.
Our team was just way to serious about it, thats why I quit..
Sport has to be fun in my opinion.

Wow, it's been a while since I've been on here.

I really enjoyed the interview, because I always used to wonder a lot about the reasons behind Justin's riding and competing, wondering what made him tick. It's understandable when you read 'plane ticket costs 1300 bucks and 1st place is 2K, not much room for error'. I salute him for being so determined, and all business-like. I love flatland because it's such a humble sport where most of the riders get along and don't take it all that seriously; but I respect him just as much for being somewhat different on that part. He was a hard-ass back then, and from what I read still is now, working seven days a week, getting sh*t done. My hat goes off to him, although I'd love to see him ride again. I hope one day the dust will come off the bike and Justin will bust again. Even if he doesn't post videos or bust bomb tricks, I hope he will one day ride again and just enjoy it!

Offline Erik Otto

• GF Inhabitant
  • The Brotherhood for life.
    • Monolithic Flatland
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
I completely understand Justin's need to make a living.  He is doing well with his business and once you get the ball rolling with your own business, it's very hard to stop and go back.  Maybe if his business grows to the point where he can hire guys to do the physical work and he can kick upstairs to a managerial role, and find the time to ride again.  It would be great to see him ride again without the added pressure of having to win all the time.

The sad part about this whole story is that you have a Pro rider of Justin's natural athletic ability and even when he is at the top of his game, it is next to impossible to survive off of flatland.  Matt and Terry are very lucky to ride for a living the way they do.  The reality of living life and having to put food on the table and keep a roof over ones head is hard to ignore.

I don't know what to blame for situations like this.  Part of me feels that bike companies (especially ones like KHE) should support their riders better. I mean if they can't afford to pay the expenses for a rider whose name is on their product for crying out loud, something is seriously wrong.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »
It's a shame he's gone. I honestly believe Justin was the best flatland rider of all time. He just put his focus into contests rather than video parts.

Lee

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »

imagine the stress of knowing your mortgage payment / bills depended on how well you rode at a comp.  if you truly love flatland, then how can you try to make a living out of it?  you're essentially a jock when you do this.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 08:50:01 PM »

imagine the stress of knowing your mortgage payment / bills depended on how well you rode at a comp.  if you truly love flatland, then how can you try to make a living out of it?  you're essentially a jock when you do this.

This. If I remember correctly, Justin was using riding to pay for school. He still graduated with like a 4.0 or something ridiculous despite riding 5 hours EVERY DAY no matter what. Also, if you're competing at the top level of any sport, not all of your riding will be "fun". Matthias looks like he's having fun a lot of the time, but he's very competitive and bad placings get to him just the same as anyone else on that tier of riding.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 08:58:16 PM by 2flat2furious »

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »

imagine the stress of knowing your mortgage payment / bills depended on how well you rode at a comp.  if you truly love flatland, then how can you try to make a living out of it?  you're essentially a jock when you do this.

+1.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

?uest

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 03:06:17 AM »
too much damn money was invested in the Fred Blood days
100k contracts for doing trackstands wearing leathers

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:27 AM »
I always wondered why Martti and Justin hate each other.. Anyone knows that?

Just check the topics of this board after the 9th of september 2006 to have a look on the biggest mess of that year. Flat Ring for real, what a shame

I hear " He will never come back. " "He hasnt touched his bike since jomopro 09"

wrong information ; Monaco could have watched him mid April 2009 during NinjaSpin, not a lot of smiles but he was still sooo sick, 3rd place (and 18 consecutive whoppers in the whopper contest), what a beast!!

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 03:32:18 AM »
Seems Justin has drive in anything he chooses to do.  Got to give the guy props for that! :beer:
"A puppet no more!"