Author Topic: Return of a stolen bike  (Read 2599 times)

Offline Mario Saldana

• Cliffhanger
Re: Return of a stolen bike
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
steal it back, dont tell your insurance, done!
IG: mas_xiii

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 08:31:16 AM »
Ask yourself, were you happy before you saw the bike recently? If you were then you have no need to find out. If it was bugging you your whole life and you desperately needed to know before you died, then maybe find out.
still learning

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »
I think the best way to answer that, nails, is "yes and no." Yes I was happy, but this is something that has also bothered me and been in the back of my mind for 16 years. And I do know it effects how I handle my property now and how I trust people. Tomorrow I will go riding with a total stranger that i just met. Will I take my eyes off my bike? Probably not, and that is a pretty $hitty way to treat someone.

BTW guys, Not really looking to find the ultimate answer on this. I know there isn't a "right" answer, but its an interesting discussion and bike theft is something that waaaaaaay too many of us have experienced. Ultimately only I can answer the original question for me, but I think it's good that all you guys are thinking about it too. That said all of you have given me things to think about. Keep the opinions, advise and thoughts going.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline Nails

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »
To be honest I think you're way too attached to it. Its a material object that you would have replaced eventually anyway, its found its way into someone elses hands (the way it may have got there may not be legit) but now someone else is riding it and enjoying our sport. You would have upgraded and stoped using it anyway, so in the end the result is the same You didnt stop riding did you? you still have A bike don't you?
still learning

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
I just remembered an instance where I had a chance of recovering a stolen bike.  I had a local bike shop call me one day and tell me that a guy had brought in what they thought was my bike...I went down to the shop and sure enough it was mine.  The shop gave me the customers name and number, so I called the guy.  He told me that he had bought it at a pawn shop, and that if I wanted it back, he would return it.  I believed him, and just told him to keep the bike.  We still ride together occasionally to this day(some 15 years later) and he has become a good friend.  

Not the same situation, but I'm just reminiscing about how things work out sometimes.  

Anywho, hope things work out for you.  It's never fun having crappy feelings about situations like this.  

Edit:  You know, it's a funny thing how "karma" works out.  When I was really young, I stole a bike...yes, I was young and dumb and deserved to be duct taped to a tree(I've since changed!)...but in the end, I have had 5 bikes stolen over the years.  Every time a bike of mine gets stolen, I can't help but laugh about my stupidity as a kid, and in some weird way I feel "cosmic justice" has been served.  Moral of my story:  In the end, sh*tty things happen to sh*tty people.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:02:08 PM by tod miller »
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 06:35:39 PM »
I think your probably right, nails, I am a bit attached to it because of unresolved things from my past. To be fair though, I don't think it's being ridden. It's in a "collection." Also not sore if "something I would have gotten rid of" is fair. Guess where it's twin is? Frame, fork, headset, gyro, post, wheels and sprocket all in storage. Guess I am working thorough some stuff. Working on getting my viewpoint shifted to the right one that you mentioned; its a material object and that is all.

Great story Todd! Wish my situation was like that. Had my fair share of good experiences like that too.

Had someone bring in a description and serial for a bike at the shop that was stolen. This kid was so upset. You could tell his dad brought him in to at least make him feel a little better. It was obvious the kid had been crying. Had a few descriptions like this on a board unfortunately. We never saw any of them. Then one day a bike comes in that some kid had just bought from another kid and it looks familiar. I check the serial and sure enough, it's the one. So I call the cops and do my best to assure the kid in the shop that I believe he is an inocent victim. He was pretty mad for being duped.

They "buyer" took the thief to court and got his money back. A kid that was apparently stealing every bike in the neighborhood was stopped and hopefully that kid learned something and turned his life around. I had seen the kid in the shop many times and it seemed like he was mostly a good kid that just needed a wake up call and to be pointed in the right direction. Never saw him again, but I would like to believe that is what happened to him.

I'm pretty sure mine is the polar opposite of your experience though. I believe this bike was stolen by someone I know and was done intentionally to be militious and hurtful and I guess that is what bothers me.

Wouldn't say your a sh*tty person though Tod. If you were you would be out stealing bikes still and knocking over old ladies. lol
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement