Author Topic: Federal V2 coaster slack issue  (Read 5173 times)

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
Federal V2 coaster slack issue
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
I'm dissapointed to post this...
My hub is less than two months old, I noticed an increase of slack the other day and kept riding; I ride at a lot of different spots so I'm not entirely sure where it even happened, but it seems that the slack adjustment mechanism worked itself loose and fell clean out of the hub. Is there a solution or replacement part for this?

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Federal V2 coaster slack issue
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
Mine seems to suddenly have gap at the worst possible times then it will simply go away until a few sessions then pop up again then go away....
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »
was thinking of removing those little stoppers with the ball at the top and putting some washers between them and the slack collar as a temporary fix...really gutted over this tho. are the original parts available anywhere?

Offline carld

• Backpacker
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 11:29:52 PM »
since you lost the allen bolt and maybe the piece that was inside with it, just use the normal geisha washers/shims.  they should fit.  I thought they did anyway?  

i didnt have the 14 mm easy-adjusting axle in my federal v2 long enough for the internal bolt to decide to fall out, but looking at it now.. it is real easy to turn in there..    (I went with the 3pc axle conversion right away)

threadlock the bolt if you can get a new one.
Sorry I don't kiss ass, or care to follow, or copy.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:22:09 AM »
I tried using slack washers today from a V1, but with those, the non-drive side bearing didn't seat 100%...

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 12:58:17 AM »
Jim, I know Empire had spare Federal parts when I was fixing my V1.  If they don't have it, Tina or Tom would probably know how to get it for you.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Tuftybmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 02:04:40 AM »
I thought that hub has KHE internals. Call Flatlandfuel.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:21:22 AM »
I feel for ya Jm. I would be furious after spending my hard earned cash on a hub that broke after 2 weeks. That was seriously a nice wheel.

My suggestion to you is purchase a replacement axle and transfer the little bits u need to your ACB axle. Maybe add a little loctite to the little buggers that came unscrewed???

Let us know how it works out.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
damn...these federal adapted versions really seem to be trippin........

on a note close to that i didn't want to post another federal topic so i'll ask here....does anyone know if the Geisha street internals will work in the federal V2 hub shell.............
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS

Offline cow

• Cliffhanger
  • neglect not the talents in thee............
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 09:54:33 PM »
ok guys i finally got the chance to try that switch over i spoke about earlier and all other bearings from geisha street and federal are interchangeable except the driver bearings which need to be switched out since the ones on the Astern internals have a smaller i.d than those of geisha street.
Whatever you want in life is gonna take some effort on your part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is, freestyle riding was, is, and will always be evolving and moving in different directions. So just do what you want and have fun with it. Trends come and go.- TYRONE WILLIAMS