Author Topic: Global T-Shirt Design Contest  (Read 39768 times)

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
Re: Global T-Shirt Design Contest
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2011, 02:20:38 AM »
Vector art is just easier to make a screen out of and have it look good and continue to look good between runs without having to do a lot of screen repair.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #166 on: April 12, 2011, 02:23:04 AM »
i undertand screen printing I just dont see why, unless stated there is a cost implication, everyone is submitting vectors.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »
I guess you could say it's playing it safe? I know I would rather fall on the safe side with shirts for me, so I guess there is that natural tendency. :beer:

Offline Guav

• guav.com
« Reply #168 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:17 AM »
i undertand screen printing I just dont see why, unless stated there is a cost implication, everyone is submitting vectors.

A great photo shirt starts with a great photo, and most people don't have those. I could make some great designs from some really wonderful photos I found on the internet, but I don't have the rights to use them.

Offline manu

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2011, 09:02:30 AM »
Hey chris good idea but why is it upside down?
When I do an upsidedown megaspin and look up everything still looks normal to me.
It's all moving fast yes but not upside down.
Nicely done nonetheless.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2011, 01:06:25 PM »
Hey chris good idea but why is it upside down?
When I do an upsidedown megaspin and look up everything still looks normal to me.
It's all moving fast yes but not upside down.
Nicely done nonetheless.

Just a bit different, I guess. No reason other that that. Plus I like using this area of the tee rather than the standard top layout across the breast. No other reason. Glad you liked it.

A great photo shirt starts with a great photo, and most people don't have those. I could make some great designs from some really wonderful photos I found on the internet, but I don't have the rights to use them.

There are a ton of free stock photo sites on the net who will give you stock photographs like the one I used under Creative Commons licence, meaning you can use it.

Or,

you can buy a stock photo from a premium site which then gives you the rights to use the photo for whatever you please. They only cost about 8 quid or so for a high res copy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:48:52 PM by EZChris »

Offline kchez

• Backpacker
    • Phenomenon Designs
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2011, 02:14:22 PM »
Digging the gyroscope design the most so far-maybe some more detail in the rider though. I'm getting what was being said about the rider being "inside" the arrow lines. Maybe give them a fading out look with a large halftone dot so as not to obscure the rider. It's a clean, easy to understand design that will be easy to print, which is important.

Vector or raster shouldn't make a difference from a screen printing standpoint, but what does is the use of "all over" or seam to seam prints, like what EZ Chris designed. You're getting into specialized production to do so (read-expense) Sticking to a standard print area will help make the shirts easier to produce. Vector is a preferred format when designing for t-shirts; usually limits production/quality issues when the designs are coming from people who aren't totally familiar with the process. If your using a raster based program, things like proper resolution, designing at the print size, no anti aliasing, etc all come into play.

And if you think vectors are lame or dated, here's something that's 100% vector-

I wish I had time to play around with this, but I'm slammed with work

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2011, 07:30:28 PM »
There are a ton of free stock photo sites on the net who will give you stock photographs like the one I used under Creative Commons licence, meaning you can use it.

Actually Creative Commons DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean you can use it. Everything is copyrighted by default with all rights reserved to the creator at the moment of creation. Creative Commons is an easy way for the creator to release certain rights. That doesn't mean all of the rights are released. You can only do with it what the license says you can.

For instance, you could release the use of an image as a whole but not a derivative work. In that case I could print the image, but I could not create a new image using a part of it or a modified version of it.

This is the very reason I NEVER put anything on Deviant Art. Most people think they can take anything they want there anyway, but at best people think "oh its Creative Commons! I can just take it and do what I want!" Nope, ya can't. Creative Commons is not the same as Open Source Software.

Now I need to go put my soap box away. lol

Offline Jason Rideout

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
hey jake you want to ride?
does where's waldo ride a fixie?

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:31 PM »
Who said anything about deviant art lol

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2011, 07:54:54 PM »
Who said anything about deviant art lol

Chris, I guess I should have said "Deviant Art and other sites." I just have a fiery hatred of Deviant Art because it is a pretty popular place to steal peoples stuff. For that reason I tend to use it as an example a lot. Wasn't suggesting that it had anything to do with you, bro.

Offline Guav

• guav.com
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
People think "oh its Creative Commons! I can just take it and do what I want!" Nope, ya can't. Creative Commons is not the same as Open Source Software.

Exactly what I was going to say. I think there are six different Creative Commons licenses, but only two of them allow for commercial use.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2011, 03:44:50 AM »
And if you think vectors are lame or dated, here's something that's 100% vector-

I used to have this first one in my portfolio, but had to pull it out because these days everybody assumes that it is LiveTraced and it is hard to convince them otherwise. I can assure you, it is not. You can tell when looking at the actual vector file. everything is heavily layered.

This second one looks plastic on purpose. It is a rendering of a model.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »
The stock sites im on about are Stock xchng etc, which DO allow creative commons for commerical, afaik.

granted some times you have to ask permission for use with certain items (Likes T's) but 99% of the time the artists who took the photo says yes.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:21:18 PM by EZChris »