Author Topic: Need help with an appraisal  (Read 4047 times)

Offline mksteez

• Forkglider
Need help with an appraisal
« on: March 13, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
Bought most of the parts brand new and only been used a few times. I will list the parts but plan on selling the bike as a whole.

Odyssey Frequency G K-Lyte Kevlar Tire 1.75"
Kool Stop Eagle Claw 2 Brake Pads Threaded
Odyssey Evo 2 Brake
Suelo Simple V3 frame Black 18.6"
Alienation Runaway Rim White (Rear)
DK Opsis Rim (Front)
Nankai Techno Lite Freecoaster  Black 36H
DK Opsis Pegs
Odyssey Flatware Chase Gouin 8"
KHE Half Link Hollowpin Chain
Odyssey Twisted Pedals
Macneil Pivotal Flatland Seat with a bad thing seat post
(parts listed above were all purchased new)

Parts were only used for a few times and never been used ever sinced. Been sitting in storage for about 6 months now. I wanna see how much i can get with it.

Bizhouse Stem
KHE Tanaka LT Fork
St Martin Holloflat 09 crank 160mm
(Parts listed above were bought used)

I think thats all. just ask me a question if im missing something

the cranks i have on the bike right now are st. martins.

Offline Tuftybmx

• Forkglider
Re: Need help with an appraisal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 05:31:42 AM »
Part it...  youve got lots of goodies...
I'd say that's your best bet.

Offline mksteez

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
I know but parting isnt my option. Id rather get rid of it as a complete.
I calculated how much ive spent and its about over $850+ without shipping on all the parts

Willing to let it go for $700 obo locally.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
Best rule of thumb is that anything used is only worth half of what you paid for it at best. Doesn't matter if you rode it for 5 months or 5 minutes, it's used and worth half. If it's beaten up, it's worth even less. Now collectable is a whole other subject, but stick with this rule and your being fair.

So count up what it all costed new and chop the total in half. If it's in really good shape (and it looks like it is) then you might be able to add more to the price, but that lowers your chance of selling it.

I agree though that parting it out is the smart move. It's a lot harder to sell a complete to one person. You might not sell every part, but your chances are better selling it In pieces to more than one person.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline radicalrick

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I have to agree.  You have to look at it from the buyers view.  If I can get that complete for 700 or invest 150 and get the whole bike new or even better, customize with my own new parts and spend less or around the same, I'm going for the new one.  It does hurt to lose so much money on any bike.  Especially one that is a nice ride and was built and maintained nicely.  But, I've seen soooo many kids put bikes on CL with the list of parts and how much they've spent on each one.  And those bikes sit for a long time.  Not saying it's fair.  But, it's how it goes usually.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
Yup, I also agree, 50% of retail for todays parts is fair pricing. Sometimes 60% if it is in excellent shape and you have to have a great rep too. The other situation is if it is a very high demand part that there were just not many made. Those few parts can sometimes go for more. Jake and Rick are on the right tract on this one. When you drive a car off a lot...
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.