Author Topic: Front brake mounts...what gives.  (Read 5749 times)

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
Front brake mounts...what gives.
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:29 PM »
So I'm sitting here putting new brake mounts on my Odyssey zero offset forks, and this has been a total pain in my rear.  I had to get new mounts(FF has a Tektro Brake Plate that is meant as a replacement for Odyssey fork mounts, FYI) because when I switched to my offset Flatware forks I needed the mounts.  Turns out they are different mounts all together.  Just getting the mounts off the Odyssey zero forks, I broke one off in the fork.  What a nightmare it was to get it out.  Now putting these new ones on the zero forks...I have managed to get them on, but with the assistance of VICE GRIPS.  I had a box end wrench and it got me pretty far, but the VICE GRIPS had to take me all the way home.  Now, I'll never manage to get the mounts off again, because they are rounded off.  BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE ON.  Good thing I need a crutch still. :P

I guess my question is, are all brake mounts this ridiculous to deal with?  If so, no wonder everyone rides brakeless these days!!!!  Also, what is the little blue crap(I'm figuring a teflon lining, to ironically get them on easier)?  I greased the hell out of the threads.  Maybe in my effort to get them off, I cross threaded the threads?  Why don't they make them easier to thread on...it's not like they are holding on a wheel, and shouldn't slip at all. 

Anywho, just wondering if all mounts are this ridiculous to get on.  I'm going out and doing Bar Endos all day today, to celebrate my victory over thread on mounts.   :beer:

As a side note.  It took me longer to set up front and rear brakes then it did to put the rest of my new ride together.  Took me 25 minutes to get the bike together from frame...several days(had to order parts) to put the brakes on.  Anyone ever time themselves to see how fast they can put a bike together, brakes and no brakes?  Just  curious. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
  • Is back...with a KFC bucket.
Re: Front brake mounts...what gives.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:57 AM »
That's funny mine also broke too
I also had to use a vice grip to get it off, and it wasn't easy either! I think they were ment to break lol
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline Tuftybmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 04:51:26 PM »
The blue stuff is Locktite.
How far did the mounts go in before it got to hard to turn with the wrench? 1/2, 3\4?

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
The blue stuff is Locktite.
How far did the mounts go in before it got to hard to turn with the wrench? 1/2, 3\4?

About 3/4 is when things got really hard.  The other problem was that the "nut" was so thin that the wrench hardly had any place to grip.  I can hardly imagine gettin the ones on that have no nut, and you use an allen wrench inside.  I can't see getting enough torque to turn the dang thing.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »
If memory serves correctly, there was a batch of Odyssey forks that had the mounts powdered on. You probably had those. See if ODyssey will hook you up..

Is their anything that odyssey do make which isn't a faulty batch?
Every review on odyssey products seem to say something about a faulty batch, yet they are apparently a great company, I suppose if it wasn't for warranty they would be crap.
Mechanic is easy, all you need is a hammer and a blowtorch....BURN MOTHERf*ck BURRN

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
If memory serves correctly, there was a batch of Odyssey forks that had the mounts powdered on. You probably had those. See if ODyssey will hook you up..

Is their anything that odyssey do make which isn't a faulty batch?
Every review on odyssey products seem to say something about a faulty batch, yet they are apparently a great company, I suppose if it wasn't for warranty they would be crap.
i've never had an Ody part break. not in the late 80's, and not for the last 2 years.
there were some broken Chase bars, if i remember right, but can remember any
other considerable problem.
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline Andrew Tarrant

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
Not dissing the company, but I brought a stem and it gets tight reaaaaaly quick,  I ended up having to drill the thing out, also the forks been a pain, and their gsports wheels are some nasty mo fo's to get tires on and off ^__^

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »
Not dissing the company, but I brought a stem and it gets tight reaaaaaly quick,  I ended up having to drill the thing out, also the forks been a pain, and their gsports wheels are some nasty mo fo's to get tires on and off ^__^
it's cool, man.  the flatware forks were a small pain to get the brakes fitted just right.
my front gsport hub, that i bought 2 years ago, still rolls forever.

the gsport ribcages are a headache to get tires on and off, but there are several little
tricks to make it easier.  i don't change tires as much as the 'spinners' on here.
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
Yep the blue stuff is locktite. Yep the breakmounts are all a pain to get on. The only smart ones I have seen are ones where an Allen bolt goes all the way through from the other side (and I can't remember who does that). On my cube frame I used the intended method of using the inside bolt to tighten them down, but I still needed vice grips to get the bolts back out. They came loose later anyway an I ended up tightening them down with just vice grips. To me, if I have to use vice grips, it's a poorly designed part.

Btw when it comes to locktite, blue is strong, red is stronger and superglue is strongest. Seems the only ones that know this are guys that used redline flights with the threaded bottom bracket bitd. ;)
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
Just got an interesting email from Dan's (You all probably go the same one.) Apparently Fly has some new brake mounting mechanism called "EBS" on their new frames. Looks to me like more mess to deal with.

Check it:
http://www.danscomp.com/showfullimage.php?type=products&group=FRAMESFSD&image=211430--1.gif

Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement