Author Topic: intergrated fork to standard fork  (Read 4501 times)

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
intergrated fork to standard fork
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »
1. take fork to machine shop to have them remove intergrated race.
make sure you leave the bottom lip of the race there so you have something for the new    race to sit flat on.

2. have them knurled the part you have removed.  I didn't have them do that so what I had to do to get the race to fit tight on the steertube is, I used strips of a pop can and put them inbetween the steer tube and race to fit tight. (screwdriver needed to push strips in tight) If none of this is done the race will not fit tight on the steertube and you will ruin your headset.

Note doing this to a odyssey fork will void warranty.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 12:07:14 AM by rawchild »
Hey Meg...check this out.

Offline paranoidmexican

Re: intergrated fork to standard fork
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:55:42 AM »
there's another way too, if you have a solid needle headset get two of the top races and put one over the integrated race.

http://www.bikeguide.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193283&highlight=solid+headset+integrated+forks

Confirmed. With slight modification, if you could even call it that.

................/ .........../Compression cap
Bearing cup / Bearing / Top Race
Bearing cup / Bearing / Lower Race

Throw the Lower Race out. You won't be needing that. You will however need a second Top Race.

Put the top race on the bottom. It has a perfect 45* chamfer that matches up with the forks integrated race.

Perfect fit! Its not a press fit, but it is self centering because of the chamfer and the compression of final assembly should hold it in place just fine.

The cup even clears the butting on my director without modification!

So there you go. A Solid headset works pretty easily on an a fork with an integrated race. All you need is a second top race. You could also run the lower race on the top, ditch the solid compression cap and use a standard style wedge and dust cover if you wanted to.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

paranoidmexican have you tried that? Did it work for you?
this post on the bottom of that page scared me so I didn't try that.
EDIT:
Tried it out on some Fly Tierra forks. The race mod fits on cool, but when everything is up tight the headset cups rub on the steerer tube, so no dice there.

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:30:28 PM »

paranoidmexican have you tried that? Did it work for you?
this post on the bottom of that page scared me so I didn't try that.
EDIT:
Tried it out on some Fly Tierra forks. The race mod fits on cool, but when everything is up tight the headset cups rub on the steerer tube, so no dice there.

I like Bikeguild.com I read it often and they have some pretty smart guys over there, but does this sentence even make sense?
"The race mod fits on cool, but when everything is up tight the headset cups rub on the steerer tube, so no dice there. "
How can the headset cups be rubbing on the steertube? Aren't 1 1/8" steertubes, 1 1/8 OD? Aren't cups a little bigger than this?
If it snugs up fine and does not have any side to side play than they should not be rubbing together. This guy may have had another problem. I've never tried this, I would hate to have to machine a fork like you did though, lol, and am just thinking about it. Seems possible to me. You could even do just what you did with the pop cans and snug up the upper race making a "press fit".
Just some thoughts though. I have not even touched a Solid HS in many years, just remembering them being SOLID, different and this was before integrated...
Just out of curiosity, do you love that SC that much or do you have other reasons for doing this?
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline rawchild

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:25:04 PM »
 I just question that method. Don't see the finished fork on a bike. If it works great, I didn't want to spend a extra 50 dollars on a headset then it not working.
  It didn't cost me anything to get it machined down. Gave him some money anyways.  Been running the fork that I had machined for a little over a month and havn't had any problems.  Was pretty nervous watching him mill it down because of how much the fork cost!
The fork is awesome Im able to run dual cables through it without removing the top cap along with other nice features on that fork.
 The bike itself has sentimental value, its the one I have been riding lately.

Offline SERGI8

• Backpacker
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
both are very stupid solutions if you ask me..

Just go to a machine shop and get an spacer shaped like a head angle slaker in the bottom and like the race you need for an standard head set in the top.
or get a head angle slaker for integrated race and machine out the top race...

Yes, you will change like 0.3 or 0.5 the head tube angle but this is better than ruin a fork..