Author Topic: When do you consider trick learned?  (Read 7503 times)

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
When do you consider trick learned?
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
Hello guys!

When I was riding today, I was thinking... When do you feel like you learned the trick? When you manage to do it for 1st time? When you do it 10 times in a row without failing? When your average percentage (we all count how many tricks we've done in our lifetime, right? Right?) is over 50%? Or never?

I am still beginner, so there are no no-hand no-leg no-brakes closed-eyes time machines involved, but when I managed to finish a nice tailwhip 5 times in a row today, I felt like "Wow, now I've got it". Cyclone is waiting right next :D

What about you?

Offline Callum

Re: When do you consider trick learned?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:56:41 PM »
I would have to say that I've only had my bike for two months now but I haven't fully 'learned a single trick' I've managed to do some different tricks but not all of the time. I wouldn't consider that learnt as the majority of the time I haven't been able to do them. Sometimes I go out and session and nail the trick quite a few times but then other times I go and I can't even do it once..

Although when I do nail the trick I get so happy and they keep coming. You just feel so much weight has been lifted and it makes you want to keep landing that trick so you keep pushing yourself and learning the balancing spots..

.. In my opinion I wouldn't really say the trick has been learnt until I feel comfortable and have been landing the trick for quite a while.. I would say it's been learnt when I go out and nail the trick a few times in the session and then the next few sessions I can nail the trick again and again and again. I would then say the trick has been learnt but there will always be room for improvement no matter how much you think it has been 'learnt'

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
Wise opinion! And since you are new, good luck in flatland, hope it'll catch you! :)

Offline Callum

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
Wise opinion! And since you are new, good luck in flatland, hope it'll catch you! :)

You too! I'm just hoping I will be able to progress way more during the summer months than the winter haha. (I hate riding in a small garage due to snow, rain and cold weather) But the main thing is, we're all riding and having fun while doing it!

Keep on riding man. :ph34r:

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »
You're lucky to have a garage. I'm simply not riding in winter at all. It's still snowy here, but I had 3 seasons in last 3 days, since it's shiny, and I'm well :)

Cheers, you too :)

Offline Theory

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:24 PM »
For me personally, learning a trick involves getting into the trick, doing the trick, and riding out of said tricks. I know that once I've done that, it's only a matter of time to make it consistent if that is my intent with that trick. Sometime I am happy hitting it once and moving on.

There are many tricks I can roll that I don't consider "learned" because I cannot get in or out of them. Yet.

Lee

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 08:12:10 PM »
when I can pull it drunk.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »
LOL

i was drunk once and i couldn't walk straight, i got on my bike and did a perfect straight line hang 5 until i stopped

Offline MokiCzech

• Backpacker
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 08:23:15 PM »
i was drunk once and i couldn't walk straight, i got on my bike and did a perfect straight line hang 5 until i stopped
Due wall in your face.

Zing!

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:19 PM »
I believe a trick is learned when you can do it consistently enough that you don't even think about it as you're doing it.
Link For Example:  Hang 5 – Double footed Steam-spinning Half Hiker.

Right now I’m not consistent on the ride out on the spinning Half hiker.
When setting up the trick the Hang 5 & Double footed Steam is on lock going into the spinning Half hiker, at this point those 2 first tricks are learned & mastered.

What helps me lock in and learn a particular trick is to look beyond the trick itself. I concentrate so hard on getting into another trick from it that before I know the original trick I was trying to learn has been mastered.

Hope this makes sense…long day.

Lee

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »
LOL

drunken pinky squeaks aren't a good idea.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
I've learned it when I can do it in the middle of a combo.

Lee

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 12:12:18 AM »
I have officially learned a trick when I can pull it at speed, finished off with a pedal stomp and vigorous fist pumping aimed at any witnesses.  This may or may not include several "woo!"'s.

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 12:34:19 AM »
LOL

try fast speed mc circles.

Lee

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:50 AM »
LOL

try fast speed mc circles.

mc vomit.