Author Topic: Redbull Battle at the Bricks  (Read 26517 times)

Offline Theory

• Cliffhanger
Re: Redbull Battle at the Bricks
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
Speaking of progression, when was the last time a North American am turned pro? Simply just a question and not a debate who needs to move up.

Justin Miller I think. Pro is a COMPLETELY different animal and nobody wants to be bumped up to get last place. It's really a hard decision to make and you have to have a sh*tload of time to get and stay dialed to ride against people who make it their living to whip your ass.

Agreed. It was a question that popped up during a phone conversation earlier today and neither one of us couldn't remember the last rider to move up. The pro class will continue to dwindle down if its taking over five years for a rider to move up.

Topic at hand. I feel the need for vet class if it promotes greater contest participation.

~jm

The Flat Panama Results from November showed Percy Marshall as 2nd in Pro. So it looks like maybe he made the jump up to pro.

He also won best trick there.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:46:56 PM by Theory »

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »

Agreed. It was a question that popped up during a phone conversation earlier today and neither one of us couldn't remember the last rider to move up. The pro class will continue to dwindle down if its taking over five years for a rider to move up.

Topic at hand. I feel the need for vet class if it promotes greater contest participation.

~jm

The last person in Europe that did it was Matthias. Riders capable of riding pro only come around once in a blue moon. If I hadn't had every single dumb f*cking thing that could possibly go wrong with my body in the last few years, and didn't ride at the roughest spot on earth, I'd give it a go. Ain't gonna happen though unless I find the fountain of youth in a plaza made of perfect marble to ride on in front of it.

I know where you're coming from with the rough surface. I rode at one of the roughest placest around for years and I felt it held me back at contest. It'd take the entire prejam to get used to a smooth surface. I'd just keep over compensating for the grippiness, that wasn't there. If that makes any sense. Right before Voodoo '07, where I got 2nd, I had started riding at this indoor spot where I worked, and was ready for the Voodoo floor. Made a world of difference. I think sometimes if I could've have maintained that spot I might be in Master by now. Just sayin. Lee/Huck

Offline AlanYoung

• Funky Chicken
  • No chance if you dont take one.
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
Here are a few hotels that I've been informed thatare close to the Speedway but are not priced outrageously high. These are all hotels right next to each other and on the main highway to the Speedway. Its only 5 miles away, which is super close, but will be cheaper than staying to closer hotels. Remember to use discount coupons, bunk up together, AAA rewards or whatever is available.

Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport (last years host hotel) http://www.radisson.com/indianapolis-hotel-in-46241/inindair

Ramada Hotel Indianapolis Airport
http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=17666

Crown Plaza Hotel Indianapolis Airport
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/indap

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Dub, from Montreal, Canada turned pro and has done extremely well (making finals at every contest he entered I think).  At Jomopro he battled against Viki Gomez and lost in a 3-2 vote.  Viki was the World Circuit champion that year and Dub gave him a run for his money.

Along with JF who is currently in China.

And there are a few riders I won't mention who are getting closer, but just aren't quite there yet.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:25:24 PM by Pralex »

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
The definition of the Vet class is 30+ NON-Expert lever. That means if you are someone like Huck, Huffman, Big Daddy, etc..there is no way you can enter Vet even if you are over 30. Your skill level dictates you ride Expert, Master or Pro. Think of it as 30+ intermediate level. Like I said before, there are many riders in this age group who have the money to travel to contests but dont because their skill (for whatever reason) doesnt allow them to ride at expert or above yet they feel out of place with the much younger riders in beginner/intermediate. Give them their own class and they will come out for it. Its been an experiment at Jomopro and the DK contest and went well. If it was part of the Am Circuit it would really take off.

Its been well proven in other sports and really has no downsides. I am not pushing Battle at the Bricks to include it but merely discussing this in general because that is the direction this thread has gone.

I think Vet class would be perfect for a guy like me.  Over 30, who would have his ass handed to him in expert, but has no buisness in a beginner class.

Works well at Texas Flatland Roundup...
"A puppet no more!"

Offline black aspirin

• Backpacker
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2011, 04:46:47 AM »
I think Vet class would be perfect for a guy like me.  Over 30, who would have his ass handed to him in expert, but has no buisness in a beginner class.

Exactly how I feel.  I don't have much of anything in the way of 'links', but I can do a deathtruck (actually, I don't ride out of them very often), or a cliffhanger, or a backward hitchhiker, or a hang nothing to pedal hang-5.

If I wanted to go back to the old repertoire, there are a TON of things I could do.  I could still do a fire hydrant to funky chicken to funky chicken-whips to a spinning front yard, but who cares?  Locomotive, backyard, rope-a-roni, karl kruzer, puppet, stick-b.  Pedal-picker.  Fire hydrant to side squeaker.  I could put on a rear brake and do fire hydrant to decade, or backward wheelie to decade, or maybe a double-decade 25% of the time...but who cares?

Just saying, I relate to that post.  If it's a contest format, I would rather spend my time showing the newer stuff I've learned, even if it's straight-line single tricks, as opposed to combos that I could do 20 years ago.  There's nothing wrong with that either if it's fun, I suppose.

Offline AlanYoung

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:46 AM »
Here are a few hotels that I've been informed thatare close to the Speedway but are not priced outrageously high. These are all hotels right next to each other and on the main highway to the Speedway. Its only 5 miles away, which is super close, but will be cheaper than staying to closer hotels. Remember to use discount coupons, bunk up together, AAA rewards or whatever is available.

Radisson Hotel Indianapolis Airport (last years host hotel) http://www.radisson.com/indianapolis-hotel-in-46241/inindair

Crown Plaza Hotel Indianapolis Airport
http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/indap

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »

Exactly how I feel.  I don't have much of anything in the way of 'links', but I can do a deathtruck (actually, I don't ride out of them very often), or a cliffhanger, or a backward hitchhiker, or a hang nothing to pedal hang-5.

If I wanted to go back to the old repertoire, there are a TON of things I could do.  I could still do a fire hydrant to funky chicken to funky chicken-whips to a spinning front yard, but who cares?  Locomotive, backyard, rope-a-roni, karl kruzer, puppet, stick-b.  Pedal-picker.  Fire hydrant to side squeaker.  I could put on a rear brake and do fire hydrant to decade, or backward wheelie to decade, or maybe a double-decade 25% of the time...but who cares?

Just saying, I relate to that post.  If it's a contest format, I would rather spend my time showing the newer stuff I've learned, even if it's straight-line single tricks, as opposed to combos that I could do 20 years ago.  There's nothing wrong with that either if it's fun, I suppose.

For what it's worth I'd rather see a puppet or fat locomotive then another cliffhanger for example.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline That Joe Miller

• Cliffhanger
    • Unknown Sports
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »

For what it's worth I'd rather see a puppet or fat locomotive then another cliffhanger for example.

And I would rather see your scuffing cherry-picker than a x-hand steamroller, guess everyone is different
That Joe miller

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
I wish I could still do that trick - but its almost impossible with the frame designs these days
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline AlanYoung

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
Host hotel is the Radisson from last years event. The rate is $125 until April 26th!!! The hotel is has been refurbished and we will be the first ones in the new rooms. Make sure to call and ask for the BMX BLOCK asap.

Offline Adam DiClaudio/Austin Flat Crew

• Hitchhiker
  • setup, switch, setup, switch, 3.14, 3.14...
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »
I stepped up to pro, got my ass kicked a few times, then thankfully the Master class came around. (and I hardly kept up with them either). I will stay in Master pushing towards pro until I feel like I'm at a point where the pro class actually fits my riding level. My point is, I understand that a Veteran class is great for people who want to ride with other riders at they're own level. There is a fine line of where a rider who is doing "old School tricks in a league of its own" and "old school tricks being done at a beginner" level clash. So regardless of age, if a contest does not have a veteran class, and you still want to compete, try to fit your level in as best as possible in beginner or Am classes. I'm sure veteran class will become the standard as did Master class at upcoming contests because I do believe there are enough Vets out there to consistently enter. Besides all that, this contest should be a lot of fun and I hope to see everyone including vets out there!
Adam D Yall!

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2011, 02:36:24 AM »
I stepped up to pro, got my ass kicked a few times, then thankfully the Master class came around. (and I hardly kept up with them either). I will stay in Master pushing towards pro until I feel like I'm at a point where the pro class actually fits my riding level. My point is, I understand that a Veteran class is great for people who want to ride with other riders at they're own level. There is a fine line of where a rider who is doing "old School tricks in a league of its own" and "old school tricks being done at a beginner" level clash. So regardless of age, if a contest does not have a veteran class, and you still want to compete, try to fit your level in as best as possible in beginner or Am classes. I'm sure veteran class will become the standard as did Master class at upcoming contests because I do believe there are enough Vets out there to consistently enter. Besides all that, this contest should be a lot of fun and I hope to see everyone including vets out there!

Nicely put.

Offline Wouter van der Linde

• GF Inhabitant
    • Dutchflatland
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2011, 02:32:52 PM »
I heard Dez Maarsen is going to this contest, but which pro is going too?
Haven't heard many going?

Offline Pralex

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »
I've heard that Dom, and possibly the rest of the Deep team, might be coming out.

I'm excited.