Author Topic: Redbull Battle at the Bricks  (Read 26500 times)

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
Re: Redbull Battle at the Bricks
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
I personally have mixed feelings about the Vet class. There are very valid arguments on both sides of the question. It's worth noting tho, that more and more riders are falling into that class, and by having it, they remain a part of the contest community, bringing money and support. But, like I said, there's a flip side that I could also easily argue, just as valid. I'd like to see the riders who still want to compete, compete; weather that means riding in a class they may do poorly in, or by creating a new class for their peers.

I'm posting here because as a rider that is old enough to be in this class now, I'm curious what the decision is.

+1 Jim. Valid points.

Offline PSchoolen

• Company
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »
Many other sports have a vet or senior class to cater to people that fit that category. Almost always those classes see the highest participation rates. So why not have the same thing in flatland? What is wrong with bringing more riders to more events? It also creates better sponsorship opportunities and better purses for the pros. Everyone wins.
Patrick Schoolen
www.flatlandfuel.com

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
Many other sports have a vet or senior class to cater to people that fit that category. Almost always those classes see the highest participation rates. So why not have the same thing in flatland? What is wrong with bringing more riders to more events? It also creates better sponsorship opportunities and better purses for the pros. Everyone wins.

+1. Well put Mr. Schoolen.

Offline AlanYoung

• Funky Chicken
  • No chance if you dont take one.
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »
You can't please everyone, but try. That's all I'm saying. Lee/Huck

We try to cater to everyones wishes, but that is just not possible at this time. There was been many events that have not had a Vet or Legends class in the past and will in the future. Im not sure why it has become an issue all of the sudden. Contests ranging from tennis, racing, flatland, baseball and even cornhole all have one thing in common....competition. There have been times when i placed higher than a better rider and all because i had a cleaner run...(2009 Voodoo Jam i placed 2 spots higher than Huck when in the previous year Huck took 2nd over Isaiah and Huffman)

All said, we can't all be the BIG fish in the SMALL pond.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:54:55 AM by Battle_at_the_Bricks »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »
I think a vet class should always be considered, but not if less than 10 vets are pre-registered with their registration paid in full over the web.

I do not recall ever having the problem of descriminating between classes in the days of Metro Jam and La Revolution. We used to have an am class 50 riders deep too.

I guess the way I look at it is, if you're a vet, you should be better than most of the guys out on the floor anyway.

Offline black aspirin

• Backpacker
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »

I guess the way I look at it is, if you're a vet, you should be better than most of the guys out on the floor anyway.

Ouch.  I rode from '84 t '89, and then from 2000 to 2004.  I just started riding again less than 6 months ago.  I would hate to be judged against a veteran that's been riding from '84 straight through until now.

Oh well.  Not that contests are any big deal to me; I plan on competing at JoMoPro, but it's all in fun at this point. 

Offline AlanYoung

• Funky Chicken
  • No chance if you dont take one.
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »
Black aspirin - You may be best fitted for expert then or possibly beginner. It really depends on your tricks and your riding style (i.e. pumping would most likely beat side squeak and funky chicken scuffing tricks.)

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 10:19:27 AM »
You can't please everyone, but try. That's all I'm saying. Lee/Huck

.....from tennis, racing, flatland, baseball and even cornhole all have one thing in common....competition.

All said, we can't all be the BIG fish in the SMALL pond.

Cornhole? Really? What the hell is cornhole? When is everybody gonna eventually come to the understanding that we as flatlanders have to stop comparing flatland to other 'Real' sports? Yes flatland is a competition. But by no means should it be compared to baseball. For whatever reason. Flatland has no guidelines, and has never been structured well enough to even have a basis to compare to any other sport. So once every event organizer and/or rider comes to terms with the fact that we are 'ALL' small fish in a big pond, with very little significance, to the real world of sports, we'll then just make it all about getting together and showcasing our skills and having fun. (What a run-on, lol.) Face it Alan, you are doing a great thing by holding this family reunion, but just keep it flatland friendly. There have been events way larger than your's that never got the notariety it deserved, or for that matter commanded. I.E. VOODOO JAM, JOMOPRO, ELEVATION SERIES, ETC....... Anyways I hope I'm not making enemies here in any way. I just think it needs to either be kept simple (Beginner, Expert, and Pro) or made sensibly (Vet, Beginner, Expert, Master, and Pro). Either way I have always supported flatland in any way I can. And I know I made the comment I wasn't coming but I know I probably will. Lee/Huck

Offline SurfonFlatland

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2011, 04:23:30 PM »

Ok, Tyler you're just coming off as an idiot now. Contest are supposed to be fun. If they weren't no one would go. I can't believe how stupid you're coming off for someone so intelligent. This is an easy fix. Just add a Vet class and call it good. It doesn't eat up that much time, anyways. Tyler you wouldn't, and haven't, ever talked to me like this in the past. And I too haven't ever disrespected you. I made what I thouight was a good, valid point. And asked to not be attacked. And you did just that. Danny had pulled all his posts so I didn't get a chance to see everything. So ease up bro. Lee/Huck

If you could remind me of where I disrespected you, that would be great. 

Cornhole? Really? What the hell is cornhole? When is everybody gonna eventually come to the understanding that we as flatlanders have to stop comparing flatland to other 'Real' sports? Yes flatland is a competition. But by no means should it be compared to baseball. For whatever reason. Flatland has no guidelines, and has never been structured well enough to even have a basis to compare to any other sport. So once every event organizer and/or rider comes to terms with the fact that we are 'ALL' small fish in a big pond, with very little significance, to the real world of sports, we'll then just make it all about getting together and showcasing our skills and having fun. (What a run-on, lol.) Face it Alan, you are doing a great thing by holding this family reunion, but just keep it flatland friendly.

Interesting point.  I suppose that park, dirt, and street bmx, skateboarding, surfing, snowboarding, etc., etc., have no significance in the "real world" of sports because none of these have enough structure to be considered a real sport, correct? 

Since when has a contest been about showcasing skills and having fun?  That is what a jam is. 
Were the actual contest aspects (i.e. the timed runs) of JomoPro, Voodoo Jam, the Masters, KOG, etc, about "getting together and showcasing our skills and having fun?"  No, they weren't, at all. 
Unless it's at a jam or in Texas, I've yet to hear of a serious contest with that as it's main objective.  You want to get together and showcase your skills and have fun, attend the pre-jam.

So Vet class is for riders 30+?  I'm sorry, but a vet rider is a rider like Marcos Palo de Jesus, or Martti Kouppa, who has been in the game for 20+ years; not a rider straddling the fence between beginner and expert because they've slacked off in their riding.  If I recall, I believe it is Luke Malone who has a wife, kids, and a full time job, yet still manages to progress quite a bit, and ride with everyone else without wanting a vet class.  What are you going to do, Huck, when some of the older pros who aren't keeping up with today's top pros start riding in the vet class?  Will it still be about fun when there is some serious competition you're up against?  Or will there be a new cry for divisions in the Vet class (i.e. Beginner vet, intermediate vet, pro vet, etc.)?
The following is the truth.  The preceeding is a lie.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
Black aspirin - You may be best fitted for expert then or possibly beginner. It really depends on your tricks and your riding style (i.e. pumping would most likely beat side squeak and funky chicken scuffing tricks.)

If someone pulls sidesqueak and funky links clean, they'll beat out pumping steamrollers any day of the week.

That's something the vets need to understand. Hard tricks are hard tricks no matter how modern or not they actually are.

I agree with Tyler though, it's a contest not a show. The sport needs competition and friendly rivalry. Putting guys in their own class because they want a shot at a prize package and won't put in the time to learning really seems counter intuitive to me.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:48 PM »
I'm not really sure I see the purpose of a vet class... just jump in where your skills will hang regardless of your age? I'd think that it'd make for a good variety in styles in the am classes. Whether your tricks are "modern" enough or not isn't something to be afraid of. Personally, I like the challenge of seeing if I still have something to offer against younger or "newer school" riders in a contest... motivates me to try harder.

Offline stvnlpsly

• GF Inhabitant
  • Quest BMX
    • Quest BMX
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2011, 08:47:21 PM »
I'm always available for discussion if you have comments for me.  So for the Danny's and Lee' and Tyler's.... hit me up via email or phone.  I'd love to talk.  It's much more professional and mature to speak directly to me.  ;) 

Steve@amflatlandcircuit.com
1(716)812-1762

If not, continue assuming here at Global-Flat.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:53:44 PM by SteveLaps »

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 10:12:34 PM »
I see I'm fighting a losing battle. Maybe there just needs to be some brutal honesty implemented. I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a minute and just say that event organizer's should start stepping on toes and telling riders what class to enter. I guess! Or better yet, why don't they call it Old Schoolers Class? Not Vet! That would be for guys who just do old school tricks, where a hang five or hitchhiker attempt is their hardest trick. I'm just grasping at straws here to help out those guys who haven't progressed for one reason or another. Regardless of the reason. I know guys who just like doing old school tricks. Beginner would be riders who are fairly new (Chasing guys like me) or old schoolers making the move up the ranks. Experts are obviously guys like me who can't ride enough to get to Master but can do a couple of new school moves combined with some old school. And probably won't progress! Master is pretty self explanatory as with Pro. It's a losing battle to always try to please everyone but to compare flatland to any other sport is bad. We are part of probably the most subjective activity on the planet. You can't compare flatland to street/park, skateboarding or much less surfing. And Tyler I don't know what plane you're living on but flatland started out as fun when I got in the game 25 years ago, and it's been considered fun to everyone I've met at every contest I've gone to since. You and a very few other guys I've met over the last few years seem to take it to serious. I mean really over thinking it. I've seen you get so worked up at the pre-jam about how you was riding that I thought you was gonna have an anxiety attack. That's not what flatland should be about. That competitive nature you keep talking about is in all of us to a certain degree but I don't think it comes off that way during the competition. We always pump each other up to pull our stuff. Am I wrong? I've never heard some other rider say, 'Man I wished that guy'd bust his ass'! I think we all know we are part of a very elite sport that could be gone tomorrow and only us riders would even notice. I'm sorry if this not what alot of you want to hear, but I've watch flatland roller coaster for 20+ years. Let's all agree to disagree without bad mouthing and just support our sport, make room for everyone and enjoy what we have before it's gone. And have 'FUN'! Thanks for reading. Lee/Huck

Offline HUCK

• Company
  • Cliffhanger
    • www.huckindustries.com
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:25 PM »
And Tyler, you keep referencing 30+ yr olders as Vets, but dude that doesn't constitute a Vet! I know guys in their 20's who just do old school tricks. So ease up with the over 30 yr old thing. I'm 38 this year and if I really wanted to push the envelope with my medical conditions I could/ and would, keep up with you. I just choose to stay where I am with my riding and be content I can still ride in Expert. Lee/Huck

Offline BmxXriderX06

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:53 PM »
We is this such a big argument on here?
The event organizers for this event already said what the classes where and why.
Therefor it should of stopped after they explained why.
I don't think this is the right forum to be talking about what classes people should be in and why?
It should be about who is attending or anyone who found good hotel deals to help out fellow flatlanders.
really why is everything and argument?
Come hang out if thats what you like to do.
come out and compete if thats what you think its all about.
Come out and HAVE SOME FUN!