Author Topic: Matthias Dandois wins Circle Cow 2011  (Read 23737 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: Matthias Dandois wins Circle Cow 2011
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »
And they want to know why there is no more Voodoo Jam.

Judging lately has been the worst I've ever seen it, and people ask me why I don't really enjoy going to contests or competing. Sorry, but Joris was the wrong call period, and that other battle seems fishy as well.

We can give all the blind props we want to organizers and sponsors, but we really do need to set some standards for what is tolerable when it comes to judging. Floor, venue, music, redbull girls or not whatever people can adapt. When you pick shill judges with bias and agendas everything else means little to nothing.

So yeah, props for putting on a contest, but pick better judges.

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2011, 12:43:50 AM »
And they want to know why there is no more Voodoo Jam.

Judging lately has been the worst I've ever seen it, and people ask me why I don't really enjoy going to contests or competing. Sorry, but Joris was the wrong call period, and that other battle seems fishy as well.

We can give all the blind props we want to organizers and sponsors, but we really do need to set some standards for what is tolerable when it comes to judging. Floor, venue, music, redbull girls or not whatever people can adapt. When you pick shill judges with bias and agendas everything else means little to nothing.

So yeah, props for putting on a contest, but pick better judges.

There is no doubt you have to pick the best judges possible. And knowing Pascal like I do, I am sure he did what he thought was best. Picking judges is not easy especially when you have them do it for free or very little. Not many people want to do it either.
 It was my number one focus for Voodoo besides the floor, but at times I was not 100% confident in certain judges but I knew it was my only choice.

Until there is a lot of money involved in contest and a forum for perfect organization of events you will always have this problem. I would love to be a professional judge but not one contest can afford to pay me or send me to the contest.

So I can agree maybe a judge does drop the ball and next year Pascal will make an improvement. I am sure he will. It sucks when you put your hard effort into something and the judgment does not come out correct or its too close to call. For both parties organizer and rider.

If you want the perfectly judged contest at this moment in time then tape it and enter it in an online forum. For what thats worth hope your the champ! I would rather get robbed and have a great weekend hanging out with Flatlanders the way we use to do it!

By the way I never even watched the videos but I just feel the pain of this entire situation and I get sick of the whole thing.

www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:20 AM »
I think it would be a really good idea to make it absolutely clear as to what the judging criteria is for any contest. Maybe the organizers could actually post a large billboard showing the order and weight of certain aspects such as difficulty, originality, etc. This way, riders would know exactly how they should ride in order to get the best placement possible.

Also, I find it important to say that all judges of a pro level contest should be at least near pro level -- plain and simple. I don't know who the judges were for this contest, but I've seen too many where the judges were hardly expert level and the results were terribly flawed.

Offline Scott O

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2011, 04:27:16 AM »
I think it would be a really good idea to make it absolutely clear as to what the judging criteria is for any contest. Maybe the organizers could actually post a large billboard showing the order and weight of certain aspects such as difficulty, originality, etc. This way, riders would know exactly how they should ride in order to get the best placement possible.

Also, I find it important to say that all judges of a pro level contest should be at least near pro level -- plain and simple. I don't know who the judges were for this contest, but I've seen too many where the judges were hardly expert level and the results were terribly flawed.

Sounds great, BUT its so hard to find the judges. There are not enough people willing and able to attend a contest.
www.voodoojam.com
twitter @emceeob

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:28 AM »
Sounds great, BUT its so hard to find the judges. There are not enough people willing and able to attend a contest.

You were never guilty of this at all Scott, in fact you were one of the best organizers to work under, but I have been to other contests where certain individuals tasked with the responsibility of organizing contests would much rather pro-ho it up with the big names and big sponsors rather than tend to their own comp. Working for these kinds of people makes it impossible and it's part of the reason there are some contests I just will not go to as long as those people are involved. So it's a double edged sword. If you're going to put on a contest, you have to be willing to be flexible and firm at the same time. You have to have standards and expectations, but plan for the unexpected at the same time.

Judges are part of that equation, and so far the best event for judging I've attended was the first flat comp at Jomopro that Pat was running. The expectations were VERY clear, and I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who was displeased with the results. If i had the opportunity to go back and judge that contest again I would be there in a heartbeat, my health permitting. Last year I was down and out and was unable to make it due to my body breaking down in all sorts of not fun ways.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
This might be a long read, but here is a write up I did about a year ago concerning the aftermath of the Jomopro situation. It breaks down how I approach judging so if anyone is wondering why I or others picked Adam over Joris this explains it in more detail.

http://www.global-flat.com/smf/index.php?topic=36068.0

Offline Flatism®

• GF Inhabitant
    • Flatism
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2011, 06:56:05 PM »
jpoliti and seppl please don't go.
Flat-ism

Offline yannick chauvel

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »
in french. Merci Pascal pour ton énorme travail d'organisation au circle cow. Pour tous les riders d'europe, c'est un incontournable.
Ceux qui critiquent, c'est en général ceux qui ne font pas.
Heureusement que j'organise l'astrolabe la tete dans le guidon car il y' a certains commantaires
qui font peur.
Circle cow, flatland contest by flatlanders for flatlanders.

PS, ceux qui veulent venir à l'astolabe pour critiquer peuvent rester chez eux,
ON a tous la meme passion merde.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2011, 03:18:58 AM »
in french. Merci Pascal pour ton énorme travail d'organisation au circle cow. Pour tous les riders d'europe, c'est un incontournable.
Ceux qui critiquent, c'est en général ceux qui ne font pas.
Heureusement que j'organise l'astrolabe la tete dans le guidon car il y' a certains commantaires
qui font peur.
Circle cow, flatland contest by flatlanders for flatlanders.

PS, ceux qui veulent venir à l'astolabe pour critiquer peuvent rester chez eux,
ON a tous la meme passion merde.
care to translate    j'non parley francais. :rolleyes:
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:31 PM »

A other good edit, by Valentin Flad, good job !!  :beer:

Circle Cow 12-Servon