Author Topic: Matthias Dandois wins Circle Cow 2011  (Read 23922 times)

Offline Burd

• Cliffhanger
Re: Matthias Dandois wins Circle Cow 2011
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
Pascal,
Thanks for putting up the energy, time and personal investment to keep on promoting flatland through contests, not everyone is doing this for flatland.

+1.  It's always great to see the footage that comes out of CC in the depths of the hell that is February when there's not much else going on.  Hopefully it continues...

Offline memyself

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2011, 07:10:58 PM »
So you think that originality means nothing and Joris should be proud of himself to win this battle with Raphael Chiquet's trick? Flatland is basically a creative sport, isn't it? Then why don't you respect if somebody tries to invent tricks and do their own, not copy another rider? I think Adam had one problem. He didn't get another chance against Joris, while Thomas got against Adam.

I suppose Adam did a lot for flatland since he is pro. He and Matthias keep this sport alive, which is unfortunately less popular nowadays as in the past. They try to give motivation by inventing new tricks, go for every contest where they can go and do many videos for you guys!

Last but not least I wanna say a big thank to Pascal to organize this contest without any sponsor, just because he loves flatland!

Peace

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »
Adam won that battle hands down.

Difficulty they are about on par, but Adam had a hell of a lot more variety and originality. Joris also touched more. I don't know how you could judge it any other way unless you had some kind of bias.

Offline fit.

• Hitchhiker
    • http://petr.vaverka.net
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2011, 09:54:40 PM »
i would vote for adam

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »
While he didn't ride his best in this battle...I would have given Adam the win.  He did a wider variety and had more of his own original tricks.
Joris had a very limited run in this battle same couple tricks in all the combos.  Difficult and stylish.  But not enough variety.

Brian

Offline VojTECH

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
Joris pulled 2 combos, so did Adam.

Joris's combos are built around only 3 - 4 concepts and he only did backwheel stuff.

On the other hand, Adam rode on both front and rear wheel with tricks incorporating many different concepts.

I'd personally have voted for Adam in this battle.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2011, 11:14:24 PM »
Joris pulled 2 combos, so did Adam.

Joris's combos are built around only 3 - 4 concepts and he only did backwheel stuff.

On the other hand, Adam rode on both front and rear wheel with tricks incorporating many different concepts.

I'd personally have voted for Adam in this battle.

Joris, unless I'm mistaken, also touched more.

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2011, 11:45:46 PM »
Adam has been poorly treated at Circle Cow in the past and he probably has a bit of a thing about the contest. Joris has got skills and even if he isn't as original as the Kunmeister he's doing some difficult stuff.

We'll see the battle and judge for ourselves.

Being French is pretty unspectacular. It just means that you can get good cheese made from unpasteurised milk and enjoy a whole lot of nuclear power whilst not wearing a burqa.

Paul

Who are you too say that ?
Did you already come to the Circle Cow when Adam was there ?

Maybe it's a bad choice of words. I mean that he hasn't faired well in the event. He's had bad luck there etc. He's placed low at times and I don't believe he's won the event yet. In 2006 he was robbed of a fair go in the best trick contest where you were only allowed one touch and that was it. There was also a car crash if I remember rightly. Just my thoughts. It's a long time ago. Sorry. Poor choice of words!

For everyone out there I'd like to remind you that there is more to judging than what you see in the video. If you watch the footage from 2006 you'll think that Wolfgang should have won, but because his last trick (first time unveiling of the pumping no-handed blender) was outside of the time limit he didn't win. As a judge at the contest it was a difficult decision to have to make.

As for the comment about organising the contest for love - I do it too in Australia - and I use Circle Cow as my reference - it's the only contest that really caters for ALL riders.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:48:57 PM by Flatapult »

Offline Paul Chamberlain

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »
My vote in that battle would go to Joris. I thought that what he did was more difficult than what Adam did.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »
My vote in that battle would go to Joris. I thought that what he did was more difficult than what Adam did.

which would be fine if contests were entirely about difficulty.

Offline Circle Cow

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 01:32:08 AM »
Hi Paul
Thanx for answer. With other words i understand you now.
I know you make contest and thank you to use cc as a reference.
When i talked about who have never organised a contest it was Not for you, I  talked in general.
I remember the best combo in 2006, i was disagree with the judging ans nobody knows right after I gave cash to Adam for a second place. It was a secret between both but after 5 years i Can Tell it. He deserved it.
About the carhartt banners ans the others, I put them because even if they don't give money they give stuffs and This year i got for around 6000€ of stuff. They are partners and they Can put banners.
Talk to you soon
Pascal

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 06:10:12 AM »

this is right.

If i were to judge, i'd give more points to a riders who does a perfectly mastered combination of three simple tricks that fit together, than to a rider who does a link of 15 with sketchy moves.

I like the idea of seeing a link as a trick in itself. If you mix up all the tricks you can in one link, and tricks that don't really belong together, it just looks bad to me.

Offline wookie

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 06:20:12 AM »

this is right.

If i were to judge, i'd give more points to a riders who does a perfectly mastered combination of three simple tricks that fit together, than to a rider who does a link of 15 with sketchy moves.

I like the idea of seeing a link as a trick in itself. If you mix up all the tricks you can in one link, and tricks that don't really belong together, it just looks bad to me.

I disagree with this statement because you would only be judging by your personal bias for style. 
Someone that does 15 tricks in a combo but is sketchy vs. someone that is smooth but only does a 3 trick combo.  If they had similar difficulty levels for all the tricks I would have to give it to the guy that DID more!  Now if the 3 trick combo was harder, more original AND executed better.......well thats where it gets tough.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 07:48:05 AM »
i know this is very personal. you are totally right ! i'd make a pretty bad judge i think. ;D

It's just that i have no special interest in difficulty.

I did not get in Flatland because it was difficult, but because i saw someone doing tricks with style.

Only a few poeple succed in transforming difficulty into a style, i'm thinking of Marrti for example. In his case difficulty IS the style. For most other riders Diffciculty is just subsidiary to the style (not sure it 's the right word im using).

Judging is always personal, This is why there are at least 3 person judging. Otherwise there would be only one judge.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2011, 10:19:54 AM »

Only a few poeple succed in transforming difficulty into a style, i'm thinking of Marrti for example. In his case difficulty IS the style. For most other riders Diffciculty is just subsidiary to the style (not sure it 's the right word im using).

I don't think you quite understand how difficulty works...?