Author Topic: Lea Dobrowski: Women on bikes  (Read 18892 times)

Offline Mr News Bot

• Robot
  • GF Inhabitant
    • global-flat
Lea Dobrowski: Women on bikes
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:40:36 AM »
One thing I love seeing is woman riding in a male dominated sport. I believe that everyone, every sex, has the right and has the ability to ride in the same contests, and also ride at the same level. I have also noticed that when a woman rides, half the time she is encouraged and the other half, male riders put them down. To me it´s funny because I hear all these men say how they want to see women on BMX bikes, but unless these women ride like pros, they talk mad sh*t on them until a few years down the line those women have gotten to their level of riding or surpassed them. My advice to women on that one...

Click here to read the whole story

Offline MaykoLee

• Funky Chicken
Re: Lea Dobrowski: Women on bikes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »
you dont get it do u Lea!!!
most male riders DO NOT have anything against female rdiers
but we do have something against begainners whinning on forums,
women riders DO NOT NEED YOUR inspiration.
like Puala, Aude and many more they are strong individuals
and i believe all women riders are like them!

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
the problem is shes simply making a issue where one didn't exist before.

Before all Leas "OMG IM  A WOMEN YEH?" stuff no one was saying anything about girl riders, mainly because there arnt many but if one came along only "sweet good skills well done" but defo none of this "sh*t youre a woman!!" talk. Exactly the same treatment to any man, infact.

its honestly unique to lea, her sort of one (wo)man crusade against equality in bmx, because quite frankly things are so equal that no one even bothers talking about it anymore because its simply not an issue.

Leas making the issue by pretending to herself that every man she sees tells her to get back to the kitcehn or somthing. Simply just making an problem where one didnt exist.

THAT is why we dont like you lea. I'm stoked if people are stoked on riding regardless of sex but dont come bringing the "IM THE ONLY GAY IN THE VILLAGE AND GET USED TO IT!!!" talk because we simply do. not. care. because its NOT AND ISSUE and NEVER WAS.
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »
Lea I think it's great that you are really into riding flatland.  I don't think anyone is gonna knock you for that.  I know it wasn't your idea but I think the whole GF blog idea was a bad one.  I think it would have been super cool on your part if you had said "thanks, but no thanks" to the offer.  I think you would have gotten a lot of respect had you done that.  We are a small community so I think you would be better served to "just" be a rider like the rest of us and not "specifically" a female rider.  You've obviously put in some time to learn the tricks that you've got and that is awesome "big thumbs up" but let's be honest. You were approached about doing the blog not because of your outstanding riding but because of your looks combined with the fact that you DO happen to ride.  I think it just caught some people off guard and someone said "hey let's see if she wants to have her on blog?"  Just AXE the blog. "I am woman hear me roar" is NEVER going to go over well on this board. Don't look at it like you are surrendering.  It was someone else's idea and it was a bad one and honestly they should have known better than to put you in that position IMO.  Return to "just" being a rider like the rest of us.  When you learn a new trick post a video in the "today's riding" thread and you'll get a lot of pats on the back.

I feel pretty sad for you guys that resorted to all of the name calling in the other thread. You saw a "girl" with some "admitted" insecurities and you decided to attack her. Pretty f*cking pathetic/lame!

byke

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
"IM THE ONLY GAY IN THE VILLAGE"

Was thinking the same thing

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:02 PM »
Borderline militant feminism , yeh thats what flatland needs good job lea.

Offline MACE

• Hitchhiker
  • RAGE
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
Redeem yourself by actually helping others by Starting from the beginning such as equpiment, gear, music, mindset, place to practice, what to practice, vids and tutorials......hell i would ask you a serious question if i thought you had the knowledge to answer it. Start spitting some game instead of this  " we women need to blah blah blah"  I dont think even female riders are rolling with you at this point, at least none are posting.  Rectify the situation by taking it seriously and ignore the haters as i said before and flow from you mind and your heart if you have passion about the sport as you say.
cheers :P
deathwishriders for life

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 02:14:16 PM »
I can't think of a single instance where I've seen or heard of anyone even mentioning something along the lines of "pfft a girl rider heh".

I also can't remember ever noticing that someone was a girl before I noticed they were a rider. It doesn't even register to me. It's just, "hey cool that person rides flatland" and that's that. So I kind of agree with Chris even though I wouldn't put it in as harsh a way.

She's a girl, and....? :huh:

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 04:20:10 PM »
No one is putting you down Lea.  At the very, very worst, you might get a comments about how pretty you are from boys who just want your attention.  Is that really a bad thing?  That's not a slam, that's a compliment.    

I would say that in a sport dominated by adolescent, heterosexual teenage boys, no one is going to be upset that more girls want to be involved.    

Offline flat1ander

• Backpacker
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
No one is putting you down Lea.  At the very, very worst, you might get a comments about how pretty you are from boys who just want your attention.  Is that really a bad thing?  That's not a slam, that's a compliment.    

Well yeah, people are putting her down and its completely out of line. Even though I agree with most of what you guys are saying, theres no need to be so harsh about it. This whole column has turned into a really ugly scene. Just a suggestion, but you should think about laying off the whole "girl-pride" angle for a while and you might have a more positive reception...

Offline streetswppr

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »
i think its awesome that a girl has enough balls to not want to sell herself short. u dont need muscles and strength for riding, u need balance. and u would think that women, with all there high heel shoes and what not, would be better at it then us! but i seen a video or 2 on youtube of her and shes already busting some sick sh*t. keep it up. and to anyone with something negative to say is just insecure that a girl is rippin em.

Offline MACE

• Hitchhiker
  • RAGE
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »
post it
deathwishriders for life

Offline Sequencebmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 05:39:37 PM »
In almost every sport, women have a class or separate stage all their own. Women are not men, thank god or whatever. I wish people could embrace the differences and just enjoy them. I don't believe women should get back in the kitchen, but I would settle with one that would do it as much as me.....

As best I can tell, in today's society, women want their cake and want to eat it to. Yeah, I'm bitter, but the shoe fits.

Offline streetswppr

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »
its not like flatland is a team sport where u get stuck riding with a girl... its not football. if she wants to ride with the big boys then let her. its not like shes making a mockery of it. if anything shes bringing more people into the scene that wouldnt be here. if hello kittie becomes a sponsor then u can complain.

Offline ASC

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 06:01:41 PM »
"IM THE ONLY GAY IN THE VILLAGE"

Was thinking the same thing

BA DA BOOM...Bloody hell you beat me to it. lol.  :mellow:

Kitchen? Everyone loves the Kitchen. The rest house is just wasted space.

I've seen more bike pics in here whereby the bike was posed in the kitchen. Interesting.

N
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:15:05 PM by ASC »
RIDE......RIDE......RIDE