Author Topic: hey lets argue about judging some more  (Read 18501 times)

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
Re: hey lets argue about judging some more
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 02:12:33 AM »
awww emotion trying to troll so cute.

Offline E-motion

• Backpacker
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »
lol. take it how you want bud.  and is it just me or is dude - a tad bit pretentious. sort of like, he puts on a bit of a show.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:17:22 AM by E-motion »

Offline pimpy rider

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 02:45:40 AM »
Why dont they just bring in required elements like figure skating?  Would sure make judging easier. 

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 02:52:47 AM »
or.. just face the fact its FREEstyle and you can't judge something that is free.  :mellow:

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 02:53:59 AM »
lol. take it how you want bud.  and is it just me or is dude - a tad bit pretentious. sort of like, he puts on a bit of a show.

I'm pretentious about this because people keep f*cking it up and I don't sooooo  :rolleyes:

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
While I make mistakes judging like anyone else - I'd say 90% of battle judging is pretty easy.

Lots of good ideas and I agree with almost all of them, but the reality of it is that as long as you have to come up with an answer in like 10 seconds there are going to be flaws - its just difficult sometimes to analyze a run in that short of amount of time.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
f*ck showmanship but something there for style. Which is subjective no sh*t but certain things about style are not. like acting like you have some control over a link and not simply stumbling through.

EX. it should be a trace" percentage but should come into play when comparing two riders who seemingly have very little difference in all other aspect or categories of their riding.

now comes the argument about Martii having that kind of sketchy on edge style because hes trying impossible stuff. Which hes rewarded for in difficulty. Your not giving a dialed rider any cred for being dialed if we ONLY look at difficulty, originality, consistency and  variety.

On variety I think you should reward someone for exploring different techniques. No not employing scuffing on a steamroller turning it into a funky chicken to simply milk points, but definitely pumping some tricks then switching to some str8 lined insane whiplash links then jumping to the back wheel for a last link might set you aside from someone doing 100% whiplashes or someone doing 100% pumped circles on the front wheel. Juss saying a lil deeper than making sure he simply didnt do that same link over again.
Otherwise your just encouraging very flat style if you're accepting same style link with simply swapping links.

EX: A Scott Powell might do very well in this category which he should be given that opportunity to show what HIS strength is.

While I still agree with you fully on difficulty being the biggest part and consistency following. Perhaps "style" I'm referencing early in this post is control. is a "subcategory" of consistency in your model. i know how you think and I understand you do take how well someone is riding despite whether they touch or not is a factor.

If you had two perfect runs just based on "touches" this category becomes a total wash. It would be more difficult to say who had more variety, difficulty and originality between a list of perhaps ten different people you could name who turned in perfect runs..with no touch being "perfect".

WE NEED a system AND more solidarity between organizers in some way.

formats can be different for all I care. just give people decent floors. I mean if someone wants a contest to be promotional let them push battle format for the crowd. If a promoter wants it to be for the riders then let them ride their 3 minutes. but dont set up some system that will eradicate one or the other. 

Voodoo for me was ten times more entertaining than watching ESPN style dated AFA master style runs. It's like were show cattle being processed or something at the f*cking County Fair.

Were more relative however to beauty queens than gladiators no doubt. So allow that end of contest promotion to occur also...ala 3 minutes...or however many minutes you want.

Just have a decent floor!!!!!!!!

and one judging format. Yes you can have a battle format and still use categorized judging with judges. IF you have an actual system everyone understands going into it.

battle format doesnt mean a f*cking gong show.

Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 06:12:11 PM »
To me, it's all about creativity, style, showmanship, and execution.

Sorry, but you can't really judge style and showmanship as I've already explained in this thread twice I believe.

I do not understand why showmanship matters for anything to you guys

when you ride building your tricks do you really practice the "arsinsio hall"? sh*t?

I dont see where you fully address style TJ...but i just jumped in after pages....
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”

Offline megarawdeal

• Backpacker
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2011, 10:17:43 PM »
Let's not let the importance of suppressing inconvenient bodily functions fall to the wayside. I propose we include a "flatulence factor" to the judging criteria. If someone breaks wind during their run, points will be deducted based on the pitch, projection, and duration of their gastro event. Facial contortions suggesting impending flatulence will be penalized based on the difficulty of the trick, as to not be confused with the facial contortions associated with physical strain not related to suppressing flatulence.

I have no relevant input. 

Offline pimpy rider

« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2011, 02:11:57 AM »
Best way to judge a battle is to just plain wing it.  Go with your gut.  Theres always some way that having specific judging styles will make a contest unfair.  If someone drops several flawless one minute links hes been doing for years and his opponent does say quad rollaids no brakes, doeesnt do nothing else.   I give the win to the rollaids.  How could you not.  I could care less about variety or style in such a situation.  This is an example i doubt we'll ever see quad rollaids cause everybody nowadays is too focused on doing two minute links cause it works out better for contests, they get a longer turn.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2011, 02:13:05 AM »
Best way to judge a battle is to just plain wing it.  Go with your gut.  Theres always some way that having specific judging styles will make a contest unfair.  If someone drops several flawless one minute links hes been doing for years and his opponent does say quad rollaids no brakes, doeesnt do nothing else.   I give the win to the rollaids.  How could you not.  I could care less about variety or style in such a situation.  This is an example i doubt we'll ever see quad rollaids cause everybody nowadays is too focused on doing two minute links cause it works out better for contests, they get a longer turn.

And this is why you should never judge.

Offline 1pyroace1

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2011, 03:02:27 AM »
no doubt this open my eyes a bit more
"you may not change the world but you can change a part of it"

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2011, 03:42:18 AM »
as much as quad decades are awesome, judging shouldn't be that