Author Topic: What does a bike look like?  (Read 32101 times)

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
Re: What does a bike look like?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
This:

Or this:

;D

The Ozone ! i used to have this bike, around 1991 i think ... i broke it in two weeks ! but i was riding street with it too. At that time a lot of riders used to do both flat and street, and ramps...it wasn't so unusual at the time.

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »

i love this bike.
except the seat tube.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
How about the MCS Styler...anyone remember that pile of sh*t?  That thing was ridiculous. 
"A puppet no more!"

Offline dcheney

• Forkglider
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
The Freestyler and Ozone make me want to put on some Vision Street Wear! ;D

I'd watch someone use any form of bike if there is effort and style involved.  Cranks, crankless, brakes, brakeless, pegs, pegless, freecoaster, coaster brake, freewheel, KHE Dafunction, S&M Intrikat Signature, yellow quad triangle home brew monstrosity someone posted above or any combination of the these.  Talent and hard work can be applied using any device.

Personally I like a double triangle frame with some design/curve to it and attention to detail, 4 pegs, 2 brakes and a gyro, and cranks with a gear ratio that you can actually get somewhere with, plus a freecoaster.  I like to have all my options available.  I want to be able to ride to and from my session, take a few jumps and bunnyhop some stuff along the way.  Being able to stop and not crush the family out for a walk is a bonus too.  The only real flatland specific comprimises I think I'm living with are the flat specific geometry that makes the bike feel a little less stable and hard as rock 100+ PSI tires.

I type this knowing and appreciating that there are thousands of riders far more advanced than me riding configurations I wouldn't ever use.

Keep riding and enjoying this amazing sport!

Offline MIKE EVANS

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
How about the MCS Styler...anyone remember that pile of sh*t?  That thing was ridiculous. 
This is funny to me. Ive got a friend that rides with us that just loved this bike so much back in the day, that he has purchased two or three and has them complete hanging on the wall. Maybe I can get sum pics. You are right, that thing has tubes all over the place, for what reason, I have no idea. LOL

BTW How have you been, Tod? Havent spoken to you in a bit. Cant wait to come back to Texas.

MIKE
Formerly Known As Back4Good. (all the talk about people hiding behind screen names prompted me to change.)

Offline Rad255

• GF Inhabitant
  • Just laugh.
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 07:59:32 PM »
an original bmx bike to me would be the simple two triangle construction. It is obvious that this is the base from wich every bmx bike has been built. Even the Malysian frame we talked so much about, to rotation product frame, has been built around the two triangle construction.

The first bike i had in 1982 was a simple two triangle construction. Since that time i had lots of strange frames like the KHE lagger. Now i am back on a more simple looking frame.

It is probably the trend right now. People who don't follow trends see it often as something very negative. I don't think following trends is negative, i think it is more about accepting your part of humanity and the fact that you want to copy what you have seen, it is only normal that you want to look like the persons you look up to. That's why some wear skinny jeans at some point. I wear tighter jeans and to me they look like real pants.

The first BMX bikes were converted Sting Rays and they weren't double diamond. Just saying.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 09:53:41 PM »
an original bmx bike to me would be the simple two triangle construction. It is obvious that this is the base from wich every bmx bike has been built. Even the Malysian frame we talked so much about, to rotation product frame, has been built around the two triangle construction.

The first bike i had in 1982 was a simple two triangle construction. Since that time i had lots of strange frames like the KHE lagger. Now i am back on a more simple looking frame.

It is probably the trend right now. People who don't follow trends see it often as something very negative. I don't think following trends is negative, i think it is more about accepting your part of humanity and the fact that you want to copy what you have seen, it is only normal that you want to look like the persons you look up to. That's why some wear skinny jeans at some point. I wear tighter jeans and to me they look like real pants.

The first BMX bikes were converted Sting Rays and they weren't double diamond. Just saying.

yes you're prbably right. i remeber theses bikes, my friend had one i used to borrow all the time ;)

It did not feel like BMX at the time but..i certainly had wheels, bars, and i was going through bumps with it so.... ^_^ must be BMX.

byke

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 03:01:50 AM »
I'm still waiting on someone who can tell me what a bike is supposed to look like because I've yet to hear a definitive answer from anyone, in particular those who felt the need to tell others what a "real" bike was when it came to a certain frame that has been discussed in detail these last few weeks.

Offline fer40

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 04:03:16 AM »
this is what bike is all about

Offline Flatgod

• Backpacker
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 04:51:27 AM »
I'm still waiting on someone who can tell me what a bike is supposed to look like because I've yet to hear a definitive answer from anyone, in particular those who felt the need to tell others what a "real" bike was when it came to a certain frame that has been discussed in detail these last few weeks.

Perhaps this question should be directed toward Matthias considering he was the one who stated in a magazine something to the effect of not wanting to ride what looks like a "silly scooter bike". Whatever the f*ck that means... Shortly after all the dip-sh*ts followed suit.

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 04:55:07 AM »
a real plane is a plane that flies, regardless of the size, shape, speed, weigth, color....if it takes you from here to there flying, it is a plane.

a real bmx bike is a bike you can ride BMX with. But 'riding BMX' is not a function as precise and definite as 'flying', this is why the definition of a 'real bmx' bike cannot be as precise and definite, and this is why no one has a clear answer about it.

Some sports have rules that are very precise, like in soccer the ball should have a precise size for example, it is played during a very precise time with a limited and definite number of players. Theses are rules. You can say 'this is a real soccer game'.

Today there is no such thing as a 'real bmx riding', and hopefully never will.
as far as we don't have rules to define what a real bmx riding is, we won't have 'real bmx bikes.'

Concerning Matthias, i think he was just talking about his personal taste, bike esthetics.
Tatstes cannot be discussed.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »
what I got from this thread is that you can't have it both ways. you can't be all about FEEstyle and having it however you want it, and at the same time take issue with people's personal preferences or dislikes. you can't be about freedom and tell someone to just suck it up and like it anyways when they say they don't like a certain feature. that has happened a lot on this forum.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:48:42 AM by jm »

Offline jpoliti

• Backpacker
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2011, 06:14:44 AM »
poeple  arguing about something, i think it is very positive, it means that there are debates worth discussing. I see it as a sign of good health, to me it means that flatland is very well alive.

I always thought Flatland would die someday, because we are only so few around the world to ride flatland, and we were so few during other decades like in the early nineties, there was no one to discuss bmx flatland with, or not agree about TT length...

Offline fer40

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 06:32:24 AM »
the maning of bike