Author Topic: Flatland+Demo=More Riders??  (Read 3933 times)

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Keep on Riding!! wwww.bmxfreestyler.com
    • BMX Freestyler
Flatland+Demo=More Riders??
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »
The Sharp End Athletics Demo

We recently did a demo in Austin. You would think that a demo would help encourage more people to want to try and ride flatland. I always have ideas but I would love to hear what some of you all think about a better way to reach out to the spectators that are watching.
  As for me I will take the time to have a conversation some times pass out a DVD but those things are not always effective. I just wanted to throw that out there and see what other ideas people might have.

Keep on Riding!

Offline MarylandFlat

• Hitchhiker
Re: Flatland+Demo=More Riders??
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »
I agree with Jellyroll^ you've already reached out to so many people with bmxfreestyler it's hard to imagine what else you could do to get people stoked on riding. I need some ideas myself, here in Hagerstown Maryland there is no flatland scene. It's cool to be the only guy in town who can do bw hitchhikers and decades but it kinda sucks having no one to ride with. Oh well, youtube and the online community keep me stoked on riding even in the cold weather!

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 05:21:49 AM »
Mark I've always said that flatland is one of those things that when you see it for the first time you either have a deep down desire to be a part of it and do it or you don't.  It just seems that "most" people don't.  Thousands of kids riding street/park have had exposure to flatland "usually through video clips" but it seems very few have a desire to actually do it no matter how much they may appreciate it. Just seems to be the way of the world I guess.

joelweevil

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:10 AM »
and add to that the fact most everyone who rides wants some kind of instant gratification so they can justify why they ride. alot of kids who try to ride seem to expect to be able to pull maneuvers right off the bat. it takes practice.

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I say most of the things that are being said now. I know there is no magical secret to make people instantly fall in deep love with the sport that we love so much. Most people don't understand what they are seeing.
  One day I am finally going to create a DVD that will show people how to get into Flatland. I have been talking about it for several years. Its going to take some work but I think it would be a great tool to get people that are interested involved or even help find someone you wouldn't think would be interested the information the would need to get started.   

Offline raddad67 (Mark)

• GF Inhabitant
    • BMX Freestyler
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 03:13:43 PM »
Sharp End Athletics Jam

You can see in Jim's Video Tod giving instructions to Marko on how to working pushing the tire while in a backwards fork glide. Those kinds of things help for sure.

joelweevil

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 03:17:07 PM »
heck, lets turn it into a flatland army, kinda like how mat hoffman said it. we got the bikes to ride, the vids to motivate and the comps to display. its a freestyle army. Mark it's a good idea. sometimes people need a lil more to understand.

Offline bmxserdar

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »
nice video thank you all the best Flatland

Offline tod miller

• GF Inhabitant
  • ATX Crew, rollin' deep!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »
Mark, I think this is a great topic for sure...

Let me begin by saying that I think you, and bmxfreestyler do soooo much to contribute to flatland in general.  I think you and the rest of the ATX crew have made a huge impact, as our scene is known around the world, and we get many people involved in the sport/artform.

I think we need to approach this from many different angles.  You have brought us great videos and set up demos over the years.  Adam DiClaudio does great how-to videos for learning tricks, and has started a trick team to showcase the talent.  Team McDuff and Jim have fantastic blogs to add to your bmxfreestyler blog.  Weathersby is an amazing, polished show rider riding in the state fair.  I try to get the youngsters more involved by showing them basics and getting them involved.  Mr. Sequence has a great company that makes quality parts, etc.  Chris Balles hosts a great contest, with a down to earth vibe.  Everyone in the crew brings something to the table...and this is how you promote the sport/artform. 

I personally feel we should concentrate on the future.  Reach out to more kids who have interest.  I let Marco ride my bike and show him a thing or two, you guys let him ride the demo!  He was so stoked, and said "This was the best day of my life" as we left the demo.  Now he comes over everyday wanting to ride, or asking me about bikes.  I try to take a little time out of my day, to show him.  I would suggest that we have "clinics" to along with our demos/contests, etc.

Also, I think your DVD idea would be great.  Have different aspects of getting into riding discussed.  I think the whole crew could contribute to that DVD, and it would be cool to pass out to anyone showing a little interest in what we do.
"A puppet no more!"

Offline Tuftybmx

• Forkglider
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:35:05 PM »
  Doing demos gets peoples attention, the clinics can be tough on everyone. Flatland is so time intensive, that clinics are really tough to make productive. I think just rolling to skateparks and riding flat there is a great way to get some more kids/ riders into it.
  I have been going around with a show/team for the last couple of years and have noticed a big jump in interest for the flat riders. People might be getting used to flips and whips on ramps. But when they see some pinky squeeks or a bar ride they are blown away.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »
Problem is you guys are adults.

Your target market is already fractured by that fact alone.

Kids 10 to maybe 14 latist, are pretty dazzeled by cool things, be it f*ckin Yo-Yos, a dude who can knit 16 baskets in a minute, or flatland. However with this openess to new things also comes a short attention span. These dudes are taking in so much every day, that unless you're constantly there (Like the goddamned TV or PS3), you're quickly forgotten for the next shiny thing.

Now kids 15 - 16

These guys, anything an adult does is instantly NOT COOL.

Ya know, you're a youth man, you dont wanna be seen doing somthing some old geezer is doing. that sh*ts not cool. My dad used to listen to led zepplin and pink flloyd etc when I was a youth, I didn't want any interest in that crap that was somthing my dad was doing f*ck that that sh*ts instantly not cool. T'was only till later in life I actually appreciated the music and realised what was going on, but no interest when I was 15.

Ya know my instant reaction when I see some people doing a demo of whatever they're doing in a public square?

"sh*t those guys are desperate"

Theres something awefully cheesy and forced about the whole concept of doing shows - and i dont mean just flatland.

Remember once some yo-yo "team" or whatever came to school when we were like 13/14 - did a bunch of tricks whatever, we were all like WOOOOOW, next thing u know everyone buys a yo-yo from these guys they make a killing. Playground is full of yo-yos for about 3 days, then the following week everyones back to just twatting the football around the place.

I just reminds of me of that situation. It reminds me of the "sh*t we need to make money wheres the kids at" kinda feeling

it reminds me of the dude at the fair ground who has a megaphone shouting "Scream if you wanna go fastaaaaarrrrrr!!"

like those dudes who come in when youre 15 and do some f*ckin cringe act and shout all "YO WE'RE INTO RAP YO" then say "KIDS DONT TAKE DRUGS OR DRINK" everyone thinks instant "yeh f*ck that sh*t look at these pricks, pass me the crack and a spoon."

maybe im being overly negative i just think its an outdated meathod that really really doesnt attract anyone other than a group of monthers taking their children out for the day who go "ooooo look at the man on the bicycle, Russel!" then walk off.

honestly advertising to the youth is one thing you're better off just not trying to do. Ya know what 17 year old do you know that goes out and buys f*ckin disney sh*t or whatever, and products that use the words "edge" and "urban" and fukin "kool" spelt with a god damned K. NONE.

If youre advertising to teenagers you're better off just riding the bike, putting on the contests and advertising yourself like matthais does. (How I hate too say that, but its true.). Even what Lea girl is doing will gain more "interest with the youth/next gen than a megaphone, sh*t PA system and a routine at your local youth center will do. Get back on ESPN. Turn up to the Worlds. Get a page back in Ride magazine or somthing.

Just dont be that f*cking clown who does spinny sh*t on his bike down the local common on thursdays.

(P.S: Don't take my bitterness personally.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:15:33 PM by EZChris »
Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline jm

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
Thanks for being so candid Chris. I'm also going to be candid...but just this once as I don't want to dwell on it.

I really can't dispute anything you said there. On the video side of these things, my goal has never been to appeal to kids or even to get people started riding. I like to document stuff and make videos for riders simply to show the community what a genuine flatland "scene" in America looks like.  

As weird or even negative as it may sound (I don't see it as a negative tho) I'm not interested in getting more people into riding; more clearly, I don't do demos or videos for that purpose.  I think most of those that will actually get a bike and seriously take up riding will do so without it being pushed on them.  Honestly, I think people that gravitate towards riding go to great lengths to find out what they want to know/see regardless of how flatland is "marketed".

I was stoked on this demo because it was in a neat location with a lot of cool stuff and good people, and a rocking dj. It's really rare that any of us get an opportunity to ride indoors, so we made the most of it.

I really have no opinion on what will get more riders; that's a thing that seems to happen on a personal level; for example, the video of Mark's first decade I know for a fact, has gotten people riding. It was not his intention, as far as I know, to put that video online to bring more people into flatland, yet that's exactly what it did.

As far as anyone putting flatland "out there" in hopes of getting new blood into the sport; more power to you.  I don't know the magic recipe, but I can't really blame anyone for making the effort to do so.  I completely understand the reason for wanting it to grow.  Without making an attempt, there can be no success. For those that DO want to promote flatland and make it grow, keep trying and pay attention to what works and what does not.

cheers
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:28:19 PM by jm »