Author Topic: 48s going the way of the 44 Tooth Sprocket?  (Read 16314 times)

Offline megarawdeal

• Backpacker
Re: 48s going the way of the 44 Tooth Sprocket?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 08:00:46 PM »
"Them were the daaayyys"
Man, that's a lot of chrome. 

Offline JUGGARNAUT

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
just watching the Static vid in Media...lots of Chrome there too

"I Love Chroooooommeee.."

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:27 PM »
Absolutely some excellent points John and thanks for getting us back on topic.

I think your right about using Taiwanese bearings and such. The problem is that it is hard to convince the customer there is a difference.

OK you do have a point; my Hula Hoops with 12g stainless spokes were probably stiffer too. They rolled about like Fred Flinstone's car, but they were likely stiffer.

It's interesting you bring up the true key. I never had an issue with that. I vaguely remember what you are talking about, but I can't fully remember what it looked like. Then again I was always a little spoiled because I always had Park wrenches so it was never an issue.

Not sure I agree on the 48s for lower end bikes thing, but I do see the point in it. However I see the other side too where better (better includes easier maintenance) wheels are a buy up option. In that same vein, I would like to see it as at least an option. Every bike has 36 spoke wheels, but you can get 48's instead as an option.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
In that same vein, I would like to see it as at least an option. Every bike has 36 spoke wheels, but you can get 48's instead as an option.

Again, WHY?

Where is this sudden 36 hole rim genocide that's taking place to even spark this discussion? What parts are problematic for you and why the sudden need to go back to 48 when 36 is cheaper, it can be used to standardize hubs and rims so you aren't making two separate batches, it's a touch lighter, and it doesn't really sacrifice much in the way of strength if you let someone who knows how to build wheels do it?

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 10:33:13 PM »
I've had peregrine hp 48's, Super Pro's, and Weinman 48's, and currently run generic 36h rims off of a complete Verde I bought years ago. I've abused the hell out of my bobo brand 36 spoke wheels and have used them with drastically different set ups and riding styles.
I've found that having someone who knows what they are doing build your wheels is the best rim investment you can make.
Also, does anyone really miss 44 tooth sprockets?

I remember Weinman rims! If I remember right the RL Edge rims where also technically a Weinman rim.

As a wheel builder of many years, I completely agree. Have to admit I do miss building a really nice set of race wheels from time to time too.

I guess I don't actually miss the old 44t sprockets, but it is always sad to see something that was a standard so long, go away. It use to be that you couldn't say "It's all about the 4130" without following it up with "The 44/16." lol I guess that is the point though; I don't think its time for 48s to be some piece of nostalgia quite yet.

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
Good points all around John...and I trust you had a much better Xmas this year!!?!?!

Happy New Year too!

well 2010 was a horrible yr for me, not only the flood but both cars goin thru major repairs, then my mom passin away, but this christmas was good for the girls even though it was one person short now.

Sorry to hear that man. Heres hoping 2011 is much better for you!

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
"Them were the daaayyys"
Man, that's a lot of chrome. 

Hehe my bike looked a lot like this until last summer. Nice thing about chrome is you can always powder coat over it. If it flakes, strip it down and your back to chrome.