Author Topic: How to get into upside down peg wheelies  (Read 2425 times)

Offline TheGingerKid

• Funky Chicken
How to get into upside down peg wheelies
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »
So I've been playing a lot with back wheel and now I want to start learning upside down peg wheelies (is there a better name for these?).

I've been trying to get into the trick from caboose but can't figure the jump or how to turn my body to get into the right position.

is there any tuts for this specifically?

Also from a goofy time machine (handle bars lead the spin) its real easy to get into the upside down peg wheelie but how do you keep the spinning going? I always end up going in just a straight line with these wheelies.

Thanks!

Offline Furball

• GF Inhabitant
  • New York rules, Boston drools!
Re: How to get into ice creams
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:05:41 PM »
So I've been playing a lot with back wheel and now I want to start learning upside down peg wheelies (is there a better name for these?).

I've been trying to get into the trick from caboose but can't figure the jump or how to turn my body to get into the right position.

is there any tuts for this specifically?

Also from a goofy time machine (handle bars lead the spin) its real easy to get into the upside down peg wheelie but how do you keep the spinning going? I always end up going in just a straight line with these wheelies.

Thanks!

This trick is called ice cream. And the "goofy time machine (handlebars lead the spin)" is called spinning gerator. ;)

Small | Large

Halflash to forward rope-a-roni to ice cream (1:32)
Small | Large
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:24:08 PM by Furball »
Remember, grammar is the difference between "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse", and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse".

I just started getting into flatland stuff about 3 days ago and suck so far, I blame my sh*tty bike and lack of practice.

Offline iceqb25

• Backpacker
Re: How to get into upside down peg wheelies
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »
I can do upside wheelies only in a straight line and i cannot figure out an easy way into them because im a beginner

Offline Mark McGrade

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:58:37 PM »
I've been recently playing with these and found the easiest way is from a Rope a Roni, check out around 1:20 from a small edit I made a few weeks back.
Getting out is (a least for me) WAY harder, right now I'm working to turbine it to a forwards Peg wheelie then going into a Lardyard from there....but I've yet to even come close.

Lunch Break

Offline D

• Deathtrucker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:05:30 PM »
There's probably dozens of ways to get into this one, but the way I usually do it is this....

1.) halflash so you're rolling forwards with the back end of the bike leading
2.) push up into a forward rope a roni, but push the bike past vertical let go of the bars.  
3.) catch front pegs and roll forward.  you're now doing an upside down peg wheelie  I usually grab the inside peg (closest to the side of the bike I'm on) with my right hand, but either way works and looks good.  

You could also go directly into one from a macaroni (lifting directly into a rope a roni with no halflash, just start on the side of the bike and wrench the bike onto the back wheel and upside down.  Or you could do half an undertaker.   

1.) caboose/ stick bitch
2.) in one motion, foot on back tire, step over the bike so your now facing the bike instead of beside it  (caboose position), kick the tire to get your momentum going again.    You're now rolling backwards.

Or you could do a hitchhiker scrub the bars and flip the bike to the upside down position, jump over it to the back pegs while doing a body varial, and land in the upside down backwards peg wheelie.  (Brian Tunney invented this one)

Or you could do a double footed coasting caboose and body varial jump into it. 

Or you could mega spin to bike varial into it. 

To spin either one, just lean harder into the spin.  
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:10:43 PM by D »

Offline TheGingerKid

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 08:09:19 PM »
Well that caboose -> ice cream is what I was afraid it would be. Have to jump and spin my body to get the position. That's just gonna take some time as I always find planting a foot on the tire to hold the bike still pretty difficult.

Rope a roni is something I've played with so I'll have to get that down but other than that the hardest part is def getting out of an ice cream =P

thanks everybody

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
Doing it from a caboose is hard, but keep trying it. I recently figured out NOT to pause while perched on the tire. It's not really jamming your foot in either...you want to grab both front pegs, that will force you to turn your whole body around, and stay light on your feet!

Move your feet and your torso REAL fast and you won't slow down too much...good luck dude.

Offline JFos

• GF Inhabitant
    • www.myspace/richardmccoy.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »

12 and a half easy steps to upside down

A) if you have pedals roll forward very slowly....maybe even uphill so you dont get carried away with yourself..(which will also prove helpful later)

B)as you creep to a near stop with both hands grab the sh*t out of your back brake lever side...)HAS to be the right side per your flatland manual) and apply the locking lever.

C) lower (slam as hard as possible) bike to side of bike so its resting on axles and handlebar grip (if referencing brake illustration 15-c of flatland manual that would be the left side(also note illustration 15-c4364356 for doppelganger allows you to do this trick either way which might help as you advance into doing getting upside down whips)

D) at this point you can toss in some variation on your path to upside down..(see track stands or handstand with bike on its side trick in glossary) if you see no need in this then proceed to D) (you have to in other words)

E) CRITICAL: test that brake is fully applied with a couple taps and bars are straight as you want them to remain straight through the gettin upside down part. If brake is on right side then take left foot and place on side of top tube facing right ..away from bike like your ashamed.

Fa)grab front right peg with left hand and dangle right foot while you simultaneously pull up and kind of kick leg back to maximize leverage. If you need to rock and back and forth a bit so be it...style is individuality. AS bike rises almost magically or rolls over grab other front peg with free hand. The bike should pull up as you straighten up and you should end up standing on the underside of the top tube holding on the front pegs.

Fb) (EDITED: you must unlock locking lever before continuing...sorry for not explaining this and for any injuries occurring because of inclusive walk through) Take right foot and apply pressure to lever to unlock brakes

G)you are now upside down and halfway there. Smile now.  ;D    (the pedals and drive train will operate in reverse now so be careful) start pedaling backwards while still holding front pegs at about 8.9 Fast As f*ck

H) when feeling confident pull up on forks and lean back. you should fall to rear tire.

I) dont panic you want to be rolling here. just remember to finish reading this so you know what to do next. KEEP pedaling and leaning back but not too a ridiculous point where your seat stops dragging. Maybe in the future. Keep pedaling.

J)as you slow down based on being bored, running out of seat, or simply being fatigued allow the bike to softly (smash the f*ck all from it) fall on its side again. This is tricky because your in motion. so simply stop. and aim for one of fifty spot you'll find every time you do this to plant your right foot as the bike falls again to its side so your back brake is facing up. If youre a planner type...have pedals set right pedal up...or down when it would be vertical depending how you view it.

K)now the bikes on its side. scramble around and do some above mentioned variations if you like but just get your right foot to the would be right pedal which if your not a dick you would be listening and understand. They have to match on the ride out. No ones ever won a heat racing cross footed. bMX people.

L)after scrambling for position...push down on the right pedal using it as a lever and your right hand on the now deactivated brake side grip to pull up your bike from the side. place left foot on left pedal and activate drive train to create forward momentum. if your good you can even learn to keep the locking lever applied and act like your using magic to raise the bike up from its side. by using no hands ...after much practice trying the basic variation. of course immediately unlock lever when both hands have been reapplied and pedal away.

I wouldnt do the Dennis McCoy footwork during the trackstand part of this sequence.

Hope I could help.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:44:52 PM by JFos »
Schramm’s Law: “The single most important contributor to a nation’s economic growth is the number of startups that grow to a billion dollars in revenue within 20 years.”