Author Topic: how do you people get your bikes so light?  (Read 6567 times)

joelweevil

Re: how do you people get your bikes so light?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 04:27:57 AM »
hell, lets all get super anal frickin psycho rowdy and drill the shoot out of our frames and turn them into rolling silencers!!!!!! that should save weight.

Offline Flatride

• Deathtrucker
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 08:29:43 AM »
My bike is like 19 pounds, I can't even imagine it being any lighter. I've recently become more street/flat kinda guy, so some light parts started failing on me. The ti axle in my Proper Magnati hub snapped in half, I put a regular one and it snapped too. Suelo Butt bars cracked. Rear axle in my old Ares Boo freecoaster stripped. I'm sure the list is gonna go on.

Offline ijdevil

• Cliffhanger
    • myspace
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 09:24:23 AM »
The easiest and cheapist way of lighting up your bike is to hit the gym hard for about 2 weeks....boom instantly lighter! WORKED FOR ME

Offline TOflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 09:31:25 AM »
Im pretty sure my bikes in around the 19-20lb mark.so far my Sick Child Aqueduct setup is lighter than a KHE Paris bike one of my friends rides. I dont even think I have very light parts on my bike to begin with.

Tanakas, 1.76lbs
Suelo Microsprocket-nothing.
ares 88 pedals-100 grams at most?

I guess things just ended up working out the way they did merely by chance, and I personally try not to put extra things on my bike that I really dont need. Im thinking of making myself a nankai shell out of some scrap aluminum if I find any to replace some steel bolt. I dont have a profile nankai shell which I dont think i'll ever have because I dont want to have to re-lace my back wheel.

One other thing I think contributes to a sub 20lbs is the insane amount of machining I did all over the bike. I shaved off metal almost everywhere because I got really bored and I had a machine shop to mess around with for a while.

Offline jason_21218

• Backpacker
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 04:14:21 PM »
One other thing I think contributes to a sub 20lbs is the insane amount of machining I did all over the bike. I shaved off metal almost everywhere because I got really bored and I had a machine shop to mess around with for a while.

Back in the day trimming drop out was an excellent way to lose weight. I did that to my Sabbath and it made a bit of difference. Not much to trim any more in the way of drop outs...they're made small to begin with these days. I also used to trim off the top of the seat tube. I don't think I'd ever go in and drill holes in seat tube and BB and such.....seems a bit excessive.

Offline jason_21218

• Backpacker
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »
The easiest and cheapist way of lighting up your bike is to hit the gym hard for about 2 weeks....boom instantly lighter! WORKED FOR ME

There is also that. I need to work out. I concentrated on Road biking for the last few years and have no upper body what-so-ever!

joelweevil

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »
paddle a kayak 75 miles a week and you will gain upper body and torso strength. plus, its fun!