Author Topic: The Evolution of Biting  (Read 19478 times)

Offline Shayne

• Hitchhiker
The Evolution of Biting
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »
Disclaimer:  This thread is not being started for the purposes of sh*t talking, just healthy discussion.  We are all guilty of biting.

The other day I was reading this article http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/editorials/id.1621/title.stop-biting-how-many-rappers-can-ruin-a-good-thing-by-one?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4cd62618dab368af,0 about hip-hop artists biting each other.  The article highlights how in the past, biting was just not allowed.  If you were a biter, you were criticized harshly by your hip-hop peers, considered a joke, lame, a sucka, etc.  Then, it talks about how currently, hip-hop is all about biting.  Artists biting ideas, lyrics, artwork, etc.  Then the article closes with the quote " let it become Hip-Hop rule numero uno: no biting is allowed."

This got me thinking about flatland over the last 11 years and beyond.  I've only been riding 11 years, so my frame of reference is not as great as other riders who have seen the evolution of flatland over the last 25 years or more.  Their opinions are welcomed on the subject...

As of the last 4-5 years, biting has become a common practice in flatland.  So common, that it is the norm.  I don't even think that new riders even use the term biting anymore.  Biting is such the norm that we forgot what originality is, and when we're reminded of it, we almost sh*t our pants from excitement (you know the riders & their online videos).

So, for anyone who's been paying attention to flatland for more than the last 4 years (the Matthias era if you will), what is your opinion on the evolution of biting?

When I started riding in '99, originality seemed to be everything.  There were riders worshiping Paul Osicka, Andrew Faris, Martti Kuoppa, and later Jeff Desroche.  Originality was idolized.  So much, that new flatlander riders were beginning to copy these riders.  However, at this time in flatland, biters were NOT welcomed.  They were the jokes of other riders.  "Did you see ________?  He just did all of Pauls tricks, had double fronts, wore the white wristbands, and did flapjacks!  NOT COOL!"

This mentality seemed to stick for about 4-5 more years from what I can tell.  Biters were being ridiculed by other riders (including top pros) at contests.  Biters were being penalized in contests for biting. 

There were several riders who emerged during that time who became infamous for biting other riders' original tricks.  These were incredibly talented riders who were doing incredibly hard tricks, but they weren't original.  They were criticized for their work, and looked down on, even though they did hard tricks.  Much harder tricks than 90% of flatlanders are doing today.

So, in the late 90's and early 2000's, original tricks were in, and biting was out.  Way out.

Ok, so now we're at about 2004-2005ish.  Biting becomes more rampant.  It spreads like wildfire across the flatland community.  We don't even recognize it as biting anymore.  It's continued to spread up to today.  Look around, we're all riding the same, wearing the same clothes, riding the same bikes.

So what happened?  What caused this transformation?  Why/How/or When did originality go from being the most important thing, to being the least important thing? 

We can see it clear as day.  It happened.  There's no need to get in arms about it and start to defend yourself and console yourself by saying "No, thats not me!  I'm not a biter."  That is not what this post is about.  We all bite something.  The question is WHY the change? 

When/How did biting become OK and why?  I have a few theories/ideas, but what are yours?

cee el p

Re: The Evolution of Biting
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
Biting is not really the problem its that the "biters" stop there content that they are successfully replicating another guys links why? Everything i have ever done that is considered original started with biting someone who inspired me then using that as a ladder to the next level , its all about having ideas of where you want to go . Just to quickly highlight europe here we really have extremes of both ends which is interesting  the do your own thing types ( melos, keelan, martti , valder, myself , markus redbleirgh(sp)  and a bunch of others ) and the most hideously guilty unoriginal straight up carbon copy biters ( Dominik ,kimmo , some people in uk who i wont mention for fear of hissy fits , All the matthias clones etc and a couple people on here ). The only people who think matthias is original are people who dont know whats gone down in flatland . So yeah my closing line would be there is no excuse to bite and stop there do it as a ladder to your own sh*t , in a sport of limitless variations there is NO f*ckING EXCUSE to carbon copy.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:28 PM »
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Shaquille O'Neal biting Special ED!!!
"I'm your idol, the highest title, numero uno"

and don't ask why I was listening to Shaq rapping in the 1st place, I think it was on Radio Disney.  Blame my kids...

Anyway, like Ciaran said, if you bite, take the ball and run with it...take that sh*t to the next level!!!

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »
I blame teh internets.

Offline EZChris

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:26 PM »
Its interesting you made the comparason to music - i've seen a few genres of music go from absolute awesome forward thinking original style to mindlessly cookie cutter bandwagon thing - most noticably is drum and bass in the early 2000's and dubstep in around 2007/8 to now. Garage before that, hardcore before that, and so on and so forth.

Thing is with music the people who are pushing things, and thinking forward just move on to the next thing - raise the bar once more, constantly strive for a new sound - you still have ALL the cookie cutters who are late on he bandwagon but if you know where to look and who to follow, what labels are pushing it and where stuff goes down you can see people are always going forward.

i'm sure its the same in flatland aswell, only difference is exposure - the majority of people who expose themselfs are the clones - and its the same with music, all the people pushing it forward dont need to expose themselfs because if you know, you know, right?

Not sure what my point is, its just some thoughts.

Proud member of the Spaff Cartel.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »
I don't think it's entirely fair to throw Dominik in there as he stands today. He was a pretty hard biter a few years ago, but he's got enough of his own sh*t for me to confidently say he's definitely moving in his own direction. That's not to say everything he does is 100% original, but when you start getting to the nuance and the spaces between spaces in tricks, there aren't many guys out there who have stood out to me in the last 10 years or so that really are that original to begin with.

There are quite a few people you could name who bite HARD who rarely go mentioned, and I don't think it's worth the trouble of pointing them out, but I think some guys are way more vilified than they need to be. Biting on the whole is pretty lame considering all there is to do out there. I've always tried to find my own little unique ways of doing things, but sometimes I do sh*t simply because it seems like a fun switch/trick to learn. Is it biting? Maybe. But I'm also not going out of my way to put my name on tricks that aren't mine the same way many of these guys do.

It's a touchy subject, but I think everyone mentioned deserves fair treatment and examination on a case by case basis in order to come to any kind of consensus as to what's "allowed" and what's not. IF people start by biting other people, and we all do it, and then move onto something more original, then give credit where credit is due, and don't get caught adhering to the infectious stigma that is labeling people a "biter".

Offline MICHELE

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:55:09 PM »
Its interesting you made the comparason to music - i've seen a few genres of music go from absolute awesome forward thinking original style to mindlessly cookie cutter bandwagon thing - most noticably is drum and bass in the early 2000's and dubstep in around 2007/8 to now. Garage before that, hardcore before that, and so on and so forth.

Thing is with music the people who are pushing things, and thinking forward just move on to the next thing - raise the bar once more, constantly strive for a new sound - you still have ALL the cookie cutters who are late on he bandwagon but if you know where to look and who to follow, what labels are pushing it and where stuff goes down you can see people are always going forward.

i'm sure its the same in flatland aswell, only difference is exposure - the majority of people who expose themselfs are the clones - and its the same with music, all the people pushing it forward dont need to expose themselfs because if you know, you know, right?

Not sure what my point is, its just some thoughts.

holy words.
If I ever see a flat rider do a hop-to-wallride, my head would explode.

Offline Shayne

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 01:10:39 AM »
What do people think about Ground-tactics and it's relationship to this topic?

People are always looking for incentive to do things and Ground-tactics could be seen as rewarding those who are original. What impact could that have? or not?

That's a good point.  According to Ground-tactics, it is about progression, originality, difficulty, individuality, and positivity.  Originality and individuality are basically the same, and you cannot be progressive unless you are original.  So it seems that Ground-tactics places a huge emphasis on originality according to their guidelines.  Basically, 3 of 5 of their guidelines are about being original. 

So, I guess we'll see how the contest plays out this year.  Ground-tactics is still a new concept, but it's core intention SEEMS to be to push flatland by rewarding original, individual, and progressive riders.  You'd have to ask Chad J or Martti about that.

Offline B-random Fantom

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 01:39:59 AM »
I used to have really strong views on the importance of originality, now I would say that I simply value it most. Flatland comprises a fairly large group world-wide and with the quick and easy diffusion of tricks and combos over the internet, it seems, mimicry was bound to spread like wildfire. Not sure where exactly I stand on this issue now, I mean, life is short, you should not feel hindered about trying a trick just because someone beat you to it. You are free to enjoy riding as you will. Locally, however, groups of riders are much smaller and alienating a rider simply because he or she isn't very creative seems kinda harsh. On the other hand it gets really boring really quick to see a hundred web edits by a hundred fresh upstarts doing their best to look and ride like Matthias or whoever.

Another thing to think of is that although there are next to infinite combos one could try to pull off, there are really a limited number of central positions that almost everyone starting up now is learning first (i.e. the new basics) with these standards in place its no wonder so many ride the same way doing the same stuff.

In a sense, it seems partly self imposed. Because scuffing and certain kinds of frame whipping tricks are no longer *cool* modern flatland has artificially limited itself to the new standards I alluded to (i.e. turbined steam rollers and cliff-hangers for example). If people stopped following such trends and standards and started just exploring unique trick ideas for the sheer enjoyment of it we might see more creativity once again.
Enough! I grow weary of your foolishness ninjas.

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 02:16:09 AM »
One thing that definitely concerns me is that by labeling someone as a biter, the notion sticks long after someone has proven that they are more than a one trick pony. If Dom did whole lines of original tricks (which I've seen him do in person, and he hasn't done a web edit in forrreeevver so who knows what he's doing now), people would persist in calling him a biter. What happens when all those comments add up and he or someone like him is no longer willing to share what they're doing? What happens when they come up with something wholly original? They'll just assume they won't get a lick of credit for it, so why bother?

There's a fine line between calling someone a biter to simply make them aware of the fact that people around them are taking notice, and calling someone a biter with hate in your voice. Which seems more productive? Setting a precedent that biting isn't tolerable, or just letting people know with a nudge that it's a bit of a faux pas to copy tricks or links are two vastly different things. I think the majority of people will publicly (forums basically) say that they are against biting and all these things, but has anyone who is like that actually approached anyone in sincerity and told the biters how they feel? Dave Petrin used to get a lot of flack back in the day and he's a f*cking monster of a rider, and he walked straight up to Martti at Metro Jam in 2003, asked if it was okay to do his tricks, and Martti just kind of went "eh sure doesn't bother me". Does that make it acceptable?

If there is a problem between riders with respect to who does what trick when, I think it should be left for the riders to decide, not everyone else. This goes doubly at a contest. If someone can step up and do your trick better than you, then something has to change. Is it correct in saying that the person who did it first should only be allowed to do the trick, or the person who can do it better? What does it say about the sport if every trick is kept as a closely guarded secret that only a certain number of riders can do?

I am not accusing anyone of doing anything here in particular, but this subjects come up a number of times throughout the years that I've been riding and it always perplexes me when I see the wide range of opinions that are offered on the subject. Some say let bygones be bygones, other people practically call for biters to be drawn and quartered. Interesting.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 02:53:31 AM »
I generally tend to agree with TJ and B-random above (and think Dom is unfairly tagged).

Also the fact that everybody sees everything nowadays on the internet has us all trying out similar tricks we think look fun to learn, in a more magnified way than was so in the old days with only VHS movies and magazines. Back then it seemed like there were more people around me doing it so it was more important to stand out and not copy your friend's tricks. Now I know way more people worldwide riding flatland than I did back then, but definitely less locally, if that makes any sense. And because of that flatland has become more of a commodity, or a common, sharper-defined, kind of discipline now, and therefore possibly more homogenized as we all sort of pursue it together.

I still value originality very much, but I don't necessarily consider the trick as being unique unless it's a very special trick, like maybe the Katrina, or ummm Perry Doom? It has to have some large over-arching characteristic for it to be considered a "signature" trick, otherwise it sorta falls into the public domain lexicon of the grand flat glossary as we all absorb it. I admit that it seemed like there were more different styles back then, but yet somehow i'm still convinced flatland has evolved a lot in the last 25 years. In the past 5 years? maybe less so, I dunno, I think yes in some ways.

However, if I had a really special trick I had bit from a friend (and I ain't above bitin) and we were at a contest competing against one another it would be really provocative for me to do it first. The distinction is there somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:53:42 AM by ortho »

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 03:27:28 AM »
OOH just thought of another thing.

Back in the day with those guys we were talking about a couple dozen different guys doin crazy unique stuff, but nowadays we are seeing hundreds of different riders of all different skill levels putting stuff out there. They can't possibly all be unique, right? How many Osickas could this world contain/provide?

As far as the top contenders right now, i would say they all have a pretty fair distribution of strengths and weaknesses and beyond that there often seems to be this off-the-wall bmx vid that gets posted that has me re-evaluate this or that.. basically i'm not lacking for creativity in this discipline. not trying to sound too defensive, more like coming from someone who came BACK to flatland from skating after a long time and who thinks this sport is pretty freakin original, surviving and inventing, despite the odds, especially now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:56:40 AM by ortho »

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 03:55:10 AM »
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MkJtkbhOhNs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MkJtkbhOhNs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Offline jmctigret

• Backpacker
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 04:05:16 AM »
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnSDXSvEmek?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fnSDXSvEmek?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Offline 2flat2furious

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:51 AM »
Thanks for contributing the script errors to the discussion at hand. I can see that you tried to post videos of Chase and Kevin, however I think anyone with half a brain will be able to easily tell you that we've moved beyond that era of riding and bringing it up doesn't really accomplish anything other than stoking the flames of an age old debate about who invented what to begin with that is hardly relevant to the discussion you just spammed.