Author Topic: Need opinions: Colony Cube  (Read 11680 times)

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
Need opinions: Colony Cube
« on: November 07, 2010, 02:36:18 AM »
Looking for some opinions on the Colony Cube frame.

Not looking for other frame suggestions; just opinions on this frame.

"It's ugly" doesn't help. How it rides is more important than how it looks.

I really wish the ratings on parts on this site let you add comments too. Would alleviate a lot of questions like this.
Kids, you only get one face in life - don't spend it on pavement

katobmx

Re: Need opinions: Colony Cube
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:14:21 AM »
I've never ridden one but the specs are great(similar to a frame I'm riding) also the fact that its over 4lbs puts me at ease that it wont snap in a couple months

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 03:24:45 AM »
Yeah that is kind of what I am thinking.

LOL I am actually going the other direction. I have a KHE Premium Lagger that I love the geometry on, but it is way freakin' heavy. If you want a laugh, go to the parts section and list frames from heaviest to lightest. Yep Premium Lagger is on the top of the list. I can loose 3.5 lbs off the bike just by switching!

I really like the specs too. Good point on the good balance of weight/strength. Hadn't thought about it from that angle.

katobmx

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »
I'm riding a 6lb sres force frame. great geo but you know heavy

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »
At least I'm not the only one. lol

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 04:08:23 AM »
are you looking to buy one?
if so, i have an 18" black version if you are interested.
message me
Signing out...

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 04:15:25 AM »
So close brotha. Looking for a white one. Doubt you could beat flatland fuels $200 clearance anyway.

Offline metalbmxer

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
dope lifetime warranty and a ton of downtube clearance.

honestly though, straight tubed frames appear to be all the rage, which may affect your opinion of it a few months after riding it.
Dax (now in LAS VEGAS as of July 2022)

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
honestly though, straight tubed frames appear to be all the rage, which may affect your opinion of it a few months after riding it.

Yeah I try to avoid trends though. I try to ride what works rather than what the latest trend is.

Pretty soon every flatland frame will be the same just like it is in street and vert. Kinda sad really.

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »
i rode this frame it's great. no problems and the geo is spot on. rode for a year and it didn't break and i'm pretty hard on parts/frames.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:53 PM »
Light, lots of colours, good geo and lifetime guarantee. You cant go wrong with that!

I'm a beginner (8 months) and got the cube maybe 2 months ago. I am not like the beginners who post stupid questions like "how do I fork glide", I've been seriously abusing this frame since it came in the mail. I ride for hours every day unless it's raining, and I use it to commute to work and school every day. I also do tons of hops and basic street flows so I know it can take some decent impacts.

I have been learning steams /back steams/hitchhikers/halfhiker/hang 5s/megaspins and stick-bs. I know I'm not as hard on the frame as other more experienced riders who are learning tricks like whoppers and whatnot, but I weigh 200lbs and so far no damage besides scratches. I am very gentle with my bike and I make my best efforts to save my bike on bails, but I still think it would stand up to the damage if I was a little more reckless.

I'm not sure how the warranty will work out after reading that thread about KHE and FF, but I've only dealt with FF from the start and even drove through the shop on a road-trip through the states - everybody there has been nothing but helpful thus far.

I hope this helps, cheers!

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
James that is extremely helpful. Exactly the type of info I was looking for and it tells me a lot.

Good to hear it can hold up to a bit of street stuff too. I like that option.

Yeah I read that thread and it seems like a lot of sour grapes to me. I pretty much agree with the response from FF.

Thanks again!

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 11:22:05 AM »
I just posted a pic of it in my profile, just in case you want to have a look at one built up.

I'm glad I could help, I know it can be hard to get a proper answer on these boards, so I figure I may as well share what experience I do have.

Hope it all goes well!

Offline Gabess

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:54:09 PM »
Actually, I received my DejaVu recently and I have to admit that the quality as well as zhe look of the Colony products are far the best I have ever owned!

Offline Jake4130

• Deathtrucker
    • Fameuse Design
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
Actually, I received my DejaVu recently and I have to admit that the quality as well as zhe look of the Colony products are far the best I have ever owned!

That's ironic that you bring up a "khe look." I'm actually switching from a KHE Premium Lagger that I love, but am really not liking the weight.