Author Topic: Panaracer HP 406 tires?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline VojTECH

• Cliffhanger
Panaracer HP 406 tires?
« on: November 04, 2010, 02:03:06 AM »
Hey,

first of all, sorry for starting another thread about tires. However, I tried to search the forum first and couldn't find any info on this tire.

Does any of you have experience with Panaracer HP 406 tire?

If so, how much pressure can they take? And how are they on slippery floors? Is there any difference between black and white version in terms of grip/adhesion?

Thanks!! :ph34r:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:05:16 AM by VojTECH »

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
Re: Panaracer HP 406 tires?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
how much pressure can they take?

For pressure : 590 kpa = 85 psi = 5,86 bar
From experience (of other guys, not me), the HP 406 can accept 30% pression more but Panaracer prefers to be prudent with that.
As the tanwall versions are 66 TPI (instead of 27 for the blackwall version), the tanwall versions are liable to accept more pression than the blackwall. Actually these tires are already considered getting a "tough feeling" after 5 bar ( = 72,5 psi)
TPI : thread per inch, that's about the weaving of the tire and precisely about the density of threads there.

For your others questions, maybe you have to find japanese riders here or in other boards to get a opinion because it has been said that these tires are largely used in Japan..

byke

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
I rode them many years ago and did like them and have also been looking at getting a set again

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:38:03 AM »
I have seen this tire on some Japanese riders bikes, Byke is it the same tire as the Panaracer/Peregrine HP from the late 80's ? Are these tires available anywhere other than Japan ? I would like to try them again... I liked them BITD...

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo

Offline Revig

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:24 AM »

Distance exports HP 406 tires : http://distance-cycles.eu/?p=225

byke

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
I have seen this tire on some Japanese riders bikes, Byke is it the same tire as the Panaracer/Peregrine HP from the late 80's ? Are these tires available anywhere other than Japan ? I would like to try them again... I liked them BITD...

-Roy

yeah, pretty much the same ...

Offline VojTECH

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »
Thanks for the info!

Mark (or Roy), do you remember what the compound is like on these tires? Soft/hard?

Cheers!

byke

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »
They were definitely on the softer side .....

Offline smiley (Roy)

• GF Inhabitant
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
I remember them being softer with good grip for polished wood gym floors that the comps were in back in the day... But I don't think I ever pumped them up over 90psi, so that could have aided the grip of the tire...

-Roy
If you are for real, you probably spend enough time on your bike that there's no time left for talking sh*t on message boards.

Of course, if all you do is talk sh*t on message boards, you're probably not as good or as cool as you think you are.

-- McGoo