Author Topic: What's so great about Frequency G's?  (Read 5919 times)

Offline 5hane 2.0

• Backpacker
  • 1yr. + riding
What's so great about Frequency G's?
« on: October 27, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
... not saying Freq G's suck, but I'm just wondering since it seems to be the most popular tire.  I've had a problem with the tread picking up little rocks and bits of glass.  Really throws me off when I'm doing a hang 5 to look down only to see a little rock goblin stuck in my tire.  Got plenty of flats with this tire also.  I found that the tread gets a lot of cuts and holes in it and eventually something gets stuck in there and would give me a flat.

Recently I've used the Suelo tire and I've really liked it a lot.  The tread has held up surprisingly well and it doesn't pick up any rocks.  No flats yet either.  Not really sure why this tire isn't more popular?  I don't do any spinning stuff yet, or much scuffing, so maybe that's where the Freq G shines.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:58:18 PM by 5hane 2.0 »
"Our greatest glory consists not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
Re: What's so great about Frequency G's?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I really wish someone would make a lightweight tire that scuffs and rolls good. Kind of elmsteet meets freq g. I'm tired of elm street being difficult to put on a rim, freg g for scuffing terrible and khe being too expensive.
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline mare

• GF Inhabitant
  • tmp®
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 10:23:11 PM »
hey shane, sweep will solve all your problems with glass and stones in your tires :beer:

Offline SunnyDaze

• Funky Chicken
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
I like them due to th R.L. edge factor. Anyone got an RL hub for sale?

Offline carld

• Backpacker
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:52:26 PM »
behind any building theres going to be glass, crap, staples, nails.  i'd just bring a broom or leave blower and clear it before riding everyday.

i guess i'm sorta neutral on the freg g's

their plus's:

skinwall (well i like skinwalls, it adds color. different colored walls id like too, like red or yellow).

they lasts awhile

roll real fast supposedly (look at the bad)

come in 1.75

the foldable bead i like

the bad:

they do seem sh*tty for scuffing, especially on always dusty surfaces

they roll but on rough surfaces like old asphalt, i lose speed almost immediately.  

they don't seem to grip basketball court "paint" at all.

my shoes seem to hate them, or me

odyssey should possibly make a 1.75 path.  i figure the fuzzy sides would make them scuffable, but the middle.. maybe just a solid rubber strip in the middle.

i do like foldable so i can carry an extra tire with me places.  

primo should just make a foldable wall, in 1.75 too.  the wall wasn't a bad tire.

there's other tires out there to try.. but not 1.75.  most shops just carry the monster-truck 2.125's.  

recumbant tires other than the primo comets, noone seems to talk about using.  
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:54:05 PM by carld »
Sorry I don't kiss ass, or care to follow, or copy.

Phatman

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »
Maxxis Grifter 1.85" Tyres are the mutts nutts! They roll really well & are good for scuffing. Plus they are stupidly light weight like 12.9oz

Offline darren

• Backpacker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:59:41 PM »
I like freq's.  Now I only used them for a few days until my comets came in.  Once they get a little dusty they suck, but you can say that about all tires.  They scuffed and rolled fine on the semi rough concrete I ride on.  I can't see myself spending almost $40 a tire tho.  I have comets now and I love them. 
Yo, we heard you liked Batman so we killed your parents.

Offline SNOOP

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
I really wish someone would make a lightweight tire that scuffs and rolls good. Kind of elmsteet meets freq g. I'm tired of elm street being difficult to put on a rim, freg g for scuffing terrible and khe being too expensive.

Maybe Colony will have this sorted when they finally release there tire....

Offline Mr. Acid Green

• Backpacker
  • beware of the TROLL.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 12:54:43 AM »

Maybe Colony will have this sorted when they finally release there tire....

wow looks nice a hybrid between primo wall and the new suelo... any specs on size or weight?
please dont set yourself on fire.

Offline ortho

• Cliffhanger
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 01:56:09 AM »
5hane it's funny that you can ride a spot filled with all types of gnarlies and you're more worried about bein distracted visually by them while you ride. I'd say keeping your area cleaner would be a good idea, but lol you seem to know what you're doing. Surprised you got a lot of flats before but not with the Suelos. My Suelos are about 2 months old and they have a few cuts and gouges in them. The casue of flats can be weird... Are you sure they were caused by crap you rode over?

I liked my Freq-Gs ok when i had them I guess. They don't scuff too well because nothing there for shoes to grip on and they were very slippery on smooth floors. They hold up well enough and the tanwalls do look cool I admit, but otherwise I think they are so popular because they have that "R.L." pedigree and mostly because they're easier to find (and less shortages) compared to the KHEs or Comets.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:58:14 AM by ortho »

Offline khe killah

• Administrator
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:42:56 AM »
Elm streets all the way, bit heavy but i never had a flat since i started to run em over a year ago! They are a little hard to get on but that cos of the wrap around tread and the rim lock... I like em so much, i just brought a pair for the gt show! Although im liking the look of those Colony's. Interested to see how they fair up

Offline DaviD (dave0)

• GF Inhabitant
  • Flatland from Israel
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
the spot where i ride 99% of the time loves my frequency Gs, they last forever on this surface, so i swear by them

Offline bhuffman

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »
The colony does look interesting although it seems they are marketing it towards street or whatever
You look like Marty McFly!

Offline bransyeah

• Backpacker
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
Yeah you're right. I wouldn't like to try a 1,95 tire although it seems to have a great surface.maybe someday they'll do a 1,75!

My freqs are OK but they sure could do better 'cause they seem to wear a little fast.Just 3 months and the front tire is at half of his life  :angry:
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."