Author Topic: Buying a New Frame  (Read 2572 times)

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
Buying a New Frame
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:55 AM »
I am thinking of buying a new frame over the next few months. I currently have the FF KHE Militant, if anybody can suggest some frames with similar geometry that would be great.

Offline Scuffy

• Backpacker
Re: Buying a New Frame
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:45:50 AM »
Which Militant are we talking about...the Am,the Pro,or the stealth?

I'm pretty sure there may have been slight geometrical differences between the three,but not sure...

Pretty sure your going to want a frame with a 18.8" to 19" toptube,13" chainstay length...seat tube and head tube angles...sorry,can't help you there but more then likely a 74.5 to 75 degree head tube angle and a 70-72 degree seat tube angle....

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly though.
Losers always whine about their best,winners go home and f*ck the prom queen!

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:53:39 AM »
Flatland fuel edition, the complete isn't on their site anymore, I'm sure I could find the dimensions using google, but I'm somebody will come along to make a suggestion who had this frame at one point - I'm hoping

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
When I had one, these were my measurements:
HT 75
ST 71
TT 18 9/16"
CS 12 7/8"
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline 5hane

• Backpacker
  • Beginner rider / 7 months
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
I had the KHE Militant Stealth Pro complete off f.f. and about a month ago it cracked, so I got the Twenty Circus frame.  To me the Twenty Circus feels pretty much the same, just a pinch longer (could be my imagination because it's actually listed as being 0.1 shorter tt than the Militant) and just a little bit heavier.  I had absolutely no problems getting used to the Circus, granted I've only been riding 6-months and I pretty much just do hang 5's, steamrollers and hitchhikers, so maybe someone more advanced would notice a lot of things that felt different but to me it felt almost exactly the same only a bit more solid feeling.

It's not about the bike. - Lance Armstrong

Offline robpossible

• GF Inhabitant
  • Crackpacker to kitchen table
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
That looks nice Shane.
1st law of thermodynamics: Energy can not be created or destroyed, it only changes in form.

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
That does look nice. I guess I'll probably have to say goodbye to my bendy bottom tube too, won't I...

Offline JamesRMcLean

• Forkglider
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
So I've taken a look on flatland fuel - I like the looks of the st martin happy place 2, the colony cube 09, or the khe stealth pro.

Any feedback on these frames would be great, I am mostly concerned about durability vs weight. I don't mind having a heavy bike, so making it as light as possible isn't really a concern.

Cheers!

Offline b_ron

• GF Inhabitant
    • PbNation
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:15 PM »
I had the KHE Militant Stealth Pro complete off f.f. and about a month ago it cracked, so I got the Twenty Circus frame.  To me the Twenty Circus feels pretty much the same, just a pinch longer (could be my imagination because it's actually listed as being 0.1 shorter tt than the Militant) and just a little bit heavier.  I had absolutely no problems getting used to the Circus, granted I've only been riding 6-months and I pretty much just do hang 5's, steamrollers and hitchhikers, so maybe someone more advanced would notice a lot of things that felt different but to me it felt almost exactly the same only a bit more solid feeling.

could be the seat tube angle and the height of your seat as well
Signing out...

pucker22

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »
So I've taken a look on flatland fuel - I like the looks of the st martin happy place 2, the colony cube 09, or the khe stealth pro.

Any feedback on these frames would be great, I am mostly concerned about durability vs weight. I don't mind having a heavy bike, so making it as light as possible isn't really a concern.

Cheers!

They are all good, I think it's really down to personal preference, do you want a shorter or longer toptube, angle etc, if you don't know then any of them will do because they are all good frames!