Author Topic: My custom frame made by PIR-BMX.com (Re-post)  (Read 12362 times)

byke

My custom frame made by PIR-BMX.com (Re-post)
« on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
EDIT : Please excuse this re-post, I accidentally deleted the original by mistake.

Dear Readers,
I wanted to post up a few pics of my frame as I am very happy with it.
Generally I dont usually post up pictures of my stuff, but this time I really want to give they guy who made this (Malo @ www.pir-bmx.com) big props.

History :
A few months back I had tried to get a custom frame made, and it hadn't worked out.
But after this I decided to dust myself off and got in contact with PIR and explained the situation and what I was looking for. After getting a good response, I then started to send over 2D drawings of what I wanted made.

I have to be honest, I had spoken with Malo from PIR before and knew what he was capable of (but still slightly unsure), and so I didnt hold back .... Infact I decided to tell him what I was after and see if he could pull it off.

Well within a day or so, I had a 3D Solidworks image which allowed me to see and rotate the design so I could see every aspect of the frame before it was sent of to be built. And within a few days we had everything confirmed and 100% ready.

Below is an example -

Geometry :
I have very strange taste when it comes to geometry.
And to be honest with such strange taste it can be hard to make a bike frame look good by using it, asthetically.
Personally I am really happy with the way the frame came out .... but I know that if I had applied standard run of the mill geometry that it would have looked even better.

The specs :

Head Angle - 74
Seat Angle - 71 (offset from the BB)
Toptube - 19.8" (approx.)
Chainstay Length - 13.8" Slammed
Bottom Bracket height - 18mm over axis (super low)
Long headtube

Other Parts :
As things were going so well, I also decided to get a few other parts made.
I got some custom made pegs (as seen in the pictures), a headset spacer (coming soon) and also have a pair of bars that we are still working on (a bar combo).

After I received my frame and parts, looking back on this build was a pleasurable experience for me as for me the most important thing when building any part is communication and there was never any time when this didnt happen.

Pictures :
Anyway here is the pictures I wont bore you any more but I am super happy.
Please remember that the frame is totally raw (unpainted / un-laccared) as I want to paint it later on when I  know what colour I want.

Big thanks to Pat at flatlandfuel.com for helping me source the brake mounts and obviously a big thanks to Malo @ www.PIR-BMX.com for making this frame for me.

Cheers

Mark

(you can get full size pics if you right click on the images or open them in new tabs)

Hope all is good
Cheers

Mark Pettersson

Offline manu

• Hitchhiker
Re: My custom frame made by PIR-BMX.com (Re-post)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:12 AM »
Congrats and respect once more!

byke

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:46:52 AM »
Cheers Manu.  :beer:

I forgot to say in the above post, this frame now features :
BYKE XNT DROPOUT TECHNOLOGY - Patent pending : 61369890

I hope to post more about this soon, as quite frankly this has been one of the absolute best new features I have used on a bike in years.

Offline Ultraman Zoffy

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:41:08 AM »
Next up... riding clip? Let's see that crazy frame in action! Very nice design, and I'm glad that the business end of things went smoothly. Professionalism in the flat industry is a good thing.  :beer:

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 02:38:27 PM »
all the pic's are gray boxes on my mac. :huh:
The french don't know Rock & Roll.

byke

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:59:41 PM »

Strange as the images are definitely being hosted on a website (not my own computer) and the URL is correct and the images are visible to me
(example  http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7682/dscf1631u.jpg) .....

I am guessing that where you are based they may either have imageshack servers blocked or there may simply be a tunneling error. If they dont work by tomorrow, just say and I will try and find an alternative image host.

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »

Strange as the images are definitely being hosted on a website (not my own computer) and the URL is correct and the images are visible to me
(example  http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7682/dscf1631u.jpg) .....

I am guessing that where you are based they may either have imageshack servers blocked or there may simply be a tunneling error. If they dont work by tomorrow, just say and I will try and find an alternative image host.

thanks, i'd really like to check it out.
i clicked on the link but it immediately came up gray.

byke

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:17:05 PM »
Does this work for you?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:19:28 PM by byke »

Offline Havokflat

• GF Inhabitant
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
thanks Byke, that's a great looking frame.

will you be able to go to a smaller sprocket?
make sure to keep us posted on how that cs holds up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:38:53 PM by Havokflat »

Offline kkmk

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »
Im still curious about the weld right in the middle of the seatstay. Why does it exist?

Also, if you deleted the original thread, how do you still have the original post (what appears to be) exactly the same?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:31:43 PM by kkmk »

byke

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »
thanks Byke, that's a great looking frame.

will you be able to go to a smaller sprocket?
make sure to keep us posted on how that cs holds up.

Cheers :)

Technically I could go smaller (in regards to sprockets) ... especially the front.
But I do like to be able to pedal to places and thus use a slightly larger than usual front sprocket by todays standards.

On the back I would like to use a 10T driver (so my gearing would be 10T x 26T) but there isnt much to choose from .... Nankai make a 10T driver, but its pretty pricey ...... KHE dont make a 10T geisha light which doesnt make much sense .....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:14:33 PM by byke »

byke

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
Im still curious about the weld right in the middle of the seatstay. Why does it exist?

Its an angle cut rather than a bend.

Also, if you deleted the original thread, how do you still have the original post (what appears to be) exactly the same?

Since the write up was longer than usual, I typed it up in word first and then copy and pasted it here ...... after going through my trash bin I was able to retrieve the original post and repost it :)

Offline kkmk

• Hitchhiker
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
This chain-on-the-outside dropout design. How much space is there for different driver spacing (from the hubshell)? It also looks like you couldn't put a much bigger tyre in there. Whats the biggest you can run?

Offline out~riding

• Global Team
  • GF Inhabitant
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »

Mark, there's one thing that worries me about that stay/dropout, it looks like you can accidently get your shoe stuck in that opening.. and worse, get it caught between the chain and driver...  :P Some sort of plastic cover would solve that.

byke

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
This chain-on-the-outside dropout design. How much space is there for different driver spacing (from the hubshell)? It also looks like you couldn't put a much bigger tyre in there. Whats the biggest you can run?

The spacing was built around my Nankai wheel, I believe this is one of the more narrow hubs, but there is still a good amount of space if needed.

I had the frame made slim at the rear so that I could run 1.75" tires.
Obviously if a rider has different preferences then they just order what they are after since every frame is custom made to the riders specs.

Mark, there's one thing that worries me about that stay/dropout, it looks like you can accidently get your shoe stuck in that opening.. and worse, get it caught between the chain and driver...   Some sort of plastic cover would solve that.

Actually its allot smaller than it looks (less than 1" high) and since I have manly feet LOL (us size 11 ish) there is very little chance I could get my foot in there (and even the corners are rounded) ..... plus because the rear end is even narrower than usual everything is more tucked in and since I am used to a normal frame, my feet dont seem to go anywhere near the chainstays any more and the chance of the cranks going anywhere near the chainstays is non existent any more. (I will try and post a dodgy phone pic in a minute)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:07:01 PM by byke »